First time to Sugarloaf

scooter

After reading the great advice everyone gave to terje, I wanted to find out if the same could be found out about Sugarloaf. I'm a little nervous about all the negative weather talk for the near future but am hoping that the northern location might luck out. We are leaving early Superbowl Sunday from Jersey and hope to get to our condo by 5pm. Our group consists of 7 riders of various abilities from lower intermediate to very comfortable black diamond fans. We'll be riding Monday -Friday as conditions permit. We have ridden all over Vt, NH, NY, CO, MT and CA. Any advice is good advice so let it rip. Thanks in advance and maybe we'll meet on the Mt.

Since you're coming up from New Jersey I would also recommend heading over to Saddleback for a day as well. The conditions are always a bit better over there since the crowds are smaller (and they have a bit more snow). It'll be great for all ability levels and almost the entire mountain should be open. Count on about a 40 minute drive from the Loaf on Rt. 16 west.

I did Rt 16 between Sugarloaf and Saddleback during Xmas - New Years week. Watch the bumps on the road.

skied Saddleback on New Years Eve with 8-10 inches of still falling powder. It doesn't get much better than that.

Scooter
A caution if you are used to being in the heavily populated part of the world. The roads up to Sugarloaf and/or Saddleback, and the road between them are very much out in the middle of nowhere for long stretches. The last gas is in Farmington, then none until Kingfield. Try to get to Sugarloaf in daylight, the view as you come around a corner on RT 27 is fantastic.

phil":3ur6ujse said:
Try to get to Sugarloaf in daylight, the view as you come around a corner on RT 27 is fantastic.

Not to mention that you'll better see the moose.

Welcome, scooter. The Loaf has your trail (Scoot). Given the time of day you're arriving you should consider taking I-295 from Portland to Augusta (avoiding toll 95--same amt. of time) and then 27 on up to the mountain. The traffic on the 2-lane part is a lot lighter that way. Far less frustrating after that drive and could even save 10-15 minutes.

You'll probably want to hit a S-bowl party. Here's a link to the village at the base lodge. LINK Loaf Base. I'd recommend the Bag in the baselodge area. The Shipyard is closest to the most condo's, and The Rack is the most rider-oriented--that's Olympian Seth Wescott's place that you'll see on the right when you FINALLY turn onto the access road. If the Pats fans get too rowdy just remind them that Maine was Giants country before 1960 (well, at least it ain't 1860).

This will probably be the coldest place you've ever ridden, but if you dress for it you can deal. 95% of Loafers wear helmets because they're WARM. A neckup is a necessity. Keep a couple of those iron-oxide hand-warmer packets in your coat pocket.

The conditions should be great and the extended forcast looks good for your stay. Sorry, doesn't look like the backside will be open but White Nitro and Powder Keg should be open on the front off the top. Saddleback is definitely worth a day trip. I disagree that the snow will be better over there; any slight advantage they might have in natural stuff is outwieghed by the Loaf's superior snowmaking and grooming capacity, and midweek the Loaf won't get skied off at all. Real nice glades at S-back, and it's more of a laid back place. But the Loaf has it for vertical, steeps, and size.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. We plan to leave 7-7:30am on Sunday so all travel should be in daylight. Have read about the great view on RT 27 and look forward to seeing it. As for cold it's nothing we're not used to. New Hampshire last year never made it out of the single digits and Orford, Owl's Head, Sutton and Jay Peak were all below 0 on the Canada trip a few years back. As for the moose, we need a picture to add to the collection.

Moose are a possibility, but other critters are more likely.

Between Xmas and New Years I had a close encounter with a deer after dark on the road between Sugarloaf and Saddleback. We missed each other thank heavens since I was in a rental car. Since I now live in the mid atlantic region I had forgotten how big deer can get up in the northern woods.

I also had a flock (8 - 12) of wild Turkeys in the middle of the road to Saddleback where it turns off RT 4. This of course is on a hill on a poorly plowed road in the middle of a snow storm that had already dropped 6 inches of powder overnight and is still snowing so be careful of the wildlife encounters.

A couple more thoughts: 1. The 295 route takes you through Freeport if you want to do the LLBean pilgrimage. 2. The upper mtn at Saddleback is served by a Tbar only, and it's a very steep ride. I've heard that riders can have trouble with it. Most of the mountain and all the glades are available by chair, but the real steeps and Muleskinner, their signature double diamond trail, are only accessed by the Tbar.

loafasaur":uzdknwj9 said:
... you should consider taking I-295 from Portland to Augusta (avoiding toll 95--same amt. of time)
Unless it's changed since we used to drive from Augusta to Portland I -295 is quite a bit faster than the turnpike.

However he should be aware that if he has an old map it will show 295 ending just past Portland and becoming 95. On January 5, 2004, Interstate 295 was extended north to encompass the original Interstate 95 alignment from Falmouth to Gardiner. The Turnpike from Portland to Gardner used to be 495, but is now 95.
/s/ Cliff

I would agree with the choice of the interstate vs the turnpike from south of Portland thru Gardiner and then taking Rt 27 from Augusta thru Belgrade to Farmington and Kingfield.

As I am a skier not a rider I am not sure how my experience on the Kennebago T-Bar will translate for a rider, but I had heard a lot about how difficult the Kennebago T-bar was, but I did not find it that difficult, and neither did my 12 yr old son (skier) who met his first T-bar the previous day at Titcomb in Farmington. Disclaimer - I did learn to ski at Sugarloaf back in the 60s when they only had 5 somewhat nasty T-bars. on my trips to Saddleback in those years I used to enjoy their gentle T-bars.

The top of the lift line can get a bit icy. If you do not have experience with T-bars you may wish to do a couple of practice runs on Saddleback's lower and easier Cupsuptic T-bar. Another Note Saddleback's Kennebago T-bar is steeper than Sugarloaf's #3(Bateau) T-Bar, and the pictures I've seem of #3 indicate that it had had the bars replaced with modern cable based bars, and Kennebago has the old Hall telescoping aluminum shafts.

I did not ski Muleskinner, but my son did several times and while he enjoyed the trail he complained that the traverse out there on Dazzler was a rather long hike. For a rider it may be better to take the board off and walk.

loafasaur":1m22g0b6 said:
I disagree that the snow will be better over there; any slight advantage they might have in natural stuff is outwieghed by the Loaf's superior snowmaking and grooming capacity, and midweek the Loaf won't get skied off at all. Real nice glades at S-back, and it's more of a laid back place. But the Loaf has it for vertical, steeps, and size.

Enjoy!

Loafasaur,

Prior to this season I would have agreed with you that the Loaf's snowmaking and grooming was superior to S-Back's but they've really stepped up dramatically in both of those categories and the gap has narrowed significantly. But as I was saying, S-Back just has more snow right now. The Loaf currently has 57 trails and is only about half open. Saddleback has 58 trails, 97% of terrain open, and there's another 7-8 inches in the forecast for tomorrow. Just something to think about...

By the way I agree with Phil that Muleskinner is a bit of a hike for riders, until they put the new false peak lift in, but there's some other great trails off the top. One of my all-time favorites is the new trail Governer, a double diamond that is a tight glade at the headwall from the top, and into a steep, deep, bumpy, winder the rest of the way. If you like glades, Dark Wizard and Intimdator from the top are about as challenging as anything in the east. Dark Wizard can be accessed from the top of the T but it's unmarked, but you can find a small goat path to the left off the T that gets you into it. After 7 inches tomorrow, it should be great.

It's too bad that the backside snowfileds aren't open on Sugarloaf. When the conditions are good, tt's tough to beat those as well.

Here's a good web-site for season total and snow fall. Saddleabck has 142 and Loaf is 119.

http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient/di ... e&state=ME

Glad to hear Saddleback has improved their snowmaking and grooming. The new owners are doing a good job. Your informative link shows both SB and SL with comparable base depth. It also shows that SB has groomed 29 trails and SL has groomed 54--all its open terrain. This has been how the new SL "owner," Boyne, has handled it this year after a "R" event like yesterday. They rope off "frozen granular." There's plenty of cover and more terrain will open tomorrow with the snowstorm and after another night of grooming. Both mtns will get 6"+ Friday, so Scooter should have a good week.

The replies have been a big help and our anticipation is growing by the hour. Our Sunday-Friday stay includes lift tickets so I don't think we are going to hit Saddleback this time. Thanks to loafasaur for the insight on the quick closure of trails. I assumed that trails were being closed for questionable coverage. It's nice to know that they should recover terrain quickly. We have been doing the snow dance here in Jersey but it has been hard to find a virgin to sacrifice. Your participation will be appreciated. Hope to be able to post some great photos upon our return. Pray for snow!

Phil,
C'mon lighten up...once up above Portland it's country. It's not your sterilized suburbia, but granted...the dirt, woods roads are often smoother than the less than often re-paved ones.
Scooter....just take it a little slower than rush hour @your local city....& you'll be fine, but as Admin meant...moose hair doesn't reflect light...and is pretty near impossible to see their upper body @night. Lighter hair near their hooves(on their thin legs) are the only early sign usually...also: quite a large deer population around the area.
*By habit it may seem like the lack of police around means you can run a Porsche up to the max..I spent ~20yrs working in the Boston area, but spent Springs/Summers up here...& the roads aren't built like turnpikes..and some of the few paved ones get little maintenance...there isn't a lot of space once off to the side of a lane.

$.01

scooter, enjoy sugarloaf, you won't be disappointed, biggest mountain lift served skiing in ne imo. you may get some snow mid week as well. i may do tues/wed at saddleback and or sugarloaf depending if the outlook is for snow. places to the south could likely be rain. i'll have a snowboard on each foot, icelantic nomads for hunting and gathering, i'll look for your crew if i'm there.
rog

Unfortunatly I am sitting here at work on Saturday only thinking about getting on the road. We have all of our supplies and gear ready to be packed. For those of you that think that NJ is totally industrial and overpopulated, I have regular black bear crossing my backyard along with countless deer and wild turkey. My property also backs up to 6500 acres of gov't owned forest. Our group is made up of 7 fortysomethings, all snowboarders, male and female. We are staying on mountain and will also be venturing over to the Gravity Center for some rock climbing and skateboarding. If you want to get our attention, we answer to; Scooter, Shortcake, Fatboy, Tuna, Little Tuna, Sprout and B. Look for the "Longboards by Fatboy" stickers on all of our boards. Thanks again for all of your advice.
Scooter

I'm paying the bills today, too, Scooter. Not that we're missing anything at Sugarloaf. The whole place is on wind hold right now. I'm doing a day trip tomorrow, and the wind is supposed to be minimal.

When you need to resupply groceries, it's 7 miles from your condo up to Fotter's Market up in Stratton. Turn left at the end of the access road and take 27/16 north up to Stratton village. Fotter's is in town on the right. You'll like the place. Fine wines and chainsaw oil. Good meat counter. It's small--don't look for a big supermarket. Closes at 6 pm. There's a convenience/general store in the village near the lodge that's pretty good, but Fotter's is the closest for a real grocery run.

Java Joes for morning coffee etc. Right behind the hotel near the base lodge. The Bag for lunch.

Didn't mean to dis you on your cold weather experience. With your string citation of states I thought "CA" was California, not Canada. My bad. Enjoy your week.

To Big Spencer
I grew up in Maine in the Augusta/Gardiner area. I once gave a College buddy coming up to visit directions(Late 70s when 95 ended at Topsham) directions, Told him to turn left getting off I95, then turn left at first full traffic light. He freeked out because I forgot to mention that it was about 30 miles and he did not see any chain fast food places in that distance.

I love the fact that is is country, but that much country can unsettle some people. Also I hate to see someone run out of gas on those roads.

...Ha, my bad phil...was on the fence thinking either knowledgable former local or Mass skier, which I enjoy picking on...;-)
8)

Back