Greek Peak - 2/1/2007

cweinman

Took the morning (and now a good chunk of the afternoon!) off to go over to Greek this morning. Waited the week out to slack off since they were opening the chair 5 area again as of today.

Started out by lift 1A and did two runs, one down Iliad and one down Alcmene. I had decided to take out my K2 Public Enemies since I hope to ski them in Vermont this weekend and wanted to get a feel for them again before then. Initial impressions of my first two runs was that Greek Peak was not packed powder by any means, but much more hard pack. Of course, central NY packed powder usually equals hard pack.

I set out on my third run to cross over the mountain on some green trails and took lift 4 back up to the top of the eastern area. Lift 5 was indeed running, so I did several runs down Mars Hill, the only trail they had opened on that side. Conditions were also pretty hard, but they had left one half of the trail ungroomed and natural which still had about 3 or 4 inches of loose snow on it (most of it untracked). I was a bit leery at first that I'd hit something since there couldn't have been more than maybe 8 inches of snow around, but other than for being pretty bumpy, I didn't manage to break through to anything in 3 runs.

Riding the damn triple without a foot rest had my legs cramping pretty bad, so I decided to work my way back across the mountain to the other base area. It was quite a site to see the clear cutting they did above the lift to hopefully expand soon. The extra trails on the east side of their ski area would help spread the place out a bit more. Snow was being blown heavily on Hercules, the new black trail they cut, and I imagine it will be open by this weekend. Pitch looks really nice and I imagine I'll get a chance to ski it next week. Zeus was no where near ready (no base on it yet). I took two runs in the chair 4 area, Trojan was decent and not quite as hard as some of the first trails I was on.

Headed back down and found that lift 2 was now running, so I lapped the medium feature terrain park a few times. I don't like railing my skis, but do enjoy jumps and an occasional box.

Finally, did a few more runs off Lift 1A. Conditions had softened up a good bit with the sun and temperatures in the mid to upper 20s (versus the teens in the morning). Checked out Odyssey which had some of the best overall snow on it I saw at the mountain. Also skied the moguls off of Elysian Fields. There were a few places that the troughs were showing dirt, but you could easily avoid them.

Overall, pretty nice 3 hour marathon this morning. If we could just squeeze out 6 to 12 inches of natural snow, everything would be in so much better shape.

I'll post trip reports from Stowe on Sunday and Killington on Monday and try to have my fiancee take some pictures of myself falling down Goat and Outer Limits.

-Craig

cweinman":25iq0kbu said:
I'll post trip reports from Stowe on Sunday and Killington on Monday and try to have my fiancee take some pictures of myself falling down Goat and Outer Limits.

Looking forward to seeing those. :p

To quote:
" Initial impressions of my first two runs was that Greek Peak was not packed powder by any means, but much more hard pack. Of course, central NY packed powder usually equals hard pack. "

Far be it from me to defend central NY conditions, but I was out Thursday evening at Greek and for what it's worth, it wasn't half bad: No, no real powder, but no ice, either, thanks to the nice, consistent, below-freezing weather we've had since things turned normal. (An awful lot of school groups out, along with racers training, but I digress). Today, the site's reporting 6 inches new in the past 24 hours, presumably mostly lake-effect. That's nice. I'm also happy to see Arethusa and and some glades open.

Now, let's hope Olympian, Zeus, and the new Hercules are going to open, and that the mountain crew will let some real bumps form on Iliad or, failing that, all the way down the Fields and on a strip of Stoic.

My one complaint about GP is they don't seem to communicate with their customers and take into account advanced skiers. The glades are cool, but too often they've kept Olympian and Zeus closed when it seems they could be open, or they bash down the moguls that make the place interesting. The management may have good reasons for these decisions, but without some effort to explain them, customers get frustrated. GP is good at most other things, so I'm surprised that these issues aren't addressed. Maybe they just need some prodding. They're good people.

See you there Sunday! Maybe the wind chill will scare away the crowds.

I wasn't really bashing on their surfaces, just things were DAMN hard in the morning. I did notice things generally softening up by noon or so (a bit before I left), and I honestly think that day was going to be a rare day where things skied better in the afternoon/night than first thing in the morning.

I checked Greek's trail report and saw that they do appear to be opening up a bit more with the chair 2 glade now open for one thing. I need to recover from my VT trip, but will probably try to get out there later this week once they open the chair 5 area again (it just makes it such a more diverse place overall). I also saw Iliad was closed for snow making, perhaps they are trying to build up the left side of the trail so they can let the right mogul as usual?

I think Greek's problem is that they do not really cater to the advanced skier because they probably don't make that much money off the advanced skier. I honestly wonder at this point of Zeus and Olympian will open this year unless we get some great natural snow the rest of February...

-Craig

Yep, it'll take a big dump or several small ones to get Olympian and Zeus open -- though there are snowmaking guns on Zeus, they're being used to get Hercules open. Not that these trails haven't been skied, mind you. Zeus's situation is too bad. It's fun and holds the snow well, but I haven't seen it open in two years. Overall, I think Greek is trying to get down a really good base on its main trails for middle-level skiers, who are its bread-and-butter, but they'll try to make snow on advanced trails after that. Of course, Olympian is all natural, so we'll see.

Ever ski the power line?

I generally have trended away from ducking ropes at Greek for fear of getting my season pass yanked. From what I've seen, they aren't exactly the easiest going place when it comes to skiing closed terrain, however, I do get a feeling this season that a bit of this has relaxed (I did not have a season pass last year, only the year before).

I know plenty of the stuff was skied before being opened, people were already up to that last week a bunch. I contemplated hitting Alsos glade while I was there last Thursday, but the cover just really made it look not worth it. I care about my bases too much for that!

Conditions reports claim Hercules by this weekend. They already had a ton of snow blown on it last Thursday, so I'm surprised it isn't ready yet. It seems like they may be building up a big base on there to try to keep it going late into the season. I don't think it is lit however for night skiing. The pitch looks similar to Zeus with a bit more width overall, and I think it should be a fun trail to ski.

Olympian did make it open last year I think, but only for several days. I have never skied the power lines, are those over by chair 4/5 somewhere (I think I know what you are talking about)? I still think the lift 2 lift-line would make a really great expert trail, but it does need a lot of snow on it. If we get some good cover in March, I may just go ahead and try to poach it one morning and if I get my pass killed, oh well!

-Craig

That would be a fine trail, beneath chair 2. (Funny: The lift towers, with their rickety-ness, look a little like the single chair at MRG.) It gets poached once in a while. In fact, there were some snowboard tracks on it Sunday. I suspect GP management and the ski patrol would be ok with good grown-up responsible skiers on it, but they know teen-age boys would be all over it, including those who have no business there, and it would be a disaster. If they could somehow put a culvert over the gully, it might be safe enough even for them.

I shy away from trails specifically marked as closed. I know a lot of people do it, but it just strikes me as obnoxious, as if you think you're above the rules. I'm thinking, however, of a spot that, to my knowledge, isn't on GP property, but on state land.

Back