halloween skiing again-sunday rivah!

Why ski the WROD at the river when you can get face shots in VT? Some things just don't make any sense.

salida":150pudzs said:
Why ski the WROD at the river when you can get face shots in VT? Some things just don't make any sense.

simple:

a) if i knew i'd get untracked without having to look too hard for it, then i'd maybe drive there to ski fresh snow, but i'm not using a vaca day to do it 2 days after it snowed when it would be more worthwhile to use em later.

b) i like to ski on at least a halfway decent base. not into hitting rocks or skiing through grass, as shown in the pics, to say i skied in october plus as yer buddy prooved at stowe, it can be dangerous when yer tryin to ski like a rock star and clip a rock with yer flesh with no base. glad he's ok btw.

c) hey, it's way early season and if i can go ride a lift for free and work on my early season turns with friends, why not? there'll be plenty of good skinnin and skiing to be done soon enough. hey, and if the surfing and mtb are better than the skiing right now, i'd much rather ride from the house or drive the 15 minutes to the beach then to drive 3 hrs to no vt.

isn't it snowin out there yet. saw a recent pic of high rustler with some patches of snow up top, looks epic. :mrgreen:
have fun and relax-it's coming.

rog

See... that's exactly how i see this...

I wanted to skip work... but decided to keep days for "real" good powder... with less danger of injury or gash on the new board!

SO this weekend, i'll go for a big bike ride on Saturday... and sunday, i'll use the rock board to check out what i missed this week at the mountain...

perfect weekend if it all links up!

Snow's coming for real... there will be better days in a month for sure!

icelanticskier":3n4n2jf2 said:

Don't go worrying yourself rog.

I was just wondering where the ole fashioned "If it's snowin, I'm goin" credo disappeared too.

I'm sure we'll get ours here soon enough.

I'm off to go ski patches at solitude - have a splendid one!

salida":116gu61g said:
I was just wondering where the ole fashioned "If it's snowin, I'm goin" credo disappeared too.

once the skiing gets good, good to me that is, that credo will kick in. i'm pretty particular about my conditions and locations under such conditions and those conditions always involve a good base.

have fun at solitude, that's one place that enters my mind from time to time and yes you will get yers for sure.

ta ta
rog

salida said:
I'm off to go ski patches at solitude[/quote

patches is right, snowmaking piles. boy, that wasatch crest trail looks to offer up some good mtb as of today. them mountains look brown, it looked that way till december when i lived at alta in 95'. we rode our bikes till x-mas then in 5 days it went from zero to hero and dumped 11 feet in those 5 days for a total of like 22ft that jan, wild. we're about to get yer weather here for a couple of weeks, can't wait for those 60 degree temps startin tuesday.
rog

icelanticskier":3moodztn said:
salida":3moodztn said:

simple:

a) if i knew i'd get untracked without having to look too hard for it, then i'd maybe drive there to ski fresh snow, but i'm not using a vaca day to do it 2 days after it snowed when it would be more worthwhile to use em later.

b) i like to ski on at least a halfway decent base. not into hitting rocks or skiing through grass, as shown in the pics, to say i skied in october plus as yer buddy prooved at stowe, it can be dangerous when yer tryin to ski like a rock star and clip a rock with yer flesh with no base. glad he's ok btw.

c) hey, it's way early season and if i can go ride a lift for free and work on my early season turns with friends, why not? there'll be plenty of good skinnin and skiing to be done soon enough. hey, and if the surfing and mtb are better than the skiing right now, i'd much rather ride from the house or drive the 15 minutes to the beach then to drive 3 hrs to no vt.

isn't it snowin out there yet. saw a recent pic of high rustler with some patches of snow up top, looks epic. :mrgreen:
have fun and relax-it's coming.

rog
Having skied Mansfield on Thursday, there was ample base and good untracked. Can't fault a guy for staying close to home for free skiing though. 8) Was worth my vacation day for sure and its not like I don't have 14 more to burn this winter.

I was there Friday to Sunday. Boyne came through. Alot of effort by the staff to pull this off. Sunday was the best Day. Friday was nice and kind of corned up. Sat was solid and a bit tough. Sunday was pretty nice. Re- surfaced up top. Can't complain when I have 3 lift serviced days by Nov 2nd. Friday was free if you had a costuem. I went up with mine. I have a oct 31 ticket for the wall.

nice bob, ya, i just wasn't into it enough to get up there. another month or so when there's more to slide on for me, maybe earlier if it snows and actually looks like winter. my 1st day at stowe last year on nov 18th was a powday and the town of stowe had a full winter blanket already. after gettin over 100 days last year, i'd be happy to get 50-60 this year and most of that in the b.c. if possible. i'm sure we'll cross paths sooner or later up there so i can get ya that beer.
rog

Kind of the that quality over quantity debte. If you go all the time you get the quality days along the way. \:D/ This weekend was a typical early season display and I was very happy with the entire thing. Ow I road up with a guy who had 155 days in last year. Bet he had a couple decent ones.

hear ya bob. in the 7 yrs i spent at the riv, i probably put in around a thousand days at over 120 a year and yes many good days, better than good days were had. i would even ski weekends on hardpack days because they were some of the deepest. by around 11 am the weekend hords would push whatever snow they could scrape with they're atomic arc w/essvars and push it into deep, deep piles down the sides of all of the trails and over "the berm" for killer "rockin out to bermingham" skiing. god was it deep and supportive at the same time. just put the blinders on and let joey set the pace ahead and to yer right, pivot skidden all of that granular in yer path, fillin in yer tracks from yer previous runs epicness while yer rockin the berm on the left and it's an all day soft deep ride. it's always good skiing if yer always skiing deep snow.
rog

If we get a re-opening on Friday I should be out at least a couple times every week until sometime in May. I'll probably hike on Sat and Sunday if they don't re- open. I think they will survive. Maybe just up top again.

Back