Harvey's Gore Thread

Admin":tlpm7vbu said:
jamesdeluxe":tlpm7vbu said:
Harvey44":tlpm7vbu said:
I am sensing the end of blogging season, I'm anticipating the upcoming withdrawal.
Isn't it a little early for this kind of talk, Mr. Negativity?
=;

Not with ski areas already starting to close for the season this week. :-(

Or with scenes from the past week before the current warmup that look like this:

IMG_1497.jpg

:troll: Come on, that photo was taken at Greek Peek! That place is neither far north nor high up. It's in the finger lakes region. Altitude, does count for something. Granted the last storm was warm and had a lot of rain, but still... I wouldn't be shocked if we get another large snow storm before the season is out. It's a little early yet to be talking about baseball.

I wasn't trying to be negative. I'm seeing less traffic on Harvey Road and sensing that the general skiing public is either moving on or assuming we aren't skiing so they are checking in less. Or maybe it's been the recent weather in the flatlands. I thought by putting up that report by a guest, it might surprise some people.

The kids who did it have been regular readers and have wanted to post something for a long time. For a variety of reasons THEY haven't been able to ski much this year, and now have this whole week to ski. I asked them to send me a picture and what I got was 100Mb and lots of text that needed help.

Again ... not complaining.... :-o

Admin":dsx73wa7 said:
First one I heard was yesterday, Buck Hill in Minnesota, breeding ground for many of this country's best ski racers: http://www.buckhill.com/

Making me and my four year old daughter very sad. :-(

We have had some extremely weird weather around here over the last two weeks: lots of warm rain, daytime highs in the 60's, many nights in a row without going below freezing, and even our first thunder storm of the season. Our official growing season doesn't start until May 15, but I've already got some green shoots coming up in my back yard (which was covered with about 15 inches of old, compact snow only 8 days ago). The whitewater season has already started. This is about 3 weeks too soon and does not bode well for a lengthy spring runoff. In other words, the early warm up has likely cut both my ski and boating seasons short. :evil:

Looks like even regional snow champion Mt. Bohemia is down for the count unless we get a big change in the weather: http://mtbohemia.com/

Ooops. Sorry about the :hijack:

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled program...

jamesdeluxe":vniiggxh said:
Only 176 inches this year for Bohemia... isn't that almost 100 below normal for them?

Yes. They claim a 273 average, and I believe them. The general average I have heard for the Keweenaw is in the neighborhood of 240. Bohemia, however, sits on a high ridge almost on the end the peninsula where it likely gets an additional 33 inches in an average season. IMO, an average of 276 is pretty impressive for a ski area no higher than 1600 feet.

Bohemia skied great when I was there in late January with a 30ish inch base with 8-12 inches of dry lake-effect powder on top. Watching the radar from my distant perspective here in Minneapolis, it seemed like the lake-effect sorta shut down for the second half of the winter. I would be interested to hear a report on this winter's weather from the perspective of a yooper.

I think that last pic is from Greek Peak. The real mountains in the East are nearly all still 90+% open from what I've looked up today for a mid-month progress report update. There's been very little new snow in March so far, so the skiing is probably ugly if it's cold and pretty decent if it's warm.

flyover":291cx442 said:
I would be interested to hear a report on this winter's weather from the perspective of a yooper.
I'll be seeing Frida Waara (lives in Marquette, MI) at NASJA Sun Valley next week, so I'll ask her.

Tony Crocker":ic5ji250 said:
The real mountains in the East are nearly all still 90+% open from what I've looked up today for a mid-month progress report update.
% open isn't necessarily correlated with yearly snow accumulation. :dead horse:

Like I made a comment about that, the locals are about 90+% open until recently with about 50-60% normal snowfall 40km away at the Ottawa Airport. We've had a warm winter with little freeze-thaw and rain. A good part of Ontario and Quebec have had a similar winter. Bohemia isn't that far off.

Base depths at the "real mountains" are also respectable thanks to the late February dump, so I don't think a collapse is imminent. Hey, I try to learn from what I read here. Last year there was a lot of moaning about how bad March was, so I predicted a short spring yet the April eastern closings were fairly average. I don't see why this year is going to be any worse. It isn't just N VT. Places like Whiteface and Sugarloaf are 95+% open. And the Quebec City areas, where Patrick likes to ski late season sometimes.

Tony Crocker":uufp8o7k said:
flyover":uufp8o7k said:
I would be interested to hear a report on this winter's weather from the perspective of a yooper.
I'll be seeing Frida Waara (lives in Marquette, MI) at NASJA Sun Valley next week, so I'll ask her.
She wasn't at the NASJA annual. Her son Ian Thorley is a snowboard competitor and he had an event in Europe she attended instead.

Posting this message from Lebanon NJ and did it ever rain the last 2 days !!!(local are telling me record levels of rain ) Down in NJ for work , heading back to Quebec tomorrow . When I drove down the 87 on Monday moring there was about 1 inch of new snow along the highway through the High Peak's region and then back to rain at the Gore exit . Lots of fog so could not see any of the ADK'S. Hopefully , by tomorrow it will stop raining and will be able to see the snow levels in the mountains on my way back.

Thanks for the information on the budget cuts as was not aware of this .

Caught of Glimpse of Gore today from the 87 near the Pottersville exit as the clouds were starting to break up after all the rain . Coverage still looks good which is amazing as the snow at lower elevations is history. If the forecast holds , should be a warm weekend with clear conditions . Now is the time of year when the artificial snow base comes in handy :)

It's crazy that it was so warm up north yesterday! It didn't get close to those temps in the city. Today the high is somewhere in the mid 60's. I would expect the mountains to be in the 40's, but for whatever reason it is quite a bit warmer up there.

Back