Hunter Back Country 3/17/05

sheahunter

3/17/2005

With the support my wife, I was given a day of skiing with the boys for my birthday. Off to plunder the goods somewhere near Hunter Mountain. We exited the ski area boundary around 9am. The goal was to hit what we call the Ravine on Hunter Mountain?s east flank. It hasn?t rained in over a month and the base was deep. No crust on north facing aspects. How deep?

CIMG0046.JPG

After hiking awhile we arrived at the trail head of a unused liftline

CIMG0027.JPG

Let?s ski to the pucker and hike back.

Nice wind packed turns.
CIMG0024.JPG

Better check in with the wives
CIMG0023.JPG

Notice the pucker which gets progressively worse and dangerous below this point.

On to the woods. Wow!

How deep again?
CIMG0034.JPG

CIMG0040.JPG

CIMG0033.JPG

let's do it again. Back up to 3,600' elevation.

CIMG0037.JPG

CIMG0022.JPG

CIMG0043.JPG

Back in bounds, plenty of pow still around.

CIMG0047.JPG

Home in time to give my boys a bath. (this one is big, sorry)

CIMG0003.JPG

Life is good.

Nice! Been debating over whether to bother to ski the half day tomorrow before my business trip to Las Vegas; pics just made the call for me. See you tomorrow AM?

sheahunter, I hope you don't mind, but I made some slight changes in the image URLs and cleaned up your BBCode to make the images appear inline. The page loads much more slowly because the images are huge :!: , but I still think the effect of seeing the images inline is better.

sheahunter":1idg5yz4 said:
Marc,

Thanks for fixing it up. What size should the pix's be?

480x360 is the max that will be displayed, and I use a 70% JPEG compression for web posting. If you limit it to 480x360, you can use the upload facility at the bottom of the posting form if you don't wish to store the images somewhere else.

Awesome pics -- I skiied Hunter ( inbounds ) for the first time 2 weeks ago right after some snow and I was impressed with the mountain ( I'm from Jersey ) I skiied the back mountain most of the day , I forget what it's called already , Those 2 double diamond runs were really fun , along witht some diamonds . I've always passed Hunter up for Vermont because I heard about the crowds , but I got a chance to go midweek and it was relatively empty . I'm glad I went and next year I'm gonna check out the back country area, whereever they may be . I'll have to do some hiking this spring and summer and scope it out . Thanks - can you give me just a little hint to where I might go ? Within a few miles would be fine :D

Back