Jay Peak, VT: 02/06/10

The patrol shack was one of the off season Improvements last summer. I'm not sure if the whole building was replaced or just a new, steeper pitched roof. The bottom part looks the same. The green chair didn't have a mid-station by the time I started going there in the late 80's. Before the Green Mountain Freezer went in, access to Ullr's, JFK, etc was only accessed from the tram or from the top of the Bonaventure (red) chair with an uphill hike. That used to be a good place to go when the tram was on wind hold and before the Freezer. In fact, it's probably still a good plan because the Freezer is probably on wind hold then also. Ride the Bonny and hike a little. For some people, that would've made the tram a "necessity"

As far as a lot of the expansions going on, I believe that most of that money is from offshore. They may be able to sell a wave pool or hockey rink easier than blue square expansion. I'll give them credit for trying hard. Hopefully, all this stuff pans out for them and they can put some more bucks into the mountain. I'm not sure how their snowmaking capacity is but there are a few places that are always chronically bare.

skibumm100":91ytceay said:
The patrol shack was one of the off season Improvements last summer. I'm not sure if the whole building was replaced or just a new, steeper pitched roof.
Not sure, but the building looks new and there wasn't a second floor before.

The green chair didn't have a mid-station by the time I started going there in the late 80's.
Mid was still around 1981-82, my last big season year at Jay (13 days).

Access to Ullr's, JFK, etc was only accessed from the tram or from the top of the Bonaventure (red) chair with an uphill hike.

That old chair (Bonnie?) stopped definitely higher than the Quad, accessed would have been easier.

As far as a lot of the expansions going on (...) They may be able to sell a wave pool or hockey rink easier than blue square expansion. I'll give them credit for trying hard. Hopefully, all this stuff pans out for them and they can put some more bucks into the mountain. I'm not sure how their snowmaking capacity is but there are a few places that are always chronically bare.

I think they are late in the game and the market is pretty satured for this type of base expansion now. Their location isn't ideal, I wouldn't put my money at it being a success.

Pat,

The red chair was replaced the year before I really started skiing there a lot. I skied at Smuggler's for the most part in 87. After that I skied primarily at Jay because it was free. How much farther up the hill did the old red chair go? Could you ski right off it to the cat track to JFK w/o going uphill much? If so, that explains those wierd criss crossing chutes just below the top of the Freezer. Where was the old midstation on the green chair? Was it just below Expo or lower down? Maybe near the cut-over to Racer? Very interesting stuff. I tried to find the construction pictures for the patrol shack but they took them off the website. I thought they just put a new roof on it but, frankly, I didn't look that closely.

I'm not Pat, but...

skibumm100":5855ijl7 said:
How much farther up the hill did the old red chair go?

It ran up the current Powerline ski run, across Northway and to St. George's Prayer at the bottom of the Face Chutes (near where the power line currently ends, assuming that they didn't remove that, too!).

skibumm100":5855ijl7 said:
Where was the old midstation on the green chair? Was it just below Expo or lower down? Maybe near the cut-over to Racer?

Right at the top of Racer and Flash, between Upper and Lower Exhibition.

Back