Jay Peak, VT Dusk Patrol: 10/30/06

riverc0il

Happy Day Early BDay to Me :D Could not have asked for a better present than to be on my fourth day of turn earning before October is even over. Unfortunately, it looks like I will not notch number five tomorrow, but I have already passed my total for last year and without a doubt can confirm this early season is way better than last year's early season. Yea, I have not had as much powder depth this year. But the lack of consistantly deep powder has been more than made up for by the consistantly good base, consistantly good conditions, and consistantly cool weather. I will take consistantly great over once in a while superior. Maybe that is just me, but while I will be notching days five and six this coming weekend, any one who isn't working towards double digits before any lifts open in the east can help themselves to fire up a debate on the issue :p

I planned on leaving work at 3pm. I couldn't dawn patrol as I needed to be at the store by 7:45 (and properly showerd and all that, no way I could nail a run at Jay and be back and showered without waking up at 3am, ick). So I settled for a dusk patrol. I actually got out sooner than expected at 2:30pm and proceeded to hit school traffic all over the place. ](*,) Despite being almost 15 minutes closer to Jay leaving work instead of home, it still took me an hour to get there.

I was expecting not much on the open trails due to wind and boy was I right. Wind buffed and bullet proof with pockets of powder on the side of the trail was the rule. Having just over two hours of day light and being solo, I was unfortunately resigned to leave the trees well enough alone despite knowing Valhalla and others had the goods based on Sunday. So the plan was skin up to Green Beret hoping that a ton of snow blew over the ridge and the wind didn't move it too far. Fat chance. Skinning up the wind buff on Green Beret sucked. I opted to stop skinning at the rock with the generally decent sized jump, but today was a huge huck with a terrible landing and take off. I wisely passed on that one but did score an eight foot drop off another rock further below landing in a nice cushion of pow. Sweet,this is better than many January's I have had!!!

With the sun way down behind Jay and day light fading quick, I needed to make haste for part two of my plan. I clicked out and hoofed up Northway a short ways to Power Line. Power Line in October? Why Not!!! Skier's right had the good protected by the trees. Dealing with the double fall line was interesting but it was honest to goodness 4-6" pow the entire trail with awesome coverage and tons of sweet rock drops. Killer. The run out back to the Jet lot was actually pretty sweet with good cover and delightful soft pow over a decent base. Seriously, I have had many January's that have totally sucked compared to this October! I got back to my car just as darkness was claiming the valley. Damn turning the clocks back! Unfortunately, due to the one hour drive and need to leave work early, I will not be able to get many more of these post work Jay days in as the sun begins to set even earlier every day :( Hopefully Burke will do much better this year will natural snow fall and colder temps so I can make so Dusk Patrols at Burke as the season progresses and then back to Jay after work in March!!!

Attachments

• 20061030jay11.jpg
    20061030jay11.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,656
  • 20061030jay09.jpg
    20061030jay09.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,677
  • 20061030jay08.jpg
    20061030jay08.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,670
  • 20061030jay06.jpg
    20061030jay06.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,671
  • 20061030jay04.jpg
    20061030jay04.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,667
  • 20061030jay03.jpg
    20061030jay03.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,660
  • 20061030jay01.jpg
    20061030jay01.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,672
Have they finally cleaned all of the crap out of Powerline? If not, be very, very careful during thin base depths of both ground wires and metal flashing from the old Bonnie double.

i am not sure about if they cleared it or not... but the base is so rediculously solid right now that the snow covered up anything that would be of concern. it is really hard to describe how absolutely bomber the base is, not super deep (1-2'), but just rock solid (granted the volume of traffic is a lot less!). i started off pretty cautious, ready for some survival turns if need be, but it was completely solid. i'll be sure to investigate the removal issue further and take additional caution knowing there could be crap under there.

Good idea not skiing tomorrow, you have to work on that video instead. :wink:

Hopefully I will be up Sunday again. Come on uplift snow...

The race is on. Four days. Gosh, really, awesome though, dusk patrol is the way to go!

PS I daylight savings time is killing my evenings

Back