Keystone next week, anyone?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like FTO is fielding a team for the 36 Hours of Keystone Nov. 29-30. Will anyone else from Liftlines be around?

Admin":c8lg1hxi said:
Looks like FTO is fielding a team for the 36 Hours of Keystone Nov. 29-30. Will anyone else from Liftlines be around?

Let's see, I still need some November turns. :-k :lol:

Good luck for anyone involved.

Tough event timing for me :(

No real way for me on Friday during the day (darn that j-o-b). Plus given my skiing 'persuasion', that is also the men's World Cup races down the road at BC.

If the stars aligned, I might find a way to sneak in a couple hours fri night, but tough logistics at best.

Pity, but should the stars align call me at the 801 number in the contact portion of the website FAQ or email me.

tirolerpeter":2n85wis4 said:
Read the stuff in the links. Sounds like a lot of fun. Who does the recruiting for the FTO "team?"

Some jackass in SLC. :roll: It'll be yours truly to hold the team down, The Kid for the overnight shift :lol: , and two FTO staff writers: Matt<sup>2</sup> - one from Utah and one from Summit County, CO. We'll see how many laps we can rack up -- we'll be skiing as fast as we can for as long as our unseasoned legs will allow.

Some people will use any reason at all to play in the snow. But then, I understand that serious journalism often requires sacrifices (like missing your "day job") no doubt. :wink:

Um, er, but why? I understand the Jonesing for snow...really...but this Keystone thing is just....just.... :roll: and you have to pay to do it??? :lol: Yeah, you get a one bedroom place, but...... Plus buy a lift ticket as well???? :shock: :shock:

Have you considered getting professional help?
Seriously. :)

I would have some interest in trying one of these events sometime. For admin's media team I believe the lifts and lodging are free. But he already has the full complement of 4 people, and for me personally this is a not a good year to try something like this. Patrick, on the other hand, has already demonstrated a willingness to take on a such a challenge.

The reading of the fine print indicates that in fact this is not a "vertical foot contest," like the Jimmie Huega fund raisers or the event I heard about after the fact at Mammoth in April 1995. At Keystone the team collectively has to do at least one run per hour. Every team that meets that minimum standard is entered into a drawing for the prizes. Employees of affiliated companies and media freeloaders :wink: are not eligible for the prizes.

TeamSummit":36vwio8g said:
I can potentially do something on Dec 1st, after noon as I have team orientation in Frisco that morning. Let me know. :D

Pity, but we'll be wheeling our way back toward Zion by mid-day next Sunday.

And Marc_C, you're making some pretty heady presumptions, but I'll explain in person where they're off.

TeamSummit":2adrew9z said:
Um, Admin, December 1st is Saturday. Check your calendar, 36 hours of Keystone is November 30th-December 1st.

I really, really need to get some sleep someday. :roll:

Great!! I'll email my cell phone. We'd love to hook up for a few runs.

Just thought I'd bump this up for anyone else who might be in the area to join in for a few runs. I probably won't make it to the mountain until 2ish since team orientation is in Frisco until noon but I'll give you a call Admin. I haven't night skied in years so this may be a first if I stay that late. Oh, and snow expected Friday and Saturday! :D

New snow - hoo ha! I'm still trying to determine which skis to bring, for 3 of us will be using a 4-pair rack on the truck and I don't want to be greedy. Saturday/Sunday I "rediscovered" my Salomon Scream Pilot Hots on groomers, for in a normal season I generally eschew groomers, yet if there's any decent snow I prefer my Movement Goliaths. The G3 Reverends are out of the question as they're too light for this 36-hour silliness. The Volkl Explosiv CMHs are definitely the wrong tool, too.

Thoughts? I've got to do some tuning tonight no matter what.

Admin":1ogverlp said:
The G3 Reverends are out of the question as they're too light for this 36-hour silliness.

Do you have these mounted for AT? Dowhill?? I always wanted to tele on them. Quick impressions?

Mine are mounted with Silvretta Pures for an ultralight kit. Skinning, or skiing consistent snow they're da bomb. In cut up crud, though I find that they're so light they get tossed about fairly easily.

Admin you know you really wanna bust out your favorite snowblades....just bring em...im sure there wont really be anyone there to throw rocks.... :lol:

M

Back