Killington 12/22/08 - Enter the White Room

Pfunkride

....Was at the mountain very early for first few carts. Ended up being on the
first few, as K1 was not open right at 9am due to winds, but after everyone jumped to
superstar, they opened at like 9:10.
First run, down Upper Cascade for thigh deep turns the whole way. Then over to
the canyons for a first run down DoubleDipper. I couldn't believe how deep it was in
there! Waist deep to pockets of facials. I couldn't even count the times I was
in the white room on my board. Finally found the line that i've been loving
there lately, There's a nice steep cliff shot to a wide open run out that has
been my favorite 1st run for the last few seasons. White room everytime!
Back in line for another burner like that.
THis time we let it open on Great eastern to highline, which hadn't been touched by
but 2-3 people! This run was awsome to get some great pow slashes in. This day
was a total K1 day to beat the brutally cold wind.
We then did a run through some woods off bear and hit some very nice drops into more
white room. Lower BearClaw was feelin' it. Nice little stashes to hit, and just had some
nice lines to get into that carvin' zone. We did 2 runs over there and called it
quites because that wind was too brutal for the goods, when k1 was running and
things were very good over there still. So back to run #1. Again, this still proved
to be the best run of the day. The wind kept loading that area and we found fresh line
after fresh line off DoubleDipper. More and more white rooms to be found. We didn't
leave the canyons all day as it was just line after line of some of the deepest
snow i've ever seen in the 5+years I've been in Vermont. It was so deep that we
needed to be on the steeps otherwise we would get caught up in some of the lower
angle glades and it was rather slow going, and quite tiring. That run also made
for a great photo of a head to toe white guy(me), that took a head over heels after the
deep snow swallowed my nose and sent me head over heels into that nice deep snow.

The only other place I've had these types of days was at JayPeak and Whistler. So this ranks in my top
5 best days!

I was very impressed with new lift. I think this was one of the smartest/best
things the new people have done to the mountain. Very nice!

Good to hear from you, Pfunk!!

Sadly, I missed out on the weekend festivities as result as both storms coming at the wrong time for the flatlander pilgrimage. But I'm planning on hitting Pico tomorrow morning to find what I can before it changes over to rain (at this point, I'll settle for a little sleet in the morning after perhaps an inch or 2 of snow). I expect to be able to find some (wind-loaded) powder in the trees normally accessed by the Outpost chair, which is not running, as best as I can tell (though today's trail report lists Wrangler & Bronco as being open). The 2 minute hike to access the Outpost terrain should be well worth it.

So it won't be the blower stuff that was available on Saturday, nor the thigh deep stuff available Monday, but I'll take what I can get.

That run also made
for a great photo of a head to toe white guy(me), that took a head over heels after the
deep snow swallowed my nose and sent me head over heels into that nice deep snow.

:worthless:

She's right. Unless you write like Hemingway, either post pix or link to some -- especially if you're making claims about Killington.
:snowball fight:

And I thought "Enter the White Room" was code for "This thread is LOADED with pics!"

I didn't realize everyone was more interested in pictures than trail reports....
Also, I'll have to track down the camera from that day, as i didn't have one with me.
I'll make sure to post some pics of our next backcountry trip.

I can't speak for everyone, but I was kidding to a certain degree. I actually think the written word...gives as much or more info than the pics sometimes. Keep it comin. :D

Back