Killington, 12/9-10

Sean Mackey

The wife and I made it to Killington this weekend. This time it was her <BR> first day of the season and also her first day on new (to her) Volants. <BR> Saturday morning, we roamed between Snowdon to Needles Eye. Some good snow <BR> to be found just about everywhere. Snowdon had great snow to warm up on <BR> (and get used to new skis). It was fun to watch as her ski legs returned <BR> and she adapted to the new skis. At first things were slow and cautious, <BR> but then skiing became more comfortable and we moved onto more challenging <BR> slopes. Bittersweet was good early, decent snow and small bumps, but not <BR> fun once they turned the snow guns on in the afternoon. A down side was <BR> "Blue Heaven." This was anything but Heaven with ice between bumps. She <BR> tired about 2 and I explored The Light, Superstar, Escape, Cascade, & East <BR> Fall. Escapade had decent snow, while the rest had their best snow on the <BR> sides of the trails. <BR> <BR> Sunday, we spent mostly at Snowdon and Rams Head. Some of this was learning <BR> the Poma lift. She had only used on once last season and she wanted <BR> practice since we're heading to Cortina in January. A friend who was their <BR> last year suggested that she get used to surface lifts (any advise as to how <BR> true this is?). She decided not to go out after lunch so I was exploring <BR> again. I found that Skyburst to Lower Bear Claw was full of new man-made <BR> snow, huge snow whales, and lots of bumps. I ended up skiing myself silly <BR> on the bumps. <BR> <BR> Overall, a great fun, exhausting weekend of skiing. <BR> <BR> sean mackey

Back