LCC Road to close Saturday morning

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
In case you haven't heard, the Salt Lake County Sheriff just announced that Little Cottonwood Canyon will close Dec. 20 6:00AM-8:00AM for avalanche control.

I'm guessing local TV morning news will have mention of LCC closings, or is there a regular web source I can bookmark?

When the road is closed like this, what strategy do you suggest for out-of-towners staying in the city? Wait at the hotel until 8, drive around in circles, or is there a spot near the LCC entrance to park or grab breakast and wait?

If it was later in the season, I'd avoid the wait altogether and jump over to snowbasin or powder mtn, but unless it really dumps in the next 2 weeks, I'm guessing those places will still be a bit thin. Hopefully not.

OHski":34xvb20k said:
I'm guessing local TV morning news will have mention of LCC closings, or is there a regular web source I can bookmark?

http://www.slsheriff.org/canyon/index.html
http://utahavalanchecenter.org/
http://www.commuterlink.utah.gov/
By phone: 511

When the road is closed like this, what strategy do you suggest for out-of-towners staying in the city?

If you're staying downtown, get out near the Ft. Union area and grab a bite to eat.

If it was later in the season, I'd avoid the wait altogether and jump over to snowbasin or powder mtn, but unless it really dumps in the next 2 weeks, I'm guessing those places will still be a bit thin. Hopefully not.

With the forecast I doubt it. It should really dump throughout the next 2 weeks.

OHski":1vj8psco said:
Actually, the Snowbird site, specifically the snow report page, has very accurate LCC road info. They update it as frequently as necessary. http://www.snowbird.com/ski_board/snowreport.php

From the bird site:
Tomorrow, Saturday, December 20, UDOT will close access into Little Cottonwood Canyon Road @ 6:00 a.m. Interlodge restriction will go into affect 6:45am. It is anticipated that this closure will be lifted by 8 a.m. Saturday morning.

When the road is closed like this, what strategy do you suggest for out-of-towners staying in the city? Wait at the hotel until 8, drive around in circles,...
Or just head toward the canyon and get in line.
...or is there a spot near the LCC entrance to park or grab breakast and wait?
Not really - certainly not near. Of course there are the various fast food options, esp. coming from downtown. There's also the Einsteins Bagles in the Olympus Cove shopping center on Wasatch around 3900 S.

Another option of course is to get up canyon before 6:00am (which may or may not be possible - it depends exactly when UDOT and the sheriffs close it) and hunker down in whatever lodge you're starting from when the town goes to interlodge.

What do I usually do? If it's likely that the canyon road will open (like tomorrow), I'll just leave my normal time and not sweat trying to get first tracks. With the way the winds were raging up there today, the new snow is and isn't in surprising areas.

If it's questionable if the canyon will open at all or open very late in the morning, I usually go to Solitude.

Remember that tomorrow, we're looking at a low of around -8F and a high of about 2F. That's going to keep a lot of locals away, especially if it's still snowing.

EDIT TO ADD:
Oh, wait, you're not even here yet? Feh. Look at the weather report and start reading the Utah Avalanche Center daily advisory - in two weeks there should be nothing to worry about, even in Park City.

Marc_C":1zmk71md said:
Not really - certainly not near. Of course there are the various fast food options, esp. coming from downtown. There's also the Einsteins Bagles in the Olympus Cove shopping center on Wasatch around 3900 S.

Where you're likely to bump into me in line on any given ski day. :wink:

Thank you gentlemen.

The boys and I are staying at the Homewood in Midvale, so we'll just follow our usual routine. We've never experienced a road closing for avi work, so I didn't know what to expect.

Maybe we'll meet up one day. We tried last year at Powder Mtn, but got bit by no cell coverage. Thanks again.

Back