Mad River closing already?

The other shoe has dropped. Mad River isn't opening this weekend either, and is unlikely to open again at all. The earliest closing I can remember.

Kudos to them for working out a significant discount at Jay for the rest of the year though ($29 lift tickets there with a mad card or MRG season pass, down from the usual discount of $38 ticket with season pass only). I wonder if they're paying Jay based on usage of this, or if they agreed to make some reciprocal concessions next year, or what.

woooo!!! mad cards good for jay at a discount, word. though i had two for one tickets at jay any ways :? which works out to about the same for a lift ticket, but this makes me feel much better as a consumer having plopped down the money up front. more importantly for mrg, it makes people who bought up front more likely to return to mrg next fall and buy up front again. props to them for arranging a good deal. i am sure it was a no brainer for jay, they are effectively saying to mrg's pass holders "you think you get great snow at mrg? well take a look at this!"

any one else at jay this weekend? sat and sun for sure, perhaps midweek next week as well. great time for a vacation!

Just back from an interesting Ontario Spring Break Week. I had two days planned midweek (hoping for the Saturday afterward). :?

Suffice to say that I perfectly understand the closing. I was in Montreal for two days visiting stuff (indoors) with my kids instead of skiing. It was warm and pouring rain. Eventually made up North (Laurentians for the Tuesday-Wednesday) with both kids, then headed south in Vermont for the following three days.

Oh Boys. Smuggs had 30 trails open regardless of the incredible powder day. Next day Friday, I was at mt. Ellen (Sugarbush North). Incredibly ICY. Sheets for Blue Ice folks... had fun anyway. Last day at Bolton. Let's just say that from what I seen for the natural trails in Vermont, there is no way that MRG should have tried openning up.

The season is not necessarily over at MRG, however they need some serious snow before they can reopen. :?

More on my trip in the next for days, I need to get my stuff unpacked.

Back