Mad River Glen Skiing Mag article

riverc0il":3r5enkb6 said:
chucky":3r5enkb6 said:
riverc0il":3r5enkb6 said:
C'mon. If you are going to engage in a discussion or argument, there has to be common points and agreed upon usage of words. The definition of discrimination is an action or lack thereof due to a quality of a PERSON.

Look into the history of these bans and you'll see these resorts ARE discriminating against PEOPLE. However because they couldn't get away with doing this openly, they focused on the equipment the "type of person" they objected to typically used. To believe otherwise is simply naive.

Thankfully as familiarity increases, ignorance decreases - to the point where there are now only three bastions of ignorant bigotry left in North American resorts.
Care to speak towards the examples I posted and defend them as well? Because I think I drew some pretty interesting parallels and comparisons with other industries that "discriminate". After all, only ultra rich people golf so it is clearly discrimination not to allow ripped jeans on a golf course. :roll:

So you really want me to bring up the fact that you appear to genuinely believe that the policy of nightclubs to selectively filter their clientele on the basis of their clothing actually has to do with the clothing, and isn't simply a means by which they can get away with choosing the "type of people" they want in their clubs? You REALLY believe that??? =D> =D> =D>

Admin":190i68l5 said:
By chucky's logic Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park is also run by "bigots" who practice "discrimination". I don't, however, hear chucky or the Burton marketing machine railing against them.

I'd be very happy to see Raging Buffalo allow skiers. :roll:

chucky":vnm5gmkp said:
So you really want me to bring up the fact that you appear to genuinely believe that the policy of nightclubs to selectively filter their clientele on the basis of their clothing actually has to do with the clothing, and isn't simply a means by which they can get away with choosing the "type of people" they want in their clubs? You REALLY believe that??? =D> =D> =D>
Yea. Which is why a large majority of urban club goers at ubran club nights are non-white. :roll: And they wear the "appropriate" clothing to get in the door. I really believe that. And a man of color actually being able to afford nice clothes and go golfing or clubbing at a place that has a dress code? Wow, I can't believe that actually happens because "the man" is doing his best to keep the people down. And rules are actually meant to suppress the real silent majority that suffers through the mans rules.

Hey, look chucky, I am about as left leaning and liberal as they come and often times rules ARE meant to accomplish something unrelated to the actual rule, and at one point... discrimination was one of those things (Jim Crow Laws as an obvious example). But there is no problem with lack of access or entry point for any particular person in any of my examples nor with skiing at Mad River Glen. If an individual person doesn't show up with the right gear, the hill provides a free rental. A free rental!!! How discriminating is that? That would be like a golf clug or night club offering that wrong "type of person" that the rules are meant to keep out with the right clothing to allow them access to the facility. Can you imagine that!?

There are so many good arguments for allowing snowboarders at places like Mad River Glen. Yours is not one of them.

chucky":dgbrl3dl said:
Admin":dgbrl3dl said:
By chucky's logic Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park is also run by "bigots" who practice "discrimination". I don't, however, hear chucky or the Burton marketing machine railing against them.

Aah, but that wasn't my question. Let's try your little hypocrisy test again: are they bigots who discriminate against skiers?

chucky":31d2ju0a said:
Patrick":31d2ju0a said:
Do you really think that MRG and Deer Valley ban on snowboarding for the same reason?

Absolutely - initially anyway. Betsy Pratt initially banned all snowboardING in "her" resort simply because she objected to the "attitude" of a small group of snowboardERS. :roll:

Not sure how old you are, however there was a time when snowboarding wasn't allowed at most ski areas. MRG was one of the first ski area to allow on this slopes.

After a few technical issues with the single when snowboarded got off the lift, snowboarded were limited to the double. It's might have been a small group of snowboarders, but from my understanding there were a few verbal confrontations at the ski hill and in town. At that point, Betsy Pratt decided to ban them.

So here is the history:

1) Snowboarding is allowed at MRG - one of the first places.
2) Technical issues with single and snowboarders.
3) Snowboarders poed about it not being able to ride the single, verbally confront owner.
4) Owner tells them off, off the mountain.
5) Coop comes in to preverse and promote the MRG ski experience which would included the lack of snowmaking and manufactured runs, which includes the single and no snowboards.

Where is another note from the past.

Skiers were forbitten to go in Snowparks and pipes. Discrimination?

Admin":15wl90lh said:
chucky":15wl90lh said:
Admin":15wl90lh said:

Aah, but that wasn't my question. Let's try your little hypocrisy test again: are they bigots who discriminate against skiers?

Yes they are. I think their policy is ridiculous. Your point? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Patrick":wv66v19l said:
chucky":wv66v19l said:
Patrick":wv66v19l said:
Do you really think that MRG and Deer Valley ban on snowboarding for the same reason?

Absolutely - initially anyway. Betsy Pratt initially banned all snowboardING in "her" resort simply because she objected to the "attitude" of a small group of snowboardERS. :roll:

Not sure how old you are, however there was a time when snowboarding wasn't allowed at most ski areas. MRG was one of the first ski area to allow on this slopes.

After a few technical issues with the single when snowboarded got off the lift, snowboarded were limited to the double. It's might have been a small group of snowboarders, but from my understanding there were a few verbal confrontations at the ski hill and in town. At that point, Betsy Pratt decided to ban them.

So here is the history:

1) Snowboarding is allowed at MRG - one of the first places.
2) Technical issues with single and snowboarders.
3) Snowboarders poed about it not being able to ride the single, verbally confront owner.
4) Owner tells them off, off the mountain.
5) Coop comes in to preverse and promote the MRG ski experience which would included the lack of snowmaking and manufactured runs, which includes the single and no snowboards.

I've been riding (AND skiing) since 1994 - so most areas had already overcome their ignorance by the time I started.

I'm well aware of the history of MRG discrimination. Betsy Pratt imposed the ban OUT OF SPITE!

It's an irrefutable FACT that Betsy Pratt intended to ban snowboardERS by banning snowboardING. Unless you'd like to contest that a group of snowboards gave Betsy Pratt a bit of lip, and not the people riding those boards? There are other places where snowboarders are allowed on single chairs - and they have no problem with it. :roll:

remember the chucky movies and the bride of chucky? i'm enjoying this thread. why? i don't know. well, it is summer........ :twisted:hot as haites (sp?)
rog

chucky":f8ywrvqy said:
There are other places where snowboarders are allowed on single chairs - and they have no problem with it. :roll:
Snowboard on single chairs?

Actually, MRG might have been the only place in North America where snowboards were allowed at one point?

Can you give some example? And I'm not talking some single chair somewhere in a remote area or country in South America or Asia where safety standards aren't necessarily as strict or regulated.

All not single chairs were built the same (having 3 in my life - 3 totally different chairs).

Time to do an IP address check to see who's behind this alias... it was going along well until he threw in the "other places where you can snowboard from a single chair" line. An entertaining troll though.
=D>

The only place I've seen single chairs other than MRG is in Austria, and they weren't operating.

I bet it's jfslenes... he probably forgot to take his Pro Vitamin Complete Liquid Nutrition and hallucinated that Taos was still skiers-only.

jamesdeluxe":1av3plzy said:
Time to do an IP address check to see who's behind this alias.

Sydney, Australia - I wonder how many trips he's made to MRG? :lol:

jamesdeluxe":236tu4fd said:
Time to do an IP address check to see who's behind this alias... it was going along well until he threw in the "other places where you can snowboard from a single chair" line. An entertaining troll though.
=D>

The only place I've seen single chairs other than MRG is in Austria, and they weren't operating.

Yes of course jamesdeluxe - anyone who espouses an opinion contrary to the general consensus is a "troll". Pathetic :roll:

Perhaps you wouldn't be so narrow-minded if you managed to see more of the world?

Patrick":1ftbmerm said:
chucky":1ftbmerm said:
There are other places where snowboarders are allowed on single chairs - and they have no problem with it. :roll:
Snowboard on single chairs?

Actually, MRG might have been the only place in North America where snowboards were allowed at one point?

Can you give some example? And I'm not talking some single chair somewhere in a remote area or country in South America or Asia where safety standards aren't necessarily as strict or regulated.

All not single chairs were built the same (having 3 in my life - 3 totally different chairs).

Only a couple of weeks ago I was laughing with a skier friend about how "exciting" one particular single chair is in a nice little resort in Furano Japan.

How exactly do "strict or regulated" "safety standards" equate to snowboard useability? :roll:

Admin":3e5wxjo7 said:
jamesdeluxe":3e5wxjo7 said:
Time to do an IP address check to see who's behind this alias.

Sydney, Australia - I wonder how many trips he's made to MRG? :lol:

Of course I haven't been to MRG. When I'm at Snowbird I don't venture across to Alta either, and I avoid Deer Valley when in Park City. Your point? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Patrick":fi67v2ue said:

chuky":fi67v2ue said:
Only a couple of weeks ago I was laughing with a skier friend about how "exciting" one particular single chair is in a nice little resort in Furano Japan.

How exactly do "strict or regulated" "safety standards" equate to snowboard useability? :roll:

1) I've addressed this in the quote above - talking North American standards (not better or worst, different). I haven't personally skied in Asia or Australia. But I do know that some lifts I've seen in Europe or South America won't run in North America, do to different norms regarding safety issues.

2) I've also addressed this point: All chair aren't created equal. I've had the opportunity to ride 3 different single chairs and I've seen a few others. Of the 3 chairs I have ridden, not one was the chair type of construction. Some single chair might be able to stand snowboarders using the chair to push off at the top, some didn't require it. It is a well known fact that snowboarders were at one point restricted from using the single at MRG as it would sometime derails the cable when they would push off. Unlike to both old Tremblant singles, the arrival on the one at MRG is totally flat and you need to push out of the way.

Some chair allow and have a mechanical capacity to download, the old Mad single didn't. All chair might look the same, but to not run and work the same. [-X

chucky":fi67v2ue said:
anyone who espouses an opinion contrary to the general consensus is a "troll". Pathetic :roll:

I think james might spends too much time reading the TGR forums. :lol:

riverc0il said:
chucky said:
There are so many good arguments for allowing snowboarders at places like Mad River Glen. Yours is not one of them.

name one!!!!!
if it's about the money, raise the already cheap ticket prices

why in god's name would mad river allow snow boarders...let's cut the bull and and any common ground seeking hand holding here get down to brass tax...
1) an unacceptable percentage of snowboarders are rude assaches in the way they act and conduct themselves both moving down the hill and moving around the bottom of the hill....are they all?.. no...but a high enough percentage to clearly justify the private corporation from not letting them ride the hill. are there assache skiers? there sure are, but as a percentage, snowboarders are much higher.
2) a very large portion of mad rivers attraction is ungroomed unmanaged terrain... that's a long way of saying bumps....i dont give a rats ass what this guy chuck pontificates about from a persecuted rider standpoint, snowboards are not designed to manuever through moguls properly...this guy is so full of it i can smell him from here...spinning the argument into some discrimination farce....it's got nothing to do with that...it has everything to do with what the medium you like to slide on snow on is and how it would have a major negative effect on the terrain and would permanently alter it....who the hell do you think you are you self righteous ass?....why do you think you have the right to ride a mountain and dramatically alter the terrain there ....what is your answer to that? if your argument is you are good enough to ski bumps properly on a board and would not alter the terrain , please let me know where you ride so i can come witness this or better, just post a 15 second clip of you riding a bump line properly...i have never ever in my 9 years of skiing bumps, observed a snowboarder ride a mogul line properly ...not one...show it here on this site or youtube it and i promise you i will buy you a seaon pass to anywhere you want to ride in the united states...when the phone doesn't ring, i'll know it's you calling
3) whether or not pratt got into a pissing contest with some boarders and made a decision to ban them is dubious...it was her hill and she can do what ever the hell she wants to do within the boundries of the law...banning black people from skiing mad river, that would not be within the boundries of the law...
banning snowboarders? even a flaming liberal #-o like river can't judicially activate / invent that into the constitution

dude, please, it makes for good banter in aug on the chat boards...but really, can't you see it's not going to happen... the people who run the place will not let it happen and they have every friggin right not to let it happen... :roll: .. snowboarders have brought in ton's of money to resorts...that's why they get catered to at resorts....that's fine... while i'm sure mad river could use the money, it's money they don't want, thank god...

jake burton's act is really starting to get boring by the way

and 2 more thing chuckles, yes, there is a proper way to ski bumps and anyone who expresses a contrary view to the consensus , that makes no valid points at all, is dubious

Back