Memory of a quote that made me ski....

Ryan

This thought just wandered back into my mind so I though that I would share it.
I was reading Power magazine in the early 90's. Me, a 15 year old punk kid in the boonies of Northwest Pennsylvania pouring over page after page of the finest pictures I had ever seen. I came across a full page quote from Glenn Plake set over a big glossy of him doing what he does best. This was my first exposure to Glenn and i'm quite positive that it will stick with me for the rest of my life. This became the mantra of my youth and the thought in the back of my mind every time I see my skis...

"The only thing that stands between you and the perfect run is fear, fear of failure. What you should really be afraid of is what you'll miss if you dont try. No matter how many times you crash, get up, point your tips downtown and let them run. Life is vertical and there is no feeling on the face of this earth like living on the fall line." ~Glenn Plake

That is definately a great quote.

Here are some of my favorites:

"Skiing is not just a sport, it's a way of living" - Sig Buchmayr (i believe)

"Summer Stinks, Think Snow" - a old SWIX sticker in the 80s.

Patrick":mhkfj7px said:
"Skiing is not just a sport, it's a way of living" - Sig Buchmayr (i believe)

It is the people that that read this and know it to be true that (in my opinion) are the heart and soul of this sport. I know things have really become commercialized in the last couple of decades but it is great to know that there are others out there that have this passion.

"The question is not whether you can ski it and live, the question is whether you can live without skiing it."

That's an old K2 ad that inspired me greatly.

Back