Montana/Bitterroot snowfall update 11/3/05

J.Spin

Yesterday evening we had our first valley snowfall in the Bitterroot, so it prompted me to pass along a quick update of how the season is shaping up in this part of Montana. As I was out in the car yesterday evening, I first noticed that the rain had small crystals imbedded in it, and a couple of hours later, it had officially changed to snow. The air temperature was somewhere in the mid 30s F, so in the morning we just had the slightest skiff of snow at our house in Hamilton (elevation ~3,590?). However, just a few miles to the south (only subtly higher in elevation), I could already see that the snow coating had become thicker and more consistent. As the Missoula NWS had suggested, it looked like Hamilton (approximately the middle of the valley in both elevation and north south distance) was the dividing line for accumulating snow. Jon came south from Missoula (elevation ~3,200?) this morning and said there was no accumulation there, but he could see it a couple hundred feet up into the hills.

The Lost Trail SNOTEL station on Saddle Mountain (elevation 7,900?) is now reporting about a foot of snow depth, with essentially all of it coming over the past few days. The ski area isn?t open yet or giving any snow accumulation at base area/pass level (elevation 7,000?) but the highway report says blowing and drifting snow. I?d say there are probably six or so inches on the ground there. As far as the Montana downhill skiing website indicates, none of the Montana ski areas are open for lift-served skiing yet, and a quick look at the Big Sky and Big Mountain web sites didn?t reveal the opening dates (usually by Thanksgiving I?d guess anyway).

The weather looks moist for about the next week, with the biggest slug possibly coming in over the weekend. I don?t think we?ll get into several feet of snowfall like northern New England received last week, but I?ll keep my eyes on the Saddle Mountain SNOTEL and head up for some turns if it looks like the snow depth is worth it. I?ll send another report along when I hit the snow.

J.Spin

I know, my colleague Jon and I were gawking at the Lost Trail snow report this morning. The SNOTEL seems to have topped out at a reading of 26.7 inches, and we found it hard to believe they reached 40+ inches only a mile or so away. Still it could be differences in wind etc.; we'll have to get up there and check things out first hand soon!

Cool, I'm looking forward to your report JSpin. Where exactly is the Snotel? Is it above the new lift?

We are going to Jackson Hot Springs for Thanksgiving and bringing the skins.

montanatom":bec61kld said:
... Where exactly is the Snotel? Is it above the new lift?
Montanatom,
The Saddle Mountain Snotel is not on Saddle Mountain, and not above the new lift, but is on the Saddle Mountain Road, about ½ mile northwest of the top of Lost Trail Chair 2. Go to the following web site and look for a small red cross near the center. That's the approximate location:
http://www.topozone.com/print.asp?z=12& ... atum=nad27
You may get a print menu, which you can cancel.

In the winter the easiest way to find it is to take Chair Lift 4 and climb to the top of the Oreo run and ski down the section which follows a fire-line from the 2000 fires. Where it flattens out, Oreo bends left to go down a cat track. Continue straight on the fire-line which soon ends. Continue to follow the Saddle Mountain Road. The Snotel site is a short distance beyond (south) of the end of the fire-line (about ¼ mile as I recall.) It?s slightly uphill on the right (SW). You can than backtrack to Oreo, or continue on the Saddle Mountain Road to the Meadow Run where the road becomes the main cat track back to the lodge.

By the way, some folks think that Chair 4 is on Saddle Mountain. Saddle Mountain is actually about 1.5 miles northwest of the top of Chair 4 across the steep canyon of the West Fork of Camp Creek. However the Saddle Mountain Road does go to near the top of the Mountain. Take the Oreo run as described, but where it flattens out; look for the signs on the right (west) side of the run. The road goes west from here. We plan a ski trip out there most every spring.

Here are some links for Snotel Data:
One month?s DAILY READINGS:
http://www3.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl ... 0&state=MT
Seven day?s THREE HOUR READINGS:
http://www3.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl ... 7&state=MT
This last one is handy if there are missing daily readings, or to see the latest reading.
The NOAA version of the three hour readings.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesonet/getobex ... =168&raw=0

/s/ Cliff

Idaho Cliff":3uqckpl5 said:
By the way, some folks think that Chair 4 is on Saddle Mountain. Saddle Mountain is actually about 1.5 miles northwest of the top of Chair 4 across the steep canyon of the West Fork of Camp Creek. /s/ Cliff

Thanks for clearing that up Cliff. I had actually seen the real Saddle Mountain labeled on a map before (see map below), and a Lost Trail patroller had also pointed it out. What was confusing was that it was a somewhat different peak than the one where Chair 4 tops out. Based on the way everyone spoke about it, I got the feeling that the entire rim of terrain surrounding the top of Camp Creek's West Fork (see map below) was actually all considered part of Saddle Mountain. There didn't seem to be any huge elevation changes around the rim, so it didn't seem that crazy of an idea. Is this actually the case, or does the terrain near the top of Chair 4 have its own name?

Thanks again for the very informative post, I can't wait to stop by and check out the Saddle Mountain SNOTEL sometime. It'll be nice to see the actual location that gives me all the useful snowfall information for the Lost Trail area.

J.Spin

Attachments

• Saddle.jpg
    Saddle.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,199
Back