Moonlight Basin, MT 12/19/05

hamdog

foggy and very low vis up on the Headwaters terrain. lower mountain had just overcast skies, but temps warmed up (high teen's) and the snow was riding great all over the hill. a few laps on the Lone Tree lift revealed some stashes left over. a number of ropes were dropped for this year. some sweet pillowy cliff bands on a 35ish degree slope (given the right amount of snow consistency and how much balls/ovaries you happen to have on that day)

that long slow groomer Meriwhether was riding as always. clean groomed, empty and silentness. other groomers rode well even on the boiler plate area's. temps warmed up and make the snow very edgable on the hardpack. fast riding!

The Headwaters.
socked in with clouds in and out all day. it never clearly lifted up enough to see anymore than the bottom half of the Headwaters terrain. the new chair is dope. this was a monday, but we saw more patrol up there than any other people. one of the patrollers said that he was glad to see someone hiking and riding up here finally. he may have been blowing smoke, but he also said that the terrain gets a lot of traffic on a powder day, but then dies down. by "dies down" he meant becomes a ghost town. temps have been bitter cold so this may have played a role too.

we hit 3 forks number 1 and our second line was jack creek. 3 forks had decent and fresh assortments of wind pillows and wind slabs. lower down consisted of pockets and chunk. at the juntion of all 3 forks we bared right to see what whitetail was holding. a little something something awated us here too. sharp and solid edgehold in the crux of the spit. more fresh in the bowl runout zone. sweet. first run. oops. we also did a lap on cold spring right before this and it's all choppy crud with powder and rocks awating along the sides for you the whole way down. ok, now onto our third lap.

jack creek never openned at all last year due to the lack of snow. it seemed to have been open for awhile because it was rather firm in the more constricted sections. this is December and we're already doing better than last year. this is quite the line. i'm surprised it's open to the public to tell you the truth. better be ontop of your game in here. ooo boy! a few narrow mandadory b-lines, some more of the white stuff that makes you choke, and finally a quick section of firm in the gut and freshy fresh in the bowl. jack is a consistent 42ish degrees, give or take. most impressed with this run so far.

some jumping in the bowl and freeriding fun down to the sixer. that was pretty much the day.

i took a few photo's despite the low visibility and low quality setting.

Attachments

• jumping.jpg
    jumping.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,290
  • mid jack creek pow stash.jpg
    mid jack creek pow stash.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 4,283
  • jack creek.jpg
    jack creek.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 4,289
  • whitetail.jpg
    whitetail.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 4,275
  • 3 forks riding. D.jpg
    3 forks riding. D.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 4,276
  • bootin 3 forks 1.jpg
    bootin 3 forks 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4,295
  • Headwaters chair 2.jpg
    Headwaters chair 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 4,280
  • foggy MLB.jpg
    foggy MLB.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4,274
Thanks Hamdog! That Headwaters lift is crazy. I've only seen it from Challenger when it was closed a couple of weeks ago. I think I'll need a couple of feet of pow to hit some of those runs. Have you done the North Snowfields into Moonlight off the tram yet?

bootin_3_forks_1.jpg

OK, I've been staring at this photo for a few minutes thinking you were nuts and trying to figure out how the hell you dropped through that seam and wondering what was below. Then I read the caption. :D I knew you do some pretty extreme stuff, but I was thinking that's freaking ridiculous, that dudes gonna die. :lol:

Looks like some nice terrain. Suprised you could see though in that flat light. Nice report and pics.

Have you done the North Snowfields into Moonlight off the tram yet?

i don't have a Lone Peak pass. nor am i willing to fork out $78 to ride a few new runs. so no. i haven't riden the N Snowfields. i'm not 100% sure, but i would expect this area to maintain a nice slabby snowpack. it'd be a late morning or early afternoon sunny day spring time only kind of a run for me........if i were to ever do it.

a couple more feet will definately put the Headwaters terrain is supreme shape. the crux's of Hellroaring and Firehole was fairly chewed up and rocky. the patrol sign said to sidestep these sections, not slip them. 2' would take care of that for sure. Don't tell Moma and Dead Goat looked virtually untouched (brutal hike), but some sections require some meticulous navigation.

i'm gonna miss not having a pass at MLB this year, but oh well.

I am certainly looking forward to a shot at the North Snowfields when I am in the area Jan. 22-24. Are they open yet? The Big Sky rep at L.A. Ski Show said they were about on a par with Marx in difficulty. Not as extreme as Big Couloir or what you were riding in Headwaters.

I am certainly looking forward to a shot at the North Snowfields when I am in the area Jan. 22-24. Are they open yet?

Big Sky is 100% open. Moonlight is 90% open. since the North Snowfields are part of Moon this is part of the 10% that isn't open quite yet. a little more snow and i'm sure they'll open it up for the holiday's. a few more jumps were made in the park at BS recently, and the pipe is close to being cut.

from the MLB website:
North Summit Snowfield opens today from 11am to 2pm! Lone Peak pass and ticket holders must check in with Ski Patrol at the top of the tram. Probe, transceiver, shovel, partner, and knowledge of terrain are required.

Merry Christmas!

I gave Adam probe, shovel and Ortovox X1 transceiver for his 21st birthday last week. I will be borrowing them for Big Sky/Jackson Hole :).

Back