Mt. Baldy, CA, Feb. 8, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
The SoCal mountains have had 5-7 feet of snow so far in February though the biggest storm Feb. 4-6 started with heavy rain. Baldy opened Wednesday but I waited until Thursday for a better shot at Thunder being open I was skeptical of chair 1 due to that Sunday rain. As is usually the case, the first rule of Baldy is that you will not get what you expect.

Baldy's Mountain Reports this season are a good faith attempt to be more informative even though they don't always prove accurate. Last night the prediction for Thunder was :
85% chance of being open around noon.
Tonight:
The good & bad news is that we have yet to open Lift #3 or #4 since the big storm.
Lift #3 - Expected mid to late morning potentially noon Friday due to a mechanical issue we are currently working on
View driving up above Mt. Baldy Village about 7:40:
IMG_4815.JPG

I got there just before 8:00 and was in ticket line 8:05-8:25.

Robby Ellingson come out around 9:30 to announce conditions to us waiting for chair 1. He said that only chairs 1&2 were open to skiing Wednesday. It snowed 6-12 inches of wind packed snow over Wednesday night. This snow bonded well to what had been skied the day before but the new snow had fractured and slid on Holcumac which had not been skied. Thus patrol was going to ski cut Thunder carefully.

Shortly thereafter patrol came down to chair 1.
IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4820.JPG

Chair 1 started public loading at 9:45.

My first run was Nightmare.
IMG_4823.JPG

The snow was mostly windpacked as advertised. There was no crust or sastrugi but it did require effort, so I needed the "suck wind" breaks" that have become common with high effort skiing these past two seasons.

View up Bentley's riding chair 1 back up:
IMG_4825.JPG

View up Nightmare:
IMG_4827.JPG

My next two runs were in the Morgan's Grove trees between Bentley's and Nightmare.
IMG_4829.JPG

And yes by run#3 the Baldy cloud had rolled in.

At the start of that run about 11:15 I heard the upper liftie being told that Thunder would be another 2 hours. So I took a break with a bowl of soup to gather energy for that opening. I skied down the beginner gulch and suspected problems when no one was in line for Thunder and the only activity at its base was patrol attending to an injured skier. I rode chair 2 up and skied Bentley's. At the bottom of Chair 1 an employee Cindy with a hot spot cell phone (there is no cell reception at Baldy except at top of Thunder) informed me about the just discovered mechanical issue with Thunder. Staff was being moved to work on chair 4 but there was no chance it would open today.

So I took one more run on chair 1, this time out the north facing pitches skier's left of Bentley's.
IMG_4832.JPG

I could ski these runs a bit more fluidly as they were getting skier packed.

Lower down view to the parking lot:
IMG_4836.JPG

I left at 2PM after a modest 7,200 vertical feet, but it was nonetheless a workout.

Although the particulars of this ski day were disappointing with no Thunder opening, the big picture review is very positive. The coverage on chair 1 is much better than I expected. The wind and skier packed snow will be good right away as opposed to sometimes when much of the mountain is skied out leaving cement-like set up powder that is difficult for 2-3 weeks afterwards. I definitely made the right call to trim the length of our Canada trip because SoCal skiing is going to be good between now and when we leave for Iron Blosam in a month.

Other local ski areas are no better in opening up after this storm. Mt. High East will open tomorrow. Slide Peak at Snow Valley was not open today and I don't see an announcement on the website despite Snow Valley getting the most snow from this storm. And Mt. Waterman continues to be screwed over by Caltrans:
News Update
2/7/2024
We have about 2-4 feet of snow {Really they have more like 4-6 feet but since they can't get there they don't know} on the hill from the latest storms.​
The roads are closed up to Waterman with heavy avalanche warnings.
We will update again when we can get up to the hill.
Currently the lifts are closed.​
While there are often grounds to critique Baldy management, somehow there is consistent timely clearing of the road between Mt. Baldy village and the ski area. Baldy employees were up there every day during this storm clearing snow, de-icing lifts, etc.

Last edited:
I've noted a) from the pix posted here how beautiful the landscape is around Baldy and b) that reports seem to be skewed to myriad operations issues, challenges opening terrain, difficulties getting to/from there, snowplayers, etc. I get it; that's what happens when a ski area with legit terrain is so close to a huge warm-weather metro area. Not criticising, I'm impressed that it's still in business but it seems like you go there with a different expectation of what is considered a successful ski day.

reports seem to be skewed to myriad operations issues, challenges opening terrain
If you try to hit fresh snow after a storm, that comes with the territory. The weather at Baldy is extremely violent during storms; you always see the rime on trees and lift towers in my reports on those days. That rime is on lift cables too and often has to be removed manually. And unlike Mammoth the most violent weather is not up high so you can easily open a bunch of ski terrain below it.
I'm impressed that it's still in business
Clearly there is more emphasis on summer business and secondarily the tubing park in the winter that gets first snowmaking priority.
successful ski day
Not that successful a ski day but from what I saw there will be successful ski days at Baldy soon this season. There are times when it's not like that; you can tell that more snow is needed or that it may take weeks for for the ungroomed skiing to become pleasant.

Any hints of Baldy ever installing the used triple sitting in their parking lot? I get that they aren't exactly rolling in the dough, but if they could actually open the other lifts consistently maybe they actually could draw enough skiers to make more money...

I think the used triple is short and will be replacing chair 2.
maybe they actually could draw enough skiers to make more money...
Natural snow dependency in SoCal means that is not happening on a consistent basis. They are smart IMHO to prioritize summer business and the tubing park. Baldy does need to have enough qualified staff to run the resort in full operation when they do have snow, which they did not last March/April. We will see how that goes over the next month.
What are the revenue vehicles during summer?
Scenic rides to the Notch, which is also an assist for hikers going to the top of Baldy, as I have used it all 3 times I have done that. They also serve F&B at the Notch and have live music there on some summer weekends.

Last edited:
The SoCal mountains have had 5-7 feet of snow so far in February though the biggest storm Feb. 4-6 started with heavy rain. Baldy opened Wednesday but I waited until Thursday for a better shot at Thunder being open I was skeptical of chair 1 due to that Sunday rain. As is usually the case, the first rule of Baldy is that you will not get what you expect.

Baldy's Mountain Reports this season are a good faith attempt to be more informative even though they don't always prove accurate. Last night the prediction for Thunder was :

Tonight:

View driving up above Mt. Baldy Village about 7:40:
View attachment 39117
I got there just before 8:00 and was in ticket line 8:05-8:25.

Robby Ellingson come out around 9:30 to announce conditions to us waiting for chair 1. He said that only chairs 1&2 were open to skiing Wednesday. It snowed 6-12 inches of wind packed snow over Wednesday night. This snow bonded well to what had been skied the day before but the new snow had fractured and slid on Holcumac which had not been skied. Thus patrol was going to ski cut Thunder carefully.

Shortly thereafter patrol came down to chair 1.
View attachment 39118

View attachment 39119
Chair 1 started public loading at 9:45.

My first run was Nightmare.
View attachment 39120
The snow was mostly windpacked as advertised. There was no crust or sastrugi but it did require effort, so I needed the "suck wind" breaks" that have become common with high effort skiing these past two seasons.

View up Bentley's riding chair 1 back up:
View attachment 39121

View up Nightmare:
View attachment 39122

My next two runs were in the Morgan's Grove trees between Bentley's and Nightmare.
View attachment 39123
And yes by run#3 the Baldy cloud had rolled in.

At the start of that run about 11:15 I heard the upper liftie being told that Thunder would be another 2 hours. So I took a break with a bowl of soup to gather energy for that opening. I skied down the beginner gulch and suspected problems when no one was in line for Thunder and the only activity at its base was patrol attending to an injured skier. I rode chair 2 up and skied Bentley's. At the bottom of Chair 1 an employee Cindy with a hot spot cell phone (there is no cell reception at Baldy except at top of Thunder) informed me about the just discovered mechanical issue with Thunder. Staff was being moved to work on chair 4 but there was no chance it would open today.

So I took one more run on chair 1, this time out the north facing pitches skier's left of Bentley's.
View attachment 39124
I could ski these runs a bit more fluidly as they were getting skier packed.

Lower down view to the parking lot:
View attachment 39125

I left at 2PM after a modest 7,200 vertical feet, but it was nonetheless a workout.

Although the particulars of this ski day were disappointing with no Thunder opening, the big picture review is very positive. The coverage on chair 1 is much better than I expected. The wind and skier packed snow will be good right away as opposed to sometimes when much of the mountain is skied out leaving cement-like set up powder that is difficult for 2-3 weeks afterwards. I definitely made the right call to trim the length of our Canada trip because SoCal skiing is going to be good between now and when we leave for Iron Blosam in a month.

Other local ski areas are no better in opening up after this storm. Mt. High East will open tomorrow. Slide Peak at Snow Valley was not open today and I don't see an announcement on the website despite Snow Valley getting the most snow from this storm. And Mt. Waterman continues to be screwed over by Caltrans:

While there are often grounds to critique Baldy management, somehow there is consistent timely clearing of the road between Mt. Baldy village and the ski area. Baldy employees were up there every day during this storm clearing snow, de-icing lifts, etc.
I’m thinking about skiing Baldy tomorrow (Monday). Having seen the snow conditions last week, do you think it will still be good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back