Mt. Hood/Timberline, OR, June 30 – July 1, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
On Thursday we took it easy, drove up to Government Camp and saw a couple of Oregon Trail sites. Then we hiked 2+ miles along the Salmon River not far from where we were staying at an Airbnb.

IMG_6574.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6580.JPG

Weather was delightful, probably low 70’s, and the hike was entirely shaded by the old growth forest.

On Friday we notched our July ski day at Timberline. Since snow didn’t soften until past 9AM and we thought Friday would be busier, we packed up early and got to Timberline Lodge for breakfast. Even though the ski area opens at 7AM, the Lodge’s Cascade dining room doesn’t open to until 8AM. Like lots of things this season they blamed it upon “COVID staffing issues.” The cafeteria breakfast at the Wy’East day lodge is reserved for the camps and not open to the public.

Temperatures were the same as Wednesday, 40’s early and 50’s midday, but there was almost no wind. So when we got up the hill at 9AM all of Magic Mile’s terrain had softened, perhaps about half an hour earlier than on Wednesday.

IMG_6599.JPG

We skied the 3 Magic Mile variations twice each before heading up Palmer at 11AM. The Magic Mile lift line formed again from 10:00-10:30 but we never had much of a wait on Palmer. We alternated sides above Palmer’s mid-station, but around noon Liz went with me beyond the western boundary.

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6613a.jpg

On Wednesday I was conservative about getting back in bounds well above the bottom of Palmer, but this time we continued on.

IMG_6609.JPG

It’s not obvious where there might be a break in the rock spine at left, but there were tracks and 3 skiers below us, so I watched to see where they would cut left. We did have to walk over about 5 feet of bare ground at the narrow point lower right of the above pic.

IMG_6615.JPG

I saw the 3 skiers traverse with a few step ups to return to Palmer, but Liz skied lower so I followed her. Fortunately we found a break in the rock spine about 1/3 of the way down Magic Mile.

IMG_6616a.jpg

Riding back up, midday is when the park scene is most active.

IMG_6618a.jpg

The continuous line of skiers center right is on the rope tow.

Friday was unexpectedly less busy than Wednesday. Each of the 4 sectors seemed to have at least one fewer set of gates set up. So despite the calmer weather the salted corn remained ideal to the end on both sides of upper Palmer as well as lower skier’s right. A camp instructor said that it doesn't get sloppy on the upper mountain unless temps get over 65F. Liz enjoying the ego cruising on our last run about 1:30:

IMG_6620.JPG

We thought the imminent holiday weekend would bump up the crowds, but traffic is more driven by camp schedules, which are quite variable. We rode a lift with 9 and 10 year old girls from Vail who were there through July 17. Their schedule was 3 sessions of : 3 days slalom, one day off, 3 days GS, two days off.

We drove down to Portland via the Columbia River Gorge. I hoped to show Liz the windsurfing scene there and it did not disappoint. It was blowing ~20 knots along the shore and one of the rental guys said it had been 40 knots on the water a couple of hours earlier.

I was curious what the distribution would be between windsurfers and kiteboards, but there is now a third mechanism for harnessing the Gorge’s famous winds.

IMG_6625a.jpg

Liz is holding the wing in the wind and in left background you can see the short board with foil that the riders stand upon. With enough wind power the board rises out of the water completely as seen here.

IMG_6661a.JPG

The America’s Cup catamarans in recent years work this way too.

Overall kiteboards are probably the most popular gear in the gorge now.

IMG_6637a.JPG

I had thought that kites had gained popularity largely due to better performance in light winds. But as with windsurfers the kites work in higher winds with less surface area.

There were plenty of windsurfers and wing/foils out today too.

IMG_6631a.JPG

IMG_6653a.JPG

I dabbled in windsurfing mainly at Cabrillo Beach in the late 1980's and 1990's but never got past a low intermediate level. Kites are supposed to be easier to learn but they did not come on the scene until later. The rental guy admitted that the wing/foil setup requires even more athleticism and balance than windsurfers or kiteboards.

Last edited:
Great report!!
I became quite proficient at windsurfing..I did try kiting, easy it ain't. It was a form of water torture i won't soon forget..
Now it's all about mountain biking

Great report!!
I became quite proficient at windsurfing..I did try kiting, easy it ain't. It was a form of water torture i won't soon forget..
Now it's all about mountain biking

Kiteboarding is not easy. The traffic out there at Hood River makes me cringe.

I have a small rental/Airbnb property in Fort Lauderdale, South Florida (parents live nearby), and was debating buying some kiteboarding gear. Therefore I went for a week with a friend to the Dominican Republic north shore - specifically Cabarete - a couple of years ago to learn. Cabarete has a ton of surf schools, consistent winds, a protected shore by a coral reef, and is relatively cheap. I thought the Cabarete winds were trade winds, but they are not. It's on-shore/off-shore breezes. Since the island of Hispanola is quite large, the interior heats to 90f+ most days which creates an on-shore sea breeze daily - vs 80f sea temperature. Generally 20knots by noon.

I found kiteboarding challenging since you have both 1. surfboard and 2. a kite. On the first day, you are just learning how to fly the kite with one hand. Within a few days, I could get up and do turns. Cabarete has a cool 'lifeguard area' where they will spot you, and send a boat out if you have problems getting back up. Great fun!

However, Florida is not a great area for kiteboarding. The winds are basically in the winter months, and not always on shore. Also, I would not always have a partner - which you really need. Therefore I passed on the equipment purchase which is significant: min $5k. Also, winds - I need about 17-20 knots to get up weighing about 200 lbs. If you are around 150lbs, you can get up with maybe 12-15 knot winds. Those are definitely not always available in South Florida. Therefore, I'll rent. Instead, I invested in good scuba gear.

Instead, I invested in good scuba gear.
Good choice, and one you'll appreciate even more as you get older. I was 51 when I got certified and did not have intensive trips to refine skills until I retired. Liz was certified a decade before I was. My dive count (now 247) was ahead of my ski area count from 2016-2020 but in the past two years I've only had a few dives in Florida while adding 20 new ski areas.

Yeah, I have been scuba diving for a while. While in business school, I went to Australia with friends on a live-aboard on the Great Barrier Reef off of Airlie Beach, Australia. Needed to get certified to keep up in Monterrey Bay in December 2000s. Horrible.

With friends/family living in South Florida and just working remotely on occasion I have been able to get to a lot of places in the Caribbean - especially while JetBlue/Southwest kept adding Caribean/Latin American destinations for $100-150 rt's over the last ten years: (they are are all closer than NYC)
  • Little Cayman - favorite, unspoiled
  • Bonaire - favorite, pickup truck, do-it-yourself, beach dives
  • Roatan - favorite, cheap unspoiled dives
  • Grand Cayman - nice walls, but a bit touristy
  • Turks & Caicos - favorite, really good, but long boat rides
  • Belize - Blue Hole, walls, etc - nice!
  • Bahamas - basically not great, but Eleuthera is nice
  • Florida Keys - trashed for the most part, need to get out to Key West/Big Pine Key
  • Cozumel - is still very nice despite the traffic
  • Tulum - like the cenotes
  • USVI/BVI - lots of nice places, Rhone
  • Grenada - statues
  • Curacao - nice dives on NW end
  • South Florida - some days drift? not great, lots of sharks during migrations
In a couple of weeks, I'm going to Saba and Dominica.

Interesting list above. The Caribbean is somewhat of a tedious travel destination from the West Coast, so only about of 1/4 of my dives have been there, and one of the 5 liveaboards, from Cuba in 2017. Liz was certified in Bonaire and from her time in NYC has spent more time in the Caribbean.

We had two dives off Palm Beach in May 2021; coral was trashed but fish life was good. ChrisC should check out the blackwater night dives there sometime. Seas were too rough for that in 2021 and in July 2020 not much of the deepwater marine life came up to viewing distance. Maybe they knew something about Hurricane Isaias which moved through the area 3 days later.

While I'm spoiled by marine diversity in places like Palau and Indonesia, Belize and Cozumel are the best values in my dive experience.

Needed to get certified to keep up in Monterrey Bay in December 2000s. Horrible.
Even more of a challenge than Adam getting certified in San Diego in February 2006. My SoCal classes were in the warmer months but beach dives can still be tough. Catalina has decent vis and marine life but it's still cold water and logistically tedious.

Last edited:
Family also has a house in south Fla
For me Fla is all about fishing and believe it or not some great mountain biking.
Kiting and windsurfing is all done on the ocean. Way above my pay grade.

For me Fla is all about fishing and believe it or not some great mountain biking.
That's quite a bit unintuitive... Do tell...

I've never kited, and only attempted windsurfing a couple times, but it never "took" for me. Rather sail a fast Hobie cat, or kayak, or go water skiing, or etc... depending on the situation. Despite my love of water and being underwater a ton in the pool as a kid, I never have scuba dived. In fact I've only snorkeled a coupe times really either... I need to add some more of that stuff in. Perhaps when I'm in the Bahamas next month.

I do have a stand up paddle board coming to throw on a couple small local "lakes" in the summer (with no power boats allowed since they are more like oversized ponds). Despite being hundreds of miles from any lakes/reservoirs that are not wildly overcrowded I'm hoping to get back to a bit more water stuff like when I was a kid...

I've never kited, and only attempted windsurfing a couple times, but it never "took" for me.
These sports (and surfing) have a tough learning curve. Even for those with natural athletic talent, you need to live within daytrip distance to get in enough sessions over a reasonable period of time to climb that learning curve. One of my high school classmates said 100 sessions for surfing. I asked Adam, who took up surfing in college at UCSD (rather ideal location) and even he said 50 sessions despite his skiing, boogie boarding and skateboarding since early childhood. My former ski buddies in the 1980's who became successful windsurfers at Cabrillo Beach were there 30-50 days a year.
From my time in Florida I can tell that fishing is huge. And any kind of boating. I'd guess there is more sheltered dock space within a 20 mile radius of my summer 2020 abode than in the entire state of California. It's not a surprise the former admin here had a sailboat when he lived in Florida. Liz bought those ill fated kayaks in spring 2021 even though she didn't know how often we would be there going forward.

As for wind in Florida, there is zero in summer unless a hurricane wanders into the region. I've been there about 6 weeks in other seasons and I'd agree with ChrisC that those winds are quite variable in both intensity and direction.

Biking should be popular precisely because there aren't any hills aside from bridges over the waterways. I didn't bike when I was there because it was summer, but there's a 45 mile dedicated Pinellas bike trail with an entry/overpass maybe a couple of miles from Liz' place.

Scuba is a good lifetime sport, which is fortunate because the exotic travel to the best places takes time and $$$. It helps to have something local available to avoid long periods (over a year) between dives. Some people feel claustrophobic in scuba gear. If you have done a lot of snorkeling it's easy to learn in a good environment. Liz would editorialize that SoCal beaches with a shore break and poor visibility are not the best learning environment. Buoyancy control is also more difficult in thick wetsuits required for cold water.

Last edited:
That's quite a bit unintuitive... Do tell...

I've never kited, and only attempted windsurfing a couple times, but it never "took" for me. Rather sail a fast Hobie cat, or kayak, or go water skiing, or etc... depending on the situation. Despite my love of water and being underwater a ton in the pool as a kid, I never have scuba dived. In fact I've only snorkeled a coupe times really either... I need to add some more of that stuff in. Perhaps when I'm in the Bahamas next month.

I do have a stand up paddle board coming to throw on a couple small local "lakes" in the summer (with no power boats allowed since they are more like oversized ponds). Despite being hundreds of miles from any lakes/reservoirs that are not wildly overcrowded I'm hoping to get back to a bit more water stuff like when I was a kid...
Yes it is counterintuitive.. Is it the best MTBing around no. But it is very very good and very hard.. They have done some incrediable building in Santos and Markem Park.. Santos is outside of Orlando and yes it is hilly..I have ridden all over the country and this is very good..Oh Markem Park is 30 mins from Ft Lauderdale.. Youtube , you will be shocked

Yes it is counterintuitive.. Is it the best MTBing around no. But it is very very good and very hard.. They have done some incrediable building in Santos and Markem Park.. Santos is outside of Orlando and yes it is hilly..I have ridden all over the country and this is very good..Oh Markem Park is 30 mins from Ft Lauderdale.. Youtube , you will be shocked

That's interesting - I was unaware of Markem Park. I usually bring bikes either to A1A/the coast, south to Oleta River State Park near Sunny Isles/Aventura (Moscow on the Atlantic) or even out to Everglades National Park - Shark Alley.

Liz would editorialize that SoCal beaches with a shore break and poor visibility are not the best learning environment. Buoyancy control is also more difficult in thick wetsuits required for cold water.

I agree. I generally have to be dragged to the kelp beds.
Interesting list above. The Caribbean is somewhat of a tedious travel destination from the West Coast, so only about of 1/4 of my dives have been there, and one of the 5 liveaboards, from Cuba in 2017. Liz was certified in Bonaire and from her time in NYC has spent more time in the Caribbean.

We had two dives off Palm Beach in May 2021; coral was trashed but fish life was good. ChrisC should check out the blackwater night dives there sometime. Seas were too rough for that in 2021 and in July 2020 not much of the deepwater marine life came up to viewing distance. Maybe they knew something about Hurricane Isaias which moved through the area 3 days later.

I used to travel a lot for work to corporate HQs based in the East and Southeast, so it was easy to tack on a Florida extension. Also, Jetblue and Southwest built out a huge number of international flights from Fort Lauderdale in the 2010s - so they offered promo rates to every Caribbean destination from $90-150 rt for the first couple of months upon starting service.

The coral is trashed almost everywhere in Florida and the Florida Keys. Need to get out to Big Pine Key or Key West to still find some decent reefs. I have only done 2 night dives - Great Barrier Reef (saw nothing), and Bonaire Ostrocod Night Dive (very cool). Diving off of Palm Beach/Jupiter is almost known for its shark diving (Lemon, Reef, Black tip, Hammerheads)....also aggressive Bull and Tiger sharks which I have no desire to encounter.

Back