New storm on the way

Powderqueen":1ycyrwgt said:
Blue is probably a better bet. They are in target for 6-10"

Elk is 3-5"

Camelback is weak, but they are in the 4-8" zone

If you can get to any of these places tomorrow, they should be great with any fresh snow. Please post a report.

That's if you can get there. I have a feeling the roads are going to be slow going.

Wondering who has skied Blue?

A lot of people in this area have skied it. It's the closest lift served skiing for a couple million people.

I've skied it, maybe 5-10 times.

I can understand why they don't have tree skiing. Natural snowfall, in a normal year has got to be minimal.

As I recall, they do have an good snowmaking capacity relative to the amount of terrrain.

I'm sure this will open me up to criticism about lack of flexibility etc. But I rather do laps on Sagamore at Gore all weekend (or whatever they've been blowing on) than face Blue Mtn. If there's a serious dump (18+) they've prob only got a few trails with enough pitch to be fun. And if you can get there, it will be insane.

I'm certainly not down on small local hills. But I don't think I'll ever go back to Blue.

Noaa is showing the catskills picking up 10 inches. I imagine some of the mountains will get more than that.

I was under the impression that Hunter / the Catskills in general weren't getting anything spectacular out of this storm... Blue Mtn sounds pretty promising, I think as it stands that's where I'm going to try to head tomorrow morning from NYC... They seem to be calling for what looks like a total of 10-13 at Blue, on their website. Anyone have any solid info on how much snow has fallen at Hunter so far?

Sven

Storm was a bust in Western Mass (and I assume farther north). We got (at most) 1 or 2 inches. Looks like some the Catskills' mountains are reporting 4 or 5 inches, but not as much as some of the early predictions forecast. Low pressure center did not come far enough North to bring substantial moisture into interior NE. Oh well, at least cold enough temperatures for snow making.

Bell reported 8 inches, Hunter 5, Whindham 4, Plattekill 6. It may not be the 14+ we needed but it will certainly help out. It was also pretty dense snow, so it should do a lot in terms of sticking to the hard stuff. I'll be up at the bell this weekend.

I went to Blue and have to say I was very unimpressed. They groomed everything except one little patch on one of the "double blacks" (Nightmare I think), and droned on repetitively over their loudspeaker from the lodge about how they were going to pull any tickets of anyone skiing any "non designated" slope (I heard them say it at least 5 times, pretty much every other time I was anywhere near the lodge).

Blue gave off more of a vibe of being a kindergartener under adult supervision in a pit full of plastic balls at McDonald's than a vibe of a true ski area, with all of its warnings everywhere (both spoken and written), and what appeared to be an attempt to snub anyone there trying to take advantage of this (what I assume to be rare) occasion that their snow conditions were not horrific. I'd definitely pick a dusting of snow at Hunter over a foot at Blue in the future.

ANd this is why I avoid thwe Poconos. I know a Blue regular so I get to hear about their insane regulations. They even pull you into a safety meeting to watch videos if you are caught speeding. Its a shame but its their place and they can do what they want. its why I go to Hunter...where you can pretty much do what you want.

kingslug":ao2okzh8 said:
ANd this is why I avoid thwe Poconos. I know a Blue regular so I get to hear about their insane regulations. They even pull you into a safety meeting to watch videos if you are caught speeding. Its a shame but its their place and they can do what they want. its why I go to Hunter...where you can pretty much do what you want.

wow dude, a safety meeting! awesome!

Back