News from Gore

In one regard, this expansion will only spread the place out even more than it already is and probably help disperse people even better (which never seems to be much of a problem at Gore).

The Twister Glades are great fun with good snow though. I got to ski them last year after the mega 39 inch dump that Gore got, and it was a great time. Perhaps they'll glade out some more terrain near the expansion in due course however?

Other interesting point is that snow conditions are often better up higher at Gore in my opinion, but I imagine these will be snow making blue trails...

CW,

I think you are right for now - it's another lift without much more parking, I THINK. (Anybody know?) If and when the condos go in that will be a different story.

Gotta love the twister glades of 2/15 last year (or maybe 2/16). I'd never been in there, and it was like a ski movie - continuous ripping through widely spaced trees.

I'm hoping your right about the glades expanding. Truthfully - even if they don't "expand," I'm sure they'll expand naturally.

Most mountains in the east have better snow at the top, if they can hold it. And most mountains have less space to expand at the summit. To me it seems like Gore could do more up there. I completely understand why this comes first.

Actually it looks like the top of this new chair is only a couple hundred feet below the saddle, so it's not all exactly at the bottom or below.

Ultimately I don't know if the expansion will be good or bad for a skier like me. But I do know this...tomorrow night, when it's 47 degrees, I'll be up at our camp, watching a ski video and dreaming of the snow.

Woooo hooooo!

Harv

While it will definitely impact the continuity of the Twister and Tahawus glades, the main damage will be the effect on the back country cross country runs on Burnt Ridge. Still, having another parking lot will be helpful on those days when the main lots overflow onto the access road.

Helpful?

I disagree.

More parking will make Gore like every other mountain. Now, if the mountain is fully open, even when the lots are full, the mountain skis uncrowded.

How much more parking do you want?

Again I have to disagree. For starters, I'm thinking about last Feb 16,17,18 when cars were turned away. On those days more parking would have meant more skiers. In addition,I'm sure there are people who get up at 10 and think, I just don't want to park down the access road, forget it. Now those folks will come too.

Now if I was responsible for the profitability of Gore, I'd do the same thing. Add more parking. It clearly is the limit on skier traffic right now. But I'm a skier and I like uncrowded slopes.

Same thing with HSQs. Who needs em?

I think you can count that number of people on one hand. Locals would most likely would be at the mountain before the parking gets bad and anyone who had intent on skiing Gore made some kind of effort to get there and is not turning around and going home.

Work in progress:

hotshots4.jpg

hotshots1.jpg

hotshots2.jpg

hotshots3.jpg

hotshots5.jpg

hotshots6.jpg

Harvey44":392v6hou said:
Same thing with HSQs. Who needs em?

HSQ's don't affect lift capacity. Both a fixed grip quad and a HSQ have approximately 2400 skiers/hour (fixed grip chairs are spaced closer together). The difference for the skier is the ride time. For longer rides, a HSQ makes sense. It is not an issue of capacity in general.

I didn't know that about high speed chairs. It always seemed like the traffic gravitated towards the faster lifts.

Harvey44":28yjf02u said:
I didn't know that about high speed chairs. It always seemed like the traffic gravitated towards the faster lifts.

Perhaps it does, whether because they are easier to get on, people like shorter rides, or the fact that the high speed lifts often have more vertical and go up the main peak of mountains. But they don't affect capacity.

I do not think the new lift is going to affect either glade. It seems that it is on the Ridge above Twister and it is well below Tahawus.

While there may have been some skiable glade in there, it is at lower elevation anyway, and like Twister, will only provide good skiing when there is a lot of snow in the mid season.

I think anything to spread out the crowds at Gore is a good thing.

Parking has always been an issue, which is why I go up there very early in the morning. I am happy for the new base area/learning center...that should take a load off the original base lodge on busy weekends.

I would run screaming from Gore. They just don't get enough snow and the crowds are a killer. There are mountains that get more snow and less crowds.

Sharon":kckjlc5e said:
I do not think the new lift is going to affect either glade. It seems that it is on the Ridge above Twister and it is well below Tahawus.

but some of the better tree skiing is/was up there which now be more accessible

Rode the gondi this weekend and had a better view. I think Twister glades will be basically unaffected.

Back