Ogden UT #2 North American ski town in Powder Magazine

I analyzed that Powder magazine list on another Forum:

The Powder Magazine P3, like this thread has identified snowfall, acreage and low skier visits as key variables. It's harder to quantify issues like layout of the mountain, as noted in my analysis below.

1) Revelstoke is presumably using some inflated snowfall number vs. the real number which is around 350 inches. I was there on a powder Saturday last year and there's a long wait to get up the mountain and most of it was chopped up when I did. Probably pretty good midweek powder days but not a top 5 powder area. To get on the list I would include Kicking Horse, 1 1/2 hours away with a worse lift layout and less snow but better terrain.

2) Ogden (presumably means Snowbasin + Powder Mt.) Makes sense, BUT these areas are only half an hour closer from Ogden than from Salt Lake. If you want to be very close to Powder Mt. you have to stay in Eden.

3) Bozeman. Also likely using inflated snowfall where the real numbers, unlike Revelstoke, are supported by decades of stats: 302 inches for Bridger and 258 for Big Sky. Big Sky/Moonlight has huge acreage but how much of it really usable for powder skiing? Much of the lower mountain is too flat and much of Lone Peak is unskiable cliffs. Not a top 10 powder destination IMHO.

4) Rossland/Nelson 400 inches Whitewater, 300 Red Mt. Red's terrain is sick (long steep tree runs) but you need a lot of fresh snow to ski it in powder, and 300 isn't quite enough. Whitewater is very good though in-bounds acreage is still not huge. Combined they might make the top 10, but not the top 5 IMHO.

5) Bellingham:. #1 lift served snowfall in the world at Baker, not sure how busy it might be on weekends, but midweek with somewhat difficult access it probably deserves a top 5 rating. Terrain is good quality but short fall lines and not that big inbounds acreage.

6) Telluride: I'm guessing they are including Silverton here, otherwise 278 inches of Colorado fluff in a lift served area doesn't cut it for me. I'll again state that I believe Silverton is best compared to snowcat rather that lift served skiing due to being guided for a low number of high quality runs per day rarely exceeding 10K vertical.

7) Seattle: Agree completely, Crystal (including huge sidecountry) + Alpental + Stevens, all at ~400 inches. Presumably midweek vs. weekends is key here.

8 ) Girdwood (Alyeska): Agree, lots of snow, low skier visits, medium acreage, good quality terrain on North Face.

9) Bend: Tough call, as I know the area very well but have not had a powder day there. Positives are large acreage, low density and decent snowfall. The big negative is wind that closes half the mountain in storms. When you finally get up to the Summit it may be windpack instead of powder anyway as I know from Mammoth. The vast tree skiing off Northwest might make Bachelor a good powder bet though.

10) Durango: Must be counting Silverton and Wolf Creek. Wolf Creek is 2 hours away and it rates very high except for modest acreage.

11) Teton Valley: I would rate higher. Targhee is one of the best. Jackson may be a feeding frenzy of hotshots but the lift/terrain layout assures at least a few long and very high quality powder runs on the first day for visitors like me.

12) Sandpoint. About right. Snowfall is only ~300 but the mountain is expansive and it's not competitive midweek as I saw in person last season.

13) Whitefish. Very similar in most respects to Schweitzer.

14) Santa Fe and Taos: Not enough snow at either to get on a list like this, particularly since trees are very tight until you get to highest elevations. You can get a few deeper powder runs hiking above the lifts at Taos.

15) Fernie. Similar climate to Schweitzer and Whitefish but more snow, so should rate a notch higher. A lot higher if you include Castle Mt, 1 1/2 hours away.

16) Salt Lake: Brighton/Solitude surely rates very high. Alta/Snowbird is top 10 even with the competition since the combination of snow/terrain is #1 in anybody's book. Having all 4 resorts in proximity should raise the rating even more, because you get to choose which area to ski at the last minute depending on how much snow there was and what crowd expectations are. When you consider that Snowbasin is one hour away and Powder Mt. 1 1/2 hours it's hard to argue against Salt Lake as #1 overall with that many options for powder. If it's really all about snowfall, acreage and low skier visits, It's very hard to see how a formula could possibly rate Salt Lake this low.

17) Whistler: Very high for acreage and snow, knocked down for skier visits but still belongs on this kind of list somewhere.

18) Park City: Some of the acreage is too flat, the lower half of the elevation range gets under 250 inches. Maybe a bump up for low skier density because there are 6 other areas in the region better for powder.

19) Mammoth: In general people overrate their home areas due to the intimate knowledge of terrain layout, chair openings on new snow days etc. By the 3 criteria here this rating is about right but I would drop it some because of chronic wind effect on most of the steeps.

20) Government Camp (Portland/Mt. Hood). Probably about right. Lots of snow but terrain is not anywhere as good as what's available from Seattle.

21) Crested Butte: No way. Super steep terrain that gets 6+ inches of new low water content snow in only 10% of days (250 inches annually) and probably needs 3x that much to avoid bottoming out means true powder skiing happens once in a blue moon.

22) Truckee (North Tahoe): Presumably you get a choice of Sugar Bowl, Squaw, Alpine, Northstar, Mt. Rose, Homewood. As with Salt Lake the choice of multiple areas is being seriously devalued in this example. Lots of terrain, 300-450 inches snowfall, and yes it can be a madhouse on the weekends, but the latter 2 areas tend to be more off the radar.

23) Aspen. Snowfall is only a bit more than Crested Butte but there's vastly more terrain extent and variety. Enough terrain that skier traffic is lower than many people expect. Still a borderline call due to the snowfall.

24) Ketchum (Sun Valley) 194 inches, 8.5% of days with 6+, sorry.

25) Steamboat. Another head scratcher. Highest major resort snowfall in Colorado at 378 inches. Also more acreage than Crested Butte or Sun Valley, so it's truly bizarre to see it rated lower. Steamboat should also score some subjective points for its trees. It has to be the skier visits knocking down the rating, but the bottom line is that you have to get a certain amount of snow to get into the discussion, then we can analyze the other issues.

26) Summit County/Vail: No question getting penalized severely for the skier visit numbers. Those numbers plus under 300 inches in Summit County are not attractive for powder. Vail/Beaver Creek are 362/333 inches so deserve to be on a list like this considering the massive acreage at Vail and less competition at Beaver Creek. And if you're there you get to choose which one based upon expected crowds.and snow.

Any obvious omissions? South Tahoe (Heavenly/Sierra/Kirkwood) if it's not included with Truckee. Other western Canada? The Okanagan and the areas east of Revelstoke (Kicking Horse, Sunshine, etc.) everyone is under 300 inches, but that didn't keep several U.S. areas off this list. My view is you don't get on a list like this if you're under 300 inches, period, because that translates into just too few days with 6+ inches new snow. FYI Jay and Stowe/Smuggs make the 300 inch cut, though I'm sure there would be some discussions about acreage and skier density.

Here's my subjective reordering of that list:

1) Salt Lake/Ogden: Drive distances are such to consider it one destination

2) Targhee/Jackson: If it's truly a learn to ski powder trip, stay on the Targhee side and pick your spots for Jackson.

3) Bellingham (Mt. Baker)

4) Fernie/Castle

5) Girdwood (Alyeska)

6) Seattle (Crystal/Stevens/Alpental)

7) Rossland/Nelson

8 ) Sandpoint (Schweitzer)

9) Whitefish

10) Truckee (North Tahoe)

11) Whistler

12) Steamboat

13) Vail/Beaver Creek

14) South Tahoe

15) Revelstoke/Kicking Horse

16) Bend (Bachelor)

17) Park City

18) Mammoth

19) Government Camp (Portland/Mt. Hood)

20) Winter Park/Mary Jane: Omitted from Powder list presumably due to high skier visits, but should be listed in view of snowfall and Mary Jane terrain.

21) Bozeman (borderline on the 300 inches, but very low density on steep powder terrain is unusual)

22) Durango (only because of Wolf Creek, maybe some credit for Silverton too, but 2 hours is the longest drive distance on this list)

23) Burlington (right on the 300 inch cutoff, plus for the choice of multiple areas, minus for small acreage relative to most of the western places on the list and for competition for that acreage)

24) Aspen (bending the 300 inch rule due to primo slackcountry like Hanging Valley and Highlands Bowl)

Others on Powder's list shouldn't be there IMHO. Niseko in January/early February may be better than any of these and would certainly rate no lower than #3.

italics for the late additions based upon reader feedback

I don't know how Burlington, VT gets left off the list. Access to four areas in under 90 minutes (3 of them in 45 mins) with 300" plus, and another two (SB/MRG) with over 250" within an hour. Crowds at Smuggs are pretty much non-existent. Pretty sparse at Stowe given the amount of accessible terrain. Minimal at MRG once you're out of the lift line b/c of low capacity.

EC gets a bad rap for powder b/c it doesn't play well for destination skiers who book far in advance, so they take their chances with the weather. If you are talking about ski towns, where you would presumably live and therefore have far more flexibility on when/where you ski, then no serious list can exclude BTV. Anyone arguing otherwise simply isn't familiar with the facts.

Tony Crocker":2x0lunif said:
I analyzed that Powder magazine list on another Forum:
Tony,

Thanks for weighing in. As usual, you give lots of stats balanced with personal experience in formulating your analysis.

Mike Bernstein":1baxhso7 said:
I don't know how Burlington, VT gets left off the list. Access to four areas in under 90 minutes (3 of them in 45 mins) with 300" plus, and another two (SB/MRG) with over 250" within an hour. Crowds at Smuggs are pretty much non-existent. Pretty sparse at Stowe given the amount of accessible terrain. Minimal at MRG once you're out of the lift line b/c of low capacity.

EC gets a bad rap for powder b/c it doesn't play well for destination skiers who book far in advance, so they take their chances with the weather. If you are talking about ski towns, where you would presumably live and therefore have far more flexibility on when/where you ski, then no serious list can exclude BTV. Anyone arguing otherwise simply isn't familiar with the facts.

I agree with Mike. No way should BTV be left off that list. Living in Williston and being able to take a vacation day anytime the forecast was for 6"+ scored me more pow more often than anywhere else I lived.

Burlington/jay peak is on the list at number 27. Could you really place it ahead of vail,steamboat,south tahoe? I don't think so. The other issue is that powder used skiable acreage as the number one component. You are talking like 500 max acre for those big east resorts with good snow. For example Park City has ~10000 combined.

Tony, thanks for the expert analysis on the Powder Magazine list; I definitely thought of you when I was reading it, so it’s nice to read your thoughts.

TRam":e7depi0t said:
Burlington/jay peak is on the list at number 27. Could you really place it ahead of vail,steamboat,south tahoe? I don't think so. The other issue is that powder used skiable acreage as the number one component. You are talking like 500 max acre for those big east resorts with good snow. For example Park City has ~10000 combined.

I figured I’d comment on this topic since we’ve talked about it extensively on the forum in the past; the low acreage numbers for the Vermont resorts are really just a function of their traditional reporting method. A number of ski areas around here, such as Mad River Glen, Sugarbush, and Smuggler’s Notch have reported their boundary to boundary acreage, but for whatever reason (perhaps to keep lawyers or other resorts in the region without boundary to boundary skiing happy) they only report acres of marked runs in their official stats. Some of the actual acreage numbers can be found in the link above, but I think the extensive Big Mountain/Whitefish Resort tree skiing analysis from that thread really speaks to the fact that the Northern Vermont resorts are simply leaving out the majority of their terrain that would typically be reported in total acreage. With Bolton, Stowe, Smugg’s, and Jay Peak, you’ve got four resorts with 300"+ snowfall and roughly 6,000 total acres of lift-served terrain, all 75 minutes or less from Burlington. That acreage number will also get a bump when Jay Peak puts in its West Bowl expansion. There’s no way that Burlington (or the town of Stowe, which would substantially reduce the drive distance to the four resorts) is going to top the list with the heavyweights that are on there, but it would obviously move upward using Tony’s 300" snowfall cutoff. I could even see Burlington working its way above some of the other selections on Tony’s revised list, simply because of the amount of acreage and variety of resorts available. Although the Central Vermont Ski Areas don’t quite make the 300" snowfall cut, like Mike suggested, there should probably be some ancillary benefit for having an additional 7,000 – 8,000 acres (my best guess off the cuff) of lift served terrain within 90 minutes if you draw the line at Killington/Pico. Beyond just the extra everyday skiing options, there’s something to be said for having all that additional acreage close by in the Central Greens for when the occasional storm misses the Northern Greens (such as last October). Tony mentioned the potential for discussion about acreage and skier density, and I’d certainly argue that it keeps the Vermont resorts artificially low in the assessment due to the way they report their acreage. Ironically on that front, one could contend that there’s actually an additional enhancement in the powder skiing experience due to the nature of the tree skiing that typifies the Vermont resorts – due to the more secluded settings of many of the off piste terrain areas, visitors can’t just spot the terrain from lift and head right to it. Although you can generally find some decent skiing in most off piste areas between the trails if you’re willing to commit, one still has to dive in and do some exploring if they’re not familiar with the area, and they also have to have the skills to match the terrain. Although they’re not positive factors for uninitiated resort visitors, from the locals’ point of view these factors actually help to limit the number of skiers tracking up the off piste powder.

In that Epic thread I did put in my 2 cents about Vermont in a couple of places:

Quote from another poster:
It all starts with SNOW, and no EC place is getting it. That 3’ pow day you had must have been a great time, but that’s an absolute rarity, while its just another weekend storm at Grand Targhee, Solitude, or Wolf Creek.
TC":6uc7ap5d said:
Incomplete truth here. If you get 200 inches or less a year [someone was touting Magic] the number of days with 6 or more inches is miniscule. Even if your area isn't crowded, you're going to be hitting bottom on those 3 inch storms. But northern Vermont (Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs/Jay) get 300, which is in the ballpark with most western areas, and with fairly low water content. See graphs at the bottom of this page http://173.193.223.192/~bestsnow/snoqlnet.htm#graphs .

Quote from a different poster:
lot of trees and open terrain helps keep pow around over resorts sliced into trails.
This is the more serious flaw in the East. Once again that Vermont group (including Mad River and Sugarbush with somewhat lower snowfall) has tree skiing, where most of the powder is. I've seen plenty of mouth-watering reports from the Vermont locals, which is what motivated me to collect that water content data from Mt. Mansfield. But realistically very few of your typical NYC/Boston skiers will have the opportunity to get much of that powder before those Vermont locals have shredded it.

Later in the thread in discussion about ski area size.
Acreage is not always calculated consistently. Eastern numbers look tiny because it's usually only trail acreage. But when the trees are skiable to some extent and not counted an adjustment is needed. The published 485 acres for Stowe is IMHO a massive understatement. One of the Vermont snow geeks loaded a Google Map and calculated that boundary to boundary Stowe had 2,500 acres. IMHO Stowe doesn't ski like a 2,500 acre western area, but I do think it skis like a 1,500 acre western area. These are the kind of subjective judgments that the "panel" would go through to compile a consistent database of ski area extent.

I didn't interpret the Powder magazine listing as being sequential between the eastern and western areas. On my revised list where would Burlington fit? In other regions I took a fairly expansive view of multiple areas within drive radius, so I think it's fair to count Jay, Smuggs, Stowe, Bolton, Mad River and Sugarbush for Burlington. On my list all of the top 19 exceed Burlington fairly substantially on at least one and often two of the 3 key criteria. I'd be interested in JSpin's take on Bozeman vs. Burlington as that looks like one of the "close call" comparisons to me and presumably he has a decent sense of Big Sky/Moonlight/Bridger from his time in Montana. Durango's terrain variety is less than Vermont's, though Wolf Creek is both high on snow and low on competition. Aspen gets less snow than northern Vermont but there's a lot of terrain and the most powder worthy of it is not that intensely skied by the typical visitor to Aspen. My sense is that from a strictly powder perspective Burlington is in the ballpark with those 3 western ski towns and ahead of the ones on Powder's list that I rejected (Telluride, Crested Butte, Taos/Santa Fe, Sun Valley, Summit County CO).

Speaking of the original subject, Powder Mountain picked up 18" today and Snowbasin 15".

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk 2

Admin":2f002f6r said:
Speaking of the original subject, Powder Mountain picked up 18" today and Snowbasin 15".

Pow Mow's up to 30" as of this a.m. with more tonight, and mbaydala got after it:

418153_4788348986564_1986325046_n.jpg

Back