Peek'N Peak 1/22 - 1/23

Ryan

I saw something this weekend that I never thought I would see.
I got to ski in knee deep untracked power in the wooks at Peek'N Peak in western NY. For anyone who has skied this far south/east of the rest of the eastern world you will realize what an amazing thing this is. Conditions were fantastic and thick with pow over the entire place. The half pipe and terrain park are now open and better built than we have ever had. Grooming was well managed where it was done. Everything that should be bumps was left to it's own devices and with that much snow you can easily imagine what happened. Overall Fantastic is all that I have to say. No ice, no chunks, no bare, all snow.

Me too, used to drive out from hometown Cleveland all the time, going back to my first time skiing on a Boy Scout outing ca. 68. I haven't been back there in almost 30 years. Would be fun to see some pix if you're so inclined!

Holy crap... Someone from Findley lake! I grew up in Meadville. Here is one for you. Do you know of Wilderness Lodge, the X/C skiing place over the hill from the Peak? That is my family business. I've been there every winter weekend of my life it seems.

CD. I'm sure I can grab some pics of the good Ol' peak this weekend. Perhaps even some vids as that is usually what I shoot.

That'd be fun to see. Of course, the PnP I knew is probably just a small section of the current area. The trails I remember best were Longbow and Crossbow, "expert" slopes tho like most youthful sites they'd likely seem pretty puny now. We used to run serious laps on those and some other ones right in front of the lodge (which is probably different now too). My first run ever was on Little Johns Jaunt- no instruction no nuthin, just rode the J-Bar up and headed down- didn't even fall! I remember that lift tix were about $7 and the rental stuff was lace-up boots, Fischer wood skis and Cubco bindings. The main lifts were side-by-side T-Bars though near the end of my time they'd added chairlifts on (what was then) the far left and right sides of the area.

Wow there have been a lot of changes since then. We added 8 or so new trails to the right of Alan-a-Dale and 2 tripple chairs.
The main lift is now serviced by 2 tripples as well. Crossbow and longbow are sill there but they added Catapult in between them and put a couple of small terrain features on it. Rentals equip is all new in the last 16 months with Rossi and Head gear. Lift ticket prices have gone up a bit. They are doing a very good job with snowmaking now so the base is deep. Wisp is alright this year as the blew in some decent rollers on the top half and the bottom right is being allowed to bump up.
Brad Gravick (general mgr.) also went out and bough a new groomer this year specifically becuase it could build bigger and nastier terrain features so we finally have a good sized table with more on the way. The verticle is still the same of course so no it is not a very challenging hill. It is however still a great place to learn to ski and thus a great place to teach at.

Ah, I see now after visiting the website/trailmap. So you've replaced the side-by-side T-bars with a lift that is actually 2 seperate triple chairlifts hung off one row of monster towers?? Have never seen one of those- now *there's* some serious uphill capacity! So since it's no longer a surface lift the wide run underneath is now Long Bow. In the old days Long Bow was to skiers right of the (then Tbar) liftline and thinner (more like Cross Bow). Looks like the bottom of the old Long Bow is now called Ox Bow or maybe Quarterstaff as neither name is familiar. Is there still a little picnic area off to the side of Cross Box, about halfway down on skiers right?

Back