Peek'n Peak Opens Tomorrow

Ryan

WooHa the Peak opens tomorrow. I just checked their website. They are currently blowing and in the last 48 hours they have had 20+ inches of POWDER! 20..... I would like to mention again that this is south-west New York. that much powder this early in the season is sick. unfortunately it will all get packed in before anyone gets there when they open.

Enjoy Peek n Peak's whopping 400' vertical!! Too bad the hills in the lake effect zone are so low. It's also like that east of Lake Ontario, but at least Snow Ridge has 700' vertical. I guess when you are in western NY, you ski whatever slope has the powder.

I just realized, there's more vertical drop and skiable acres in my backyard here in central ny, however, I don't have the amount of powder that falls just east of the lakes, nor to I have a chairlift...but I do have climbing skins.

Send some of your pow pow our way. We have about 5" but with the warm ground underneath it just isn't enough to ski yet.

I have to move. And stating the Peak at 400ft may be a bit tall. I had an altimeter on it a couple of years ago and found it to be closer to 375. That is scary small. However we ski what we have. Skiing at a small place like this forces you to really work on fine tuning technique just to have something to do. I found it to be really helpful when I travel to larger places because you can really work out the mechanics on a little place.

However we ski what we have. Skiing at a small place like this forces you to really work on fine tuning technique just to have something to do. I found it to be really helpful when I travel to larger places because you can really work out the mechanics on a little place.

I hear that! I don't live near any big hills either, unless you call Greek Peak a big hill, and it is about 900' vertical, however the trails we ski are not more than 750' vertical. I too have fine tuned my technique in central NY basically because that's all there is to do. I even got into racing and telemark skiing for the same reason. I tried snowboarding, but body slamming an icy slope at my age I've found to be not good for my health and gave it up in favor of telemark skiing. At these small ski areas, one of the goals is to make as many turns as possible from top to bottom, as that is the only way to get a work-out. Making 11s down the trail in record time is fun for some, but hardly worth the time spent on the lift, and not much gained. I've learned a lot about carving turns in our 20-30 second race course on weds nights. You just gotta make the most of what you have, and when you get a chance, get outta dodge and hit the real mountains.

Right there is the core of it. Work out and learn where you can and then step out to someplace cool to have some fun. I am having a large debate with myself this season. Should I spend a bunch of time $$$ and effort trying to learn how to freeride/park on some twin tips or should I start tele instead. I can't really say that I have anyone to teach me either so I'm not sure which way to go.

Sharon, if I bring a truckload of snow and a shovel can I ski in your back yard? I'm from the Peek too and though we are on a glorified bunny hill I still have a good time skiing there. My favorite things to do on our hill are woods skiing, (and no, we do not have any woods runs there. They all have to be poached) jumping and, like you said, make as many turns as possible.

Oh yeah, I also love going in the woods and building huge kickers. Unfortunately the only people that do that are the snowboard instructors. Someday I may get another skier out there with us though.

we've also developed some really nice woods skiing at Greek Peak. It is not 'legal' terrain, but it is really nice when there's good snow, like last season. Sometimes we ski it at night, with only the ambient light from the trails casting shadows through the trees. Kinda creepy, yet exciting. Keeps the adrenaline pumping and makes a mountain out of a molehill.

when there are geographic and topographic limitations to your ski area, there are still plenty of ways to make it more fun and interesting if you can think outside of the box

Actually as of mid season last year our woods at Peek N' Peak are fair game. There was a ruling made by management that although there would be no publishing of it, there would be no more busting people for skiing in the woods. No pass clipping, no yelling, and we are even allowed to take classes through if the class is strong enough.

Back