Powder MTN/Snowbasin advice please

crippitylip

Hello Utah experts out there. I would love some sound advice on a trip i have coming up next month. Me and two buddies are coming out for 4 days and planning on doing 2 days at snowbasin and 2 days at powder. My real question/concern is where is most logical to stay? Ogden? How far of a drive from Ogden to both places? Huntsville? We will be looking for cheep lodging and like to have a few bars to get a burger/beers at close by. That is about it in terms of requirements :-D Thank you so much! John

There's just too much good stuff going on in downtown Ogden to rule it out. They finally have a WING bar down there! Snowbasin is about 25 mins, Powder about 35. The Marriot is probably the nicest, and within walking distance of 25th street and Salomon Center attractions. We've had bad experiences with food in the upper Ogden Valley. It can be hit or miss with high prices/poor quality/small quantity. The main exception is the Shooting Star's star burger and Atmosphere. Besides that, I'd eat in Ogden. Besides wings, Timbermine and Prarie Schooner steakhouses can't be beat.

I've skied at both from SLC and from Ogden. Personally I base myself in SLC and drive now rather than spend time moving between motels and gives me the daily choice of where to ski.

I stayed in the Ogden Motel 6 which was cheaper back then but showing as ~$30 before tax this year. I found the rooms on both visits to be clean and comfortable and more than met my needs as a single traveller. It is certainly cheap.

It is not a long drive to either mountain from Ogden but watch out for police in Eden as they always seem to be kicking about.

crippitylip":157vyasw said:
Me and two buddies are coming out for 4 days and planning on doing 2 days at snowbasin and 2 days at powder. My real question/concern is where is most logical to stay?
As Tony, me, Admin, et al have said time and again regarding UT skiing, if there's no specific reason to pre-select resorts (eg: free place to stay, family/friends at a specific resort, etc), then stay in SLC for utmost flexibility and let conditions at the time you are here dictate where to go.

Understood and that makes the most sense but i have been to Snowbird, Brigthon, Solitude, Canyons, PCMR (cant go to deer valley, alta) and want to check out Snowbasin and powder. Conditions albeit this might sound crazy are not the main factor. I love going to new resorts and both of these two seem like they would be awesome for a 4 day trip. Appreciate the other advice as well. Doesnt seem like the drive from ogden is too long then, that would seem to make the most sense. The marriott looks very nice with some sweet deals, cant beat the price on the motel 6. need to figure my two buddies spending limit and go from there. Thanks!!

Or you can stay at a condo/house in Eden. The drive to Powder Mtn would be like 5-10mins. Snowbasin, maybe around 30. There's not much in terms of bars and restaurants tho.

SoCalBoarder":gz8tobwx said:
Or you can stay at a condo/house in Eden. The drive to Powder Mtn would be like 5-10mins. Snowbasin, maybe around 30. There's not much in terms of bars and restaurants tho.

If you go this route check out VRBO.com or craigslist for some good deals. You might be able to get a great deal last minute. I booked a 3br/3ba condo right at the mouth of LCC for $675 for 3 nights including tax and no cleaning fee. It was actually cheaper than staying in a cheap hotel and we save a bunch of cash by having a kitchen and bringing lunch/water/etc to the mountain.

Back