predictions look good

i back up what mike said. everyone thinks that the skiing didn't get good till valentines day of 07'. i was at saddleback during that mlk weekend while everyone else was getting a mix at best, saddleback picked up a solid foot of fresh on a go anywhere base in the woods. 5 days later i was at stowe for the weekend and it snowed 18" and all was good to go, 5 days later, 10" at burke.......all before valentines day. so the second half of the season being epic was actually more like 2/3rd-3/4th of the season and lets not forget sugarloaf getting 108 inches that april. i left pouring rain at stowe on april 15th and drove to the loaf where it was dumping and wouldn't quit.

2007 was unreal.

rog

icelanticskier":1do5893s said:
i back up what mike said. everyone thinks that the skiing didn't get good till valentines day of 07'.

I didn't say the skiing wasn't good before then.

Here is a TR from MRG at the end of January:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2732

Let me rephrase that, it's starting with Valentine Day storm that the season started to become Epic.

i left pouring rain at stowe on april 15th and drove to the loaf where it was dumping and wouldn't quit.

Whiteface was real good, the driving back home to Ottawa was...a challenge.

What a wonderful Sunday it was. Another April Powder Day, who would have though that we would get two Powder weekends in a row after that very Spring like April Fools. Yes, it fooled us all right.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3155

2007 was unreal.

For sure!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ A year that I'll always remember. :mrgreen:

Patrick":x8dxdvsp said:
icelanticskier":x8dxdvsp said:
i back up what mike said. everyone thinks that the skiing didn't get good till valentines day of 07'.

Let me rephrase that, it's starting with Valentine Day storm that the season started to become Epic.
I think that nails it.

On the Spine, it was good in spurts if you hit it right but mostly lousy through MLK weekend. Then it was good starting a week after that, very good by the first weekend in Feb, and epic for the rest of the season.

While I certainly follow Henry Margusity's columns on accuweather.com, I find that most of the meterologists over there have a propensity to overpredict Eastern cold/snowstorms in the Winter, and hurricane activity in the Atlantic in the Summer.

If I were cynical :-s I'd say that they play to their "base", which is the major Eastern US metropolitan markets - especially the Northeast. If the weather is mild & dry, there's less of a need to regularly check out weather sites like accuweather.com.

I think that phenomenon is referred to as "wishcasting". :oops:

So true, ssz. I read Accuweather every day and most of the meteorologists there (esp. Henry M.) LOVE to hype potential east coast snowstorms. It's amazing how often they turn out to be wrong. However, I'm sure it does enhance the number of people going to the site. And I find local TV stations to be just as bad - hyping potential snowstorms makes people tune in to the forecasts. I hate to be cynical, but you do have to wonder.

TYPICAL LOCAL NEWS WINTER WEATHER SCRIPT:

BRAD: GET READY FOR WHAT MIGHT BE THE STORM OF THE CENTURY. MORE INFORMATION IN 27 MINUTES.

27 MINUTES LATER.....

BRAD: WE'RE TRACKING THIS ONE CLOSELY. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS POTENTIAL BLIZZARD AT 11 O'CLOCK.

:bs:

Bluebird Day":g1etf5te said:
TYPICAL LOCAL NEWS WINTER WEATHER SCRIPT:

BRAD: GET READY FOR WHAT MIGHT BE THE STORM OF THE CENTURY. MORE INFORMATION IN 27 MINUTES.

27 MINUTES LATER.....

BRAD: WE'RE TRACKING THIS ONE CLOSELY. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS POTENTIAL BLIZZARD AT 11 O'CLOCK.

:bs:
"What you might have in your house right now that can kill you. Story at 10."

sszycher":1es2943j said:
While I certainly follow Henry Margusity's columns on accuweather.com, I find that most of the meterologists over there have a propensity to overpredict Eastern cold/snowstorms in the Winter, and hurricane activity in the Atlantic in the Summer.

If I were cynical :-s I'd say that they play to their "base", which is the major Eastern US metropolitan markets - especially the Northeast. If the weather is mild & dry, there's less of a need to regularly check out weather sites like accuweather.com.

I think that phenomenon is referred to as "wishcasting". :oops:

Absolute 100% fact in my mind.

To take the existing data in July and predict this for winter 09/10 is hilarious. It's from Joe B not Henry but whatever.

Just the same...I read that stuff and hope mother nature delivers half of what they are predicting.

I didn't follow accuweather in 2007... it would have been hilarious to see Henry's call on all those huge dumps. His brain was probably exploding.

This prediction seems pretty good:
winter powder forecast t-shirt.jpeg

Conditions are already looking good. Snow showers in the ADK'S today above 3500 ' as temps running below normal .

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,844
rfarren":2jfwzgxu said:
That shirt is way off... Chicago Pizza stinks!
It's OK as long as you're not foolish enough to think it's pizza. It's a pleasant enough tomato and cheese concoction with some meat or veggies in it with some dough on the bottom. But pizza? Please.

Marc_C":15oi62cs said:
rfarren":15oi62cs said:
That shirt is way off... Chicago Pizza stinks!
It's OK as long as you're not foolish enough to think it's pizza. It's a pleasant enough tomato and cheese concoction with some meat or veggies in it with some dough on the bottom. But pizza? Please.

They should call it pan fried tomato soup with cheese on top. This is amazing Marc C and I are in agreement.

I remember the first time I went to chicago and I ordered a pizza, I ordered a medium thinking it would be like a NY style, and therefore I could finish it. Boy was I wrong. That was my first lesson as to why midwesterners were quite heftier than the standard New Yorker.

Back