SKIP WORK--SKI BURKE! 12/12

icelanticskier

WOW!
a conservative 4" report was more like 6"+ all snow with no warming in the northeast kingdom today.
in typical burke style, no crowds-one full chair to 10 chairs empty all day long, beautiful spongecake pow on everything, great cover in the woods, untracked runs all day. i did snag first chair but, it didn't matter. what a great place but, you know, jay's better-ha!
more on the way
rog

I'm going to go waaaay out a limb here and suggest that, if one wanted to (i.e. hit the trees once the trails are tracked out - still not sure how much terrain will officially be open), one could ski fresh pow on every run this Sunday at Burke.

sszycher":3flgh9fc said:
I'm going to go waaaay out a limb here and suggest that, if one wanted to (i.e. hit the trees once the trails are tracked out - still not sure how much terrain will officially be open), one could ski fresh pow on every run this Sunday at Burke.
Maybe once it starts snowing. C'mon, I love Burke and highly recommend it but untracked every run on a SUNDAY following a big storm? Not a chance. Not on the map trails any ways. Burke is good and uncrowded, but it isn't THAT good or else I would have my season pass there.

sszycher":obay3ozg said:

It depends on how hard it is snowing on Sunday. If it is snowing so hard that the tracks you left on the last run are filled in... does that count as untracked fresh pow? :)
I know there won't be nearly as much competion for that powder as many other mtns. Additionally, the 3-4" we picked up today along with whatever we get Saturday night should open up Birches, Jungle, and other off the map stuff. If it is anything like last weekend you'll be lucky to see another person in the woods with you. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if Burke gets 6 inches Saturday night they will be 100% open on Sunday.

ya, weekend crowds at burke are still weekend crowds but, still less crowded on many weekends than jay or stowe on a mid-week day. don't be suprised if the weekend warriors don't ski the crap out of the woods right away and leave the trails with many complete untracked slots, especially the edges. mid-week it's the other way around cuz the 5-7 retiries that i share the slopes with like the groomers (burke dosen't groom many slopes thank god) if it snows more than 4 inches, they don't show up at all so i'll ski a run, go back up and ski next to my tracks from that run and so on. wednesday was classic-i'd get 1st tracks in one glade, go back the next run and if it had another track in it it was one track too many and i'd move on to the next untracked run-skied a couple of stashes justs for yucks. schools were out wed cuz of the snow and i still skied untracked all day and that's just not possible at jay after 10 am on most mid week days unless it's puking 2 inches an hour which in my opinion is the best time to ski jay and the only time to ski jay. jays great but, it's like uggs and denali jackets-it's the in thing and everybody wants one.
rog

Maybe I'm overestimating the tree skiing acreage at Burke...my statement was based on a willingness to be in the trees most of the day and not skiing the same line 2x.

Still, Sundays in December (pre-holiday) are not like Sundays mid-Winter. Folks are just too busy spending their $$ on Chinese-made toys dipped in sulfuric acid or whatever.

all i'm tryin to say is, now that the woods have been skied in, more folks will enter and track out quickly on weekend. ya you'll get untracked snow for sure but, don't overlook certain trails and edges of trails that might provide the best ride. burke, to me, skis best when you ski many combos of shots from top to bottom. fortunately for you it will probably be snowing so hard sunday that every run will be fresh all day-nothing beats that to me anywhere. i'd rather ski mount wachusett while puking 2" per hour than anywhere ona bluebird day with a foot of fresh getting tracked out faster than a blink but, it's all about the ride underfoot and the clean canvas to me than the terrain or the name. once it's tracked i'm not goin back. so when your out there sunday and i'm stuck at work (i designed my schedule and life to only ski mid-week) and i'm missin it think of me sweatin it and make a few round ones for me-thanx. or maybe the storm will slow down and not hit hard till sunday night, time to get out the voodoo again.
have fun
rog

I completely agree with icelanticskier that it is all about the untracked. Once a run is toast, it is time to look else where. My biggest point is that Burke does track out on a weekend. Maybe nto as quick as Jay, but it does happen before noon for most stuff. I know Jay well enough to be getting untracked most of the day, I know Burke pretty well enough too to do the same. So I generally take the mountain with more untracked to go around. I like Burke when it is over looked, Sunday might be one of those days. Last year I hit Burke around the V Day blizzard and got untracked refills because it was puking all day. That was mid-week when most people couldn't even take advantage of a "sick" day because it was snowing so bad. This storm is a weekend storm and people have plenty of notice to get up before the snow starts. I would expect enough competition at Burke that it will go quickly on Saturday. Sunday with refills is a good option. On my radar as well, depends how much more Jay will get, which I suspect will be a lot more. I do enjoy foot deep untracked for three hours versus half foot deep untracked for four.

Back