SLC, 2/7/2013-2/11/2013

baldyskier

20130207 Deer Valley via Quick Start:

My friend and I decided to take the advice of this forum and start at Deer Valley. We enjoyed it. It was sunny, but cool and windy. The groomers were decent, though a little hard. I eventually got to some powder in the trees. I was surprised that it was still soft; my poles would go down about 27" or so before hitting the previous base. The trees were a little tight relative to the steepness on some runs, or at least were a challenge for my level of ability using 192 cm long Black Diamond Zealots. I was very happy to find powder, though, especially more than a week after the most recent storm.

20130208 Park City

My first time at Park City, and I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. We worked our way from skier's right side of the resort toward skier's left. We didn't quite make it to Jupiter Bowl, but I had fun skiing in the trees near that area (Jupiter Access and the trees near Double Jack).

20130209 Powder Mountain

Powder Mountain has never let me down, and this time was no exception. That place is so big that the powder really lasts. They had gotten a few inches of new snow and more fell during the day, but most of the powder was leftover from about 10 days earlier. Powder Country was closed (they said it had been too long since the last storm), and the Poma lift was down, but I still found good powder in the trees off Timberline lift.

I also took the cat up for one run. It was decent, with plenty of powder, but I there is quite a runout at the end. On my next run, I traversed a ways off skier's right of the top of Paradise lift and found similar powder (though not as steep). The pillowy goodness went on for a long time on that run.

We had to wait in the lodge for over an hour at the end of the day. It was snowing quite hard, and there were so many accidents on the road below that it was closed until they could clear out the cars and plow and sand the road. We got home without incident once they opened the road back up.

20130211 Snow Basin

We had bought discounted tickets for Snow Basin a few days earlier, so that was the choice for our final day. Unfortunately, SB nearly got skunked by last weekend's storm, picking up only about 3-4 inches, total. That wasn't enough to cover the set up snow. Finding leftover powder was a lot more difficult at Snow Basin. No Name was nice, although the lower part of the run was rather hard and it got to be tedious navigating the hard packed moguls.

It was a beautiful day, though, and lunch at John Paul Lodge was tasty and relaxing. Snow Basin is really a special place. It would have been even more so had they gotten the foot of snow that most of the rest of the local areas got from this storm.

Overall this was another great SLC trip, especially considering how long it had been since a significant storm. I'll try to post some pictures later.

Back