Snowbird, UT 3/13-14/2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Both of these days were sunny and fairly warm like Monday. About 60% of the mountain remained packed powder.

Thursday 3/13
After the previous 2 days nobody at Iron Blosam got out bright and early. Liz and I started up the tram with Stefan, Dominic , 2 of his kids and 2 of their friends. First was Upper Silver Fox. Just below it some followed me around the skier’s left traverse to these bowls.
IMG_5960.JPG

Liam and Nick chose a variation with a little air.
IMG_5962.JPG

We then went through Green Forest on the way to Gadzoom. We skied Rasta and the trees left of Black Forest on the way into Gad 2. Next up was Tigertail, where most of skied to the Baby Thunder road, but Liz went right instead of left partway down, skied through trees and got to Gadzoom ahead of us because one of Dom’s kids Matt got too low and had to take the Baby Thunder chair.

Liz loaded Gadzoom just as most of us arrived, and while waiting for Matt, Andy Jorgensen and guest Andrea showed up. They went up Gadzoom and skied with Liz for the next 2+ hours. They skied Rasta, some Gad 2 trees and bumps, 3 runs in Mineral Basin and finished with South Chute.

Meanwhile I skied to the plaza for a quick bite while Dom and the rest went to mid-Gad. I tried to locate Liz, a difficult task with ATT phone service and her being in Mineral much of the time. On the tram deck at 1:30 I ran into Allene, a local lady with whom I had skied 3 times at Chatter Creek snowcat and who gave Richard and me the tour of the Draper LDS Temple just before it opened in 2009. We went up the tram with Bill, a local friend of hers, and for 2 of our tram laps were joined by another friend Bev.

The usual plan for these locals is to come up for a few hours and do tram laps, usually something in the Upper Cirque, then bomb groomers in lower Peruvian Gulch. Great Scott was the run of choice this afternoon, as its snow was smooth and the traverse in over the top of Jaws had been filled in by the recent storm. Bill dropping in from the traverse.
IMG_5968.JPG

Allene skiing Great Scott
IMG_5971.JPG

We did 2 quick laps, at least once reloading the same tram. From the 3rd tram Bill led a fast mid-Cirque traverse (reminiscent of chasing admin out the High T), eventually getting to the top of Lone Pine. Snow there was still partially crunchy ~3PM so we cut back to skier’s left of South Chute, which still had winter snow, though not entirely smooth. The final tram was another Great Scott to the occasionally groomed lower Primrose. I bailed at 3:30PM, with my “recovery day” after Tuesday and Wednesday’s powder being 22,900 vertical.

Friday 3/14
I skied the morning with our younger Iron Blosam group, plus John and Mike whom they met in the pool the day before. We started with a mid-Cirque, then to Peruvian into Mineral. It was a bit early so we went back to Little Cloud for 3 Rastas with tree variations. Adam takes to the air out of one of those.
IMG_5974a.jpg

We then skied right of the Guntower in spring snow into Mineral Basin. Then down to lunch at the plaza via Great Scott. Mark Meisner skier's right
IMG_5977a.jpg

Eddie skier's left
IMG_5980.JPG

Liz had taken a morning lesson and met us for lunch at 1PM. She and I went up the tram with Ed, Stefan and Al and skied Upper Silver Fox. We saw Al in the exit chute sideslipping down trying to pick up a ski we thought had come off. It was not his ski but one from another skier who had yard-saled and slid much lower.

We moved over to Gad 2 and skied the trees right of Bananas. The others were done while Liz and I headed out the Ho Chi Minh Trail for the new tradition of a trip-ending “beach party” atop Mach Schnell. Liz wanted no part of the precarious traverse around Tower 3 and skied down the very irregular Lower Cirque.

I made it to the beach shortly before 4PM.
IMG_5983a.jpg

IMG_5986.JPG

Patrol came by for sweep around 4:30.
IMG_5987.JPG

I guess I was tired after 7 days of skiing as I fell on a stubby branch and tore a hole in my ski jacket on Mach Schnell. Thanks to the brisk morning pace I finished the day with 24,600 vertical.

Tony Crocker":rb8n0s11 said:
I guess I was tired after 7 days of skiing as I fell on a stubby branch and tore a hole in my ski jacket on Mach Schnell. Thanks to the brisk morning pace I finished the day with 24,600 vertical.

Buy a good shell (no liner) and a good mid layer for insulation (I love my Arcteryx Atom, it's super small and insanely warm for what it is). On days without wind/precipitation its great to not be in a hard shell because a simple unzip of your zipper will cool you and you can zip up when you get cool. I use the Atom + a 200 weight icebreaker in temps below zero up to +30f. I have an arcteryx sidewinder shell and with that and the other items mentioned can pretty much be comfortable in any reasonable temperature. Now, if I could just figure out how to keep my toes and fingers warm (tried hottronics, chemical warmers, etc...it's a circulation thing).

socal":2x1168fs said:
Buy a good shell (no liner) and a good mid layer for insulation

I tried to tell him that, and even found him a killer hybrid (hard shell front, Schoeller soft shell back) at the Black Diamond half-price sale. He would've been both comfortable and stylin'. But (surprise, surprise) he wouldn't hear any of it, and instead insisted upon finding an insulated outer jacket. A shell gives you so much more versatility through layering.

Nobody has more cooling issues than I do, and that jacket has zips, a very thin liner and mesh inside which probably also helps on warm days. I wore it climbing Mt. Fuji in the rain and most of the Patagonia hiking and it's comfortable over just a T-shirt for late May/June skiing at Mammoth. With enough layers below it also managed the three zero F days on the recent Canada trip. That's a very wide range of versatility and is the reason we only rarely see pics anymore of me skiing in admin's favorite ski outfit of mine. :stir:
untitled-145.jpg

socal":2x9nxibz said:
Now, if I could just figure out how to keep my toes and fingers warm
Liz has cold issues with her fingers but resists mittens unless desperate. At the same Black Diamond sale she got a set of gloves with fleece liners than may extend the temperature range for her to ski in gloves.

Tony Crocker":2lvz30ys said:
Nobody has more cooling issues than I do, and that jacket has zips, a very thin liner and mesh inside which probably also helps on warm days. I wore it climbing Mt. Fuji in the rain and most of the Patagonia hiking and it's comfortable over just a T-shirt for late May/June skiing at Mammoth. With enough layers below it also managed the three zero F days on the recent Canada trip. That's a very wide range of versatility

See what I mean, socal? He'll spend all day providing reasons why he's insistent upon an insulated jacket without even giving any rational thought to the alternative. Just like the Avy 1 course, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Not my problem. This time I didn't even try too hard, so when I saw where the conversation was going I just quietly put the jacket back on the rack and walked away.

and is the reason we only rarely see pics anymore of me skiing in admin's favorite ski outfit of mine. :stir:

How you've never been locked up by the fashion police for wearing that faded '80s fartbag in public is beyond me.

socal":2lvz30ys said:
Now, if I could just figure out how to keep my toes and fingers warm
Liz has cold issues with her fingers but resists mittens unless desperate. At the same Black Diamond sale she got a set of gloves with fleece liners than may extend the temperature range for her to ski in gloves.

Those are the Black Diamond Guide Gloves. The wool (real?) fleece is only the liner; the insulation is provided by Thinsulate. Mine are my favorite gloves ever, and they're rated to -20ºF. It's just that at $170 MSRP they're insanely expensive and they can seldom be found on sale. My first pair I found on sale for $140, and I thought that was a relatively good deal at the time. At $85 during the Black Diamond half-price weekend they almost become affordable, so I bought a replacement pair.

I cannot for the life of me understand any rationale for an insulated ski jacket instead of the far more versatile shell, *especially* in western NA where you can easily have a 30 degree temperature delta on any given day.

Marc_C":1a3v39rz said:
I cannot for the life of me understand any rationale for an insulated ski jacket instead of the far more versatile shell, *especially* in western NA where you can easily have a 30 degree temperature delta on any given day.

+1, not having a separate outer hard shell and a good warm mid layer is sorta like booking a trip right now for either Christmas 2014 in Lake Tahoe/Mammoth or Jackson Hole in March 2015.....

socal":35f70w6r said:
Marc_C":35f70w6r said:

+1, not having a separate outer hard shell and a good warm mid layer is sorta like booking a trip right now for either Christmas 2014 in Lake Tahoe/Mammoth or Jackson Hole in March 2015.....

=D>

This thread is now about how sick that air was that I stomped next to the Rasta's. :bow:

(In a stylish blue and purple shell jacket/pant combo)

Skiace":s8iyxnpw said:
This thread is now about how sick that air was that I stomped next to the Rasta's. :bow:

(In a stylish blue and purple shell jacket/pant combo)

Arguing with Tony when he's not stating facts was too fun to resist. That looks like a really nice air, any video? GoPro?

Does it matters how someone stays warm/cool? The only thing I prefer is that my ski partners where easily identifiable outerwear. This last time in Utah I spent way too much time looking at Admin's ass (the only identifiable part of his clothing is his blue pants). I prefer ridiculously colored shells, whether they keep you warm I could give a damn, just keep them bright.

rfarren":1toqyw8m said:
Does it matters how someone stays warm/cool?
When they insist on wearing an insulated jacket yet often mention and complain about heat issues, yes.

MarcC":30t8139k said:
When they insist on wearing an insulated jacket yet often mention and complain about heat issues, yes.
Perhaps because my usual mid-layer is a thin breathable merino sweater. I have a very warm fleece mid-layer but will overheat in it above ~15F or so. Shell plus the sweater probably doesn't stand up to Mammoth chronic wind up high. The jacket does, and it can easily be vented once out of the wind. Maybe some of you would rather change out the mid-layer halfway down the mountain.
rfarren":30t8139k said:
It shouldn't, but some people think they understand everyone else's physiology.

Tony Crocker":2fjccgd6 said:
rfarren":2fjccgd6 said:
It shouldn't, but some people think they understand everyone else's physiology.

Kind of like how some people think that they should decide how everyone else should use their vacation days? :-k

Back