Stowe 2/20 - 2/21

hobokenskier

Long time reader, first post. I'm heading up to Stowe this weekend and it is my first time there and first time skiing on the east coast in about 5 years. I'd say i'm an advanced skier (no expert) and like black diamonds, trees, small jumps and steep terrain. I'm going to Stowe with some intermediate skiers/snowboards and am looking for suggestions on runs I could take, while they go down some easier stuff and maybe we could meet at the bottom?

I've also heard there is some good hike-too terrain at Stowe and wouldn't mind breaking away from the group to try it out. Is it easy to get lost at Stowe or should I be pretty confident I would end up back at a lift? I know you aren't supposed to ski alone :oops: , but I don't think my group will be up for that kind of adventure.

Sorry to ramble on, but lastly does anyone know what the best ski shop near the mountain is for waxing/tuning?

I'm pretty pumped to get up there this weekend. It looks there might be a storm Thursday (up to 10inches) and a chance of some extra snow Friday and Saturday. I just hope the RV my friends rented will make it there.

Just look at the trail map, and look for lines into the trees. There's really only 2 lifts you'll be riding (quad and gondi) so taking a different trail than your friends is easy and convenient.

There is stuff above the lifts, but I wouldn't try it 1. alone and 2. if you don't consider yourself an expert. You can get into some interesting situations up there.

And no, most of it does not lead directly back to a lift.

Thanks for replying. What kind of situations do you mean (steep, small cliffs?)? I can handle most of Jackson and Utah...I guess i'm not sure where the advanced level ends and expert begins.

I agree going up alone probably isn't the greatest call. I'm thinking I can meet some people on the lifts that might be interested.

Any ideas on a good spot to grab a pint afterwards?

Unskiable cliffs, ice falls, unskiable tight trees, etc

Good beer spots: 1. Matterhorn, fun atmosphere, live music 2. The Shed, brew their own, a bit pricier 3. Rusty Nail, get some pretty big national acts through there

If you go to Burlington there is a very fun bar scene that I could tell you more about than right in Stowe.

Also, a must hit is The Alchemist right off of 89 in Waterbury. Great beer, really good food. Opens at 3, food at 4.

Don't forget to ski off the backside of Mansfield... amazing untracked snow, and real easy to get back to Stowe or Smuggs.
8-[

jamesdeluxe":y94dm8qj said:
Don't forget to ski off the backside of Mansfield... amazing untracked snow, and real easy to get back to Stowe or Smuggs.
8-[

Stop it! When the authorities come looking for the responsible schmuck, I'm pointing at you. [-(

Don't overlook the terrain served by the (relatively) new summit quad at Spruce. And with the new transfer gondola, it's quite easy getting over to Spruce.

Also, on Saturday afternoon, after the main trials on Mansfield have been tracked out, the low angle intermediate trails (i.e. Tyro) served by the (slow) lower mtn triple chair may still have some untracked, if that's your game. Enjoyable stuff if/when your legs start to tire.

I was pretty impressed with Stowe. The conditions were great too, there was fresh powder to be had in the trees all day. We spent most of our time in the trees between nosedive and cliff trail. Right above rimrock was really good.

At one point I ended up in a ravin skiers left of lower nosedive. It was really flat, really tight trees and a stream. It took us about 30minutes to find a way out of it. It was worth it for the 7 untracked turns I got down one ridge overtop the stream.

The trees skiers left of Chin cup were all untouched all day, maybe because it is technically out of bounds. I wish we could of stayed for today, it's gotta be pretty good.

hobokenskier":kvznfwml said:
At one point I ended up in a ravin skiers left of lower nosedive. It was really flat, really tight trees and a stream. It took us about 30minutes to find a way out of it. It was worth it for the 7 untracked turns I got down one ridge overtop the stream.

Been there, done that -- gotten stuck in that very ravine, that is.

Some pics. My camera lens froze mid day both days so I only have a couple.

Followed the powder to a dead end somewhere above Rimrock.
CIMG2830.JPG

Skiers left of Upper Sterling. This was at 3:30pm and was one of the only packed out spots we found. Fresh pow was there for the taking all day.
CIMG2831.JPG

Was sad to leave on Sunday. Monday must of been a great day.
PIC_0002.jpg

Back