Stowe 4/12-13

Tony Crocker":frk5cphk said:
Now I've seen everything. BobD posted in the eastern forum???
Ah, he just gets a little disoriented from time to time. A transmission from the mother ship this evening should get him pointed in the right direction. :wink:

jamesdeluxe":jxqcupao said:
From time to time, the need for a place with a real soul overcomes the desire for foof. :)
Yep. That's why a bunch of us moved away from the northeast. :lol:

Bob Dangerous wrote:

skied with ski dog & tele john today mixed between snowbird & alta, utah. sugar cliffs gully provided the highest quality corn. supportable with about a 1/4" of champagne corn softened on top.(fine stuff) 900 verts one shot. assorted minerals & peruivan gulch & gad valleys north facing in snowbird still believe it or not has alot of colder snow. packed powder of the highest speeds. skied two turbo traverses across ballroom to the top of wildcat chair. down assorted sections of wildcat trees. (magnificent). alta utah's last full weekend of operation.the best is still yet to come. bye

You know that you are killin me :!:

This week I put away all the winter toys, skis, boots and all. Clothing packed in boxes in the storage room.

Today I went mtn biking on my perfectly dry trails, followed by a dip in my pond. A little bbq on the deck as the sun set. It was over 80 degrees here today. It was very much like summer, only without the greenery. The woods have yet to bloom, though there's a little more growth on the ground every day. Flowers and plants for sale at the Farmer's Market. I left winter in Vermont this past Sunday. Why am I checking the ski forum :roll:

icelanticskier":eddkrf5w said:
Marc_C":eddkrf5w said:
Yep. That's why a bunch of us moved away from the northeast. :lol:

thank god.
rog

sharon, get that ski stuff back out for the best yet in the real NE hills.
I notice that the one arguing for the "real NE hills" is the one planning an emergency ski trip to Utah, while none of us ex-northeasterners are planning a trip to the little hills of NE. Your actions negate your response, Rog.

To me, it looks like Rog somebody who can do what he wants. Wherever he skied 07/08 is probably pretty close to his ideal. I'd be curious to know how many days he skied this year east vs. west.

jamesdeluxe":29rmbq2a said:
Heh... this crap never gets old.

I'm starting to be feed up with this pissing on the East contest. I have no regrets of living and skiing in the East. A good day skiing here is as good as a good day out West. A bad day out West sucks as bad as here.

My question for you smarty pants is, either you didn't like skiing in the East, because you didn't know where to find the goods OR you couldn't ski it. Maybe both.

Over and out.

Sorry, I am in a bad mood and pissed by tonight's hockey game.

PS. The overall quality of my Western days haven't been better than my Eastern days.

no marc c. not an emergency trip at all. when a friend in salt lake calls and tells me to hop on a plane and he'll pick me up at the airport, house me and tour to many places in your own (second) back yard that you would never even know existed to ski powder while your skis are put away cuz alta's closed and yer other transient friends are done for the year, then ya i might just come out and do some skiing.
out of 92 days skiing so far this year with a solid two months to go only 9 have been in foofville, why not add a few more? with the skiing so good out here right now though, it's a tough call. marc, tell me where YOU can ski 4300 vert of perfect snow in the wasatch right now. the bird, 3100, superior, 3000+-. well, mount washington is serving it up cream style.
glad you found a great place for your kind to settle and look down upon the skiing out here that you obviously were oblivious and probably couldn't handle.
love ya longtime
rog

My question for you smarty pants is, either you didn't like skiing in the East, because you didn't know where to find the goods OR you couldn't ski it. Maybe both.

Horace Greeley: Go WEST young man. So I did.

C'mon, your points:

1.) There are not that many GOODS in the East. They are not hiding...they just do not exist in the same quantities as the West.

2.) Can't ski. Hmmmm. Tougher. I think Western skiers suck in bumps. But there is so much more steeper terrain.

The quality of one's skiing is largely determined by one's personal circumstances, plus the effort involved to maximize one's odds.

Rog obviously has extreme flexibility, and some other easterners here like Riverc0il and powderfreak have quite a bit. But it is fatuous IMHO to use their lifestyles as advocacy for eastern vs. western skiing. Give them the same schedule in most western locales and they would do even better. If they can only have that flexibility staying in the East, it's perfectly sensible to stay put.

Patrick just makes too tempting a target for me. Perhaps it's because we share the addiction to skiing and some of the priorities like new and diverse experiences. He also has 2 kids and a less-interested-in-skiing spouse with the whole family at the exact same ages as mine 12 years ago.

What was so great about Patrick's season this year, aside from that epic weekend in Vermont Dec. 15-17? He never made to Quebec City in its record snow year. He went to Whiteface 2 weeks ago and hit the one day out of 4 that the Slides weren't open. His trip to Colorado was in October. Anybody notice what Front Range skiing has been like the past 3 weeks?

Patrick's not dumb. These things happened because he leads a pretty normal life with typical family obligations. And he lives in a metro area like most people in North America. The blunt truth is the more you lead that "normal life" the more important "where to live" becomes as a driver of quality skiing.

I have often noted that Mammoth's consistency reassures L.A. based skiers that they will rarely have a crappy experience on an advanced booked trip (which is what families with "normal lives" have to do), unlike about 1/3 of the time in the East. But I also noticed that powder experiences were hit or miss and quite infrequent. When I was Patrick's current age in 1996 I had a grand total of 3K of powder in an entire season, and decided that was unacceptable as I wasn't getting any younger.

So in 1997 I started the western Canada trips to rectify that situation. It will be interesting to see how my seasons are different going forward as a retiree. With fewer $ but much more flexibility, they may even get better by the standards of most here on FTO.

Forums like this and other ski forums in which I participate have done much for my ski habits. There is definitely a little more urgency to ski early and late than there was before I participated. When you know that others are doing it, you want to do it as well. But what I've learned is that there are more important things in life, and living where I do has been very good to me, even though it is farther from skiing that I'd like. The trade-off to move closer to snowy mountains would not be worthwhile to me because I have so many other things that are important to me here. So, if I miss a few days of skiing on either end of the ski season, so big deal. I'm already onto other things.

In fact, the last 2 weekends that I skied, my local friends and colleagues were quite shocked that there was even any skiing anywhere and couldn't believed that I actually skied on decent snow in very good conditions.

Heading out for a bike ride and a swim....later.

Wow, two hooked with a single post - hook, line, sinker, rod, reel, and maybe parts of the boat. I'm always surprised how easy it is to get some northeasterners worked into frothy, sputtering defense (denial?) on these discussion boards. Some might think you protest too much or at least need to grow some thicker skin. :)

Sharon is a good example of several of my points. Her location is mediocre, probably a bit worse than Patrick's. But her lifestyle flexibility would be degraded if she moved somewhere else.

That flexibility, while not as extreme as Rog, has allowed her to score some Vermont powder and that recent long weekend at Whiteface. I note that these long weekend trips are often put together only a week ahead to push the odds in her favor a bit. But I would also note that she does 2 western trips per season.

PS. The overall quality of my Western days haven't been better than my Eastern days.
Patrick has had exactly one ski trip lifetime to the U.S. West during the normal part of the ski season. It's still commemorated on his avatar as "The Great Trip." Sounds like
(denial?)
to me.

Marc_C":2d9fvzzm said:
Wow, two hooked with a single post - hook, line, sinker, rod, reel, and maybe parts of the boat. I'm always surprised how easy it is to get some northeasterners worked into frothy, sputtering defense (denial?) on these discussion boards. Some might think you protest too much or at least need to grow some thicker skin.

My post on page 2 smoked you out in less than four minutes.

Doctor, heal thyself.

Not sure what the goal is, when posting about the merits of western skiing, in a TR about Stowe that evolved into a potential FTO eastern connection for next spring.

Here's a flyer: One assumption behind modern economic theory, is that each individual consumer will spend his money in the way the he thinks give that him the most value. People always try to get the most for their money.

A corollary could be that people spend their life in the way that they think makes them happiest. Hey you may think they are wrong...but we each try to maximize what we've got.

It's been said over and over...if skiing is the only thing that matters in your life, you'll probably make different choices than if other things figure in.

From what I've seen on these forums there may be places (Alaska or La Grave?) that are better for skiing than Colorado or Utah. If skiing is the only consideration...are you sure you are living in the right spot?

Tony Crocker":3g442bpq said:
probably a bit worse than Patrick's.

I live in a bad location, they why did I have such a great winter?

54 days and counting. All, but 10 in the East. The skiing has been so good this year, today I've tied last season day total (September). On my record year, I reached that number around July 1st. How many days did you get when Adam and Andrew were 10 and 5?

Patrick has had exactly one ski trip lifetime to the U.S. West during the normal part of the ski season. It's still commemorated on his avatar as "The Great Trip." Sounds like
(denial?)
to me.

Ah yes, we forget about a number of trips I did in Western Canada and the Alps. You would agree that the conditions were "epic" during that "Great Trip"? If so, why am I not agreeing with the statement of Western superiority? One of the reasons why I call it the Great Trip is that it was 13 days straight at 8 different areas from Montana to Utah. I've never had a trip with so many days and ski areas, thus the Great Trip.

Is Jackson Hole always in Epic conditions? Not from what I heard from Admin's trip and your previous trips.

Today was my first day at Tremblant, why? Because the local skiing was so good that I didn't feel the desire to go this winter.

He never made to Quebec City in its record snow year.
I'm sure you wouldn't count that November powder day at MSA. Also heading there next weekend. You only see part of my season through my reports that I post, I didn't post 54 TRs this year.

Chris C":3g442bpq said:
C'mon, your points:

1.) There are not that many GOODS in the East. They are not hiding...they just do not exist in the same quantities as the West.

2.) Can't ski. Hmmmm. Tougher. I think Western skiers suck in bumps. But there is so much more steeper terrain.

I agree with that they isn't the quantity of great hills in the East as the West, but that is besides the point. Everyone agrees that Kmart has the most runs, but that doesn't make it the best in the East. Not saying that the West isn't great OR the East is better. They are just different. I could start a debate how the West sucks versus the Alps, but it doesn't in my book. These three entities are totally independent and cannot be the compare. Different in Atmosphere, Terrain, Challenge, Snow, etc.

One isn't better than the other one, just different. Why would I keep mentioning this if I've ski the West (in Epic conditions according to Tony) and the Alps AND still think that the East isn't inferior?

Patrick's true sentiments are reflected in this quote:
Quote:
If I would be in the midwest, I would probably choose at least 2 flights to the East and 4 each for West and Europe.

If cost were no object, perhaps the most devoted eastern skier on this board would ski 20% of the time in the East.

Back