Sugarbush South, VT: 04/13/07

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Another day of skiing through a storm.

Pulled into the Sugarbush parking lot at 8:30. Sugarbush reported 13 inches overnight which was spot-on. I got first tracks down Sunrise off the North Lynx lift, and while it was deep, it was also pretty heavy compared to what I skied at Stowe the day before -- one of those moments that you actually envy snowboarders. I went back up and did laps on Birch Run, and that was much easier to ski, with only 6-8 inches of fresh snow on top of the groomed base.

Picture032-2.jpg

Best runs of the day were Castle Rock Run (really soft bumps all the way down) and Moonshine (ditto).
Picture030-2.jpg

Picture025-2.jpg

Also, you forget how much great tree terrain is at Sugarbush South (lots) -- and most lines were completely untracked (I mean nothing anywhere) with perfect openings between the trees to just rip all the way down. The powder there was really easy to make turns in, and I didn't touch bottom once the entire day.
Picture023-2.jpg

Picture021-3.jpg

April 13th, incredible. On the way home, I read in the Burlington newspaper that Sugarbush now plans to stay open into May. Short of a week of 70-degree temps, they certainly have enough snow to do that.

Nice James. =D>

jamesdeluxe":2l810jpz said:
April 13th, incredible. On the way home, I read in the Burlington newspaper that Sugarbush now plans to stay open into May.

That is great news. I was planning to ski Sugarbush in two weeks anyways. Hope others will push their dates.

As for tomorrow, last day (maybe) to use my 2-for-1 at Whiteface. Look like it might snow. :-k :wink:

Wow. What an April. It's making up for that disaster known as December and January.

As for Sugarbush: Isn't it one of the most underrated mountains in the East? For my money, it may be the best all-around in Vermont, especially late in the year. Jay might have more tree skiing, Stowe slightly better snow and altitude, Killington more terrain and Mad River more gnarliness on the ground and among patrons, but the Bush has all of the above -- and it's just far enough north to hold down the numbers of bad tourists from points south and east.

(Of course, it also helps that I can get discounted tickets and lodging, but that's for another topic)

I wouldn't consider the Bush underrated nor would I consider it a good money value without discounts. It is true that it as it all but isn't the best at any one thing, probably one of the best overall mountains in New England and is a good bet for skiers and groups looking for something for everyone from the beginner to the tight tree skiing expert.

riverc0il":3unwwziq said:
I wouldn't consider the Bush underrated nor would I consider it a good money value without discounts. It is true that it as it all but isn't the best at any one thing, probably one of the best overall mountains in New England and is a good bet for skiers and groups looking for something for everyone from the beginner to the tight tree skiing expert.

Agreed. "Underrated" isn't the word, maybe "under-the-radar"... because it isn't the best at any one thing, it doesn't have a cult like Mad River or Stowe.

With the two Sugarbush areas and MRG just down the road, you could easily spend four days in the Valley. And they have MRV lift tickets that cover both areas through your lodging for, I think, $37 a day... which is a lot cheaper than Stowe.

It'll be interesting to see how Sugarbush develops as it beefs up its base and gets rid of the goofy 70s feel that made it feel past its prime for the last few decades. You can still see remnants of that on the road connecting Mount Ellen and Lincoln (German Flats?). :lol:

I really like Sbush, but sadly I did not get there this season. There is quite a variety of terrain and it can get some good snow, but one thing I dislike is the lift layout. I feel like I spend more time riding the lifts than skiing at Sbush than at any other ski area.

(Of course, it also helps that I can get discounted tickets and lodging, but that's for another topic)

Onondaga ski club??

Yes, Onondaga Ski Club.There are pluses and minuses, but lodge life can be interesting. It's good for people, like me, who often travel solo, the hermit that I am.

Back