Sugarloaf 02/15/2007

Bendude

Hi guys,

I woke up at 2 in the morning unable to get back to sleep. I've joined my friend who was in the same excitement as me. We left Montreal around 4am. They was no more snow in the sky and surprisingly the road condition was not bad at all. We reach sherbrooke around 6am. At that point we decide to go to Sugarloaf while we have some time for the road. We cross the vicinity of sherbrooke witch was full-load of snow. You can hardly spot some cars parked on the side of the road. We got some snow in the area of Megantic. The road to Sugarloaf on the US side was soo nice. Big moguls across the street. We arrive at 8.

Looking at the mountain was just incredible. You can see that it was all fresh and untrack. They first opened the double runner west to the T-bar. While getting slowly to the top, you could see the first lucky dude getting their first track. Nice S was starting to appear on the top of the t-bar.

The morning was Amazing. We took the superquad. I don't know how many time we took that one to get the powder up there. The skidder, hayburner, binder , narrow gauge etc... soooo goood. So deep.

In the afternoon the wind raise and change the condition. It was a little bit packed by the wind. The snow was fast. They opened the king pine in the afternoon. Don't know why they didn't have done that before. The wind was really strong then. On the top of the t-bar. Some guy had the gut to take a walk to the summit with that wind. Sure they got some good stuff but... :D

We ride the glade for the rest of the days. It was so DEEEP. I got my self block sometime with snow to the neck and the board under that. I'm almost 6' talls!

Not a lot of picture (actually 3!) It was damn cold to get all the stuff out. But you can see my friend with experimenting for the first time the deep white gold and eating the fresh one!

Carefully avoiding hidden obstacle in that messy and nice glade
before_Shot.jpg

Eating some of it after!
face_recup.jpg

Hey man! Why did you ask about Vermont if you end up in Maine???

:lol: Just kidding! Hope you had a blast! I've never been to Sugarloaf... What's the distance there from Montreal? How long of a drive? 2 hours from Sherbrooke isn't so bad...

Did you go out for more today?

Bendude,
Great report. Glad you had a good day. As I said in another post, that's a beautiful drive in the summer. I wasn't sure how well the road to Coburn Gore would be plowed. I guess it was OK - Right? Sugarloaf is a great mountain. Even in the early 1960's we were able to ski 2000' vertical and one trail was over 3 miles long. I regret that I wasn't good enough to ski in the trees although I did ski the snowfields once. I also used to ski Saddleback Mtn, but that would be another hour or so for you and I don't know much about it now.

BigJay":1xf6tsd7 said:
... What's the distance there from Montreal? ...?
Bendude said he left at 4 AM so that was 4 hours. Exactly what my AAA says:
To: Sugarloaf/USA, Me
Total Distance: 188.6 miles (303.5km)
Total Estimated time: 4 hrs., 4mins.
/s/ Cliff

Sugarloaf is one of my favorites in the East.

BigJay":27gnktin said:
... What's the distance there from Montreal? ...?

Idaho Cliff":27gnktin said:
Bendude said he left at 4 AM so that was 4 hours. Exactly what my AAA says:
To: Sugarloaf/USA, Me
Total Distance: 188.6 miles (303.5km)
Total Estimated time: 4 hrs., 4mins.

For me, it's generally 3 hours from Montreal. Of course, your driving above the speed limit that highway past Shebrooke to Woburn. Beware on the strench of road once you cross the border, in Moose country, be on the lookout of you don't want to have one crashing into your windshield.

Considering the road conditions, I would say 4 hours is great.

The last Lucky Luke and I went, we skiied as a blizzard was moving in. Fresh tracks everyrun, however the drive back to Bromont (45 minutes closer than Montreal) took us 5 hours. However it was worth it, the skiing was amazing.

Back