Surfin 4/21/07

Sharon

While I feel like I missed out on a great weekend of spring skiing in the east, I did get to slide on water and it was just as warm an sunny as it was back east. I spent my birthday learning to surf in Encinitas, CA (just north of San Diego).

I don't think I'll be moving out there...not close enough to the snow, but certainly surfing is a pretty fun activity.

Attachments

• learn2surf.JPG
    learn2surf.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 4,557
That's one big honkin' board. Try it on a nimble Eastern board, sister.
Seriously, surfing is at least as addictive as skiing -- probably more so, because it's got the whole power-of-the-ocean thing goin'. Oh, and if you have a great run down a mountain, you can go back up and do it again. You have to have patience for another great wave -- and it might not ever come.

'Course, no sharks in the snow. That's a plus. Probably none off San Diego, either, though.

Congratulations, dude.

What's next up, kite boarding? I saw a guy doing it when I was down South two weeks ago. Amazing. Talk about catching air. Literally. You can fly. Literally, if only for a bit. And, you know what? You can do it on Cayuga Lake!

Dave, I've already tried Kite boarding on Cayuga. I windsurf regularly, so I have befriended the Ithaca kiting community. They want me to get into it, but I am a bit leery of it at this time for a few reasons.

1. The power of the gusty winds scared me, and the reality of a kite mare is all too present (kitemare = collision with fixed object). At least with a windsurfer you can let go, drop off into the water and start over. Kiting the consequences are a bit more severe.

2. cost of gear...I already have too many $$$ sports

As for the big fat long board...well, that's what they gave me to learn on. They offered me a shorter board when I proved that I was worthy, but by the 2nd hour I was getting exhausted and this ole lady didn't need any more challenge. I was lucky to get in as many surfs as I did. Every surf successful. with that big fat floaty board I was thrilled to ride each wave all the way to the shore. I wasn't shreddin, but I was having fun for the first time. I can see how it can be addictive. I live too far from any ocean to do that. The inland surf isnt' too bad though...I do that in a whitewater kayak. There are a few really good standing waves in the ADKs and Watertown.

Got it on the first try. Twas easier than I thought.
Yeah, that's because you're coordinated, like my son Adam. Probably your windsurfing experience helped your balance. Perhaps I should have mentioned your trip to him, as he's just down the road at UCSD in La Jolla.

not close enough to the snow
How far is your closest "real mountain" (Gore?) I think your drive to N. Vermont is rather similar to Encinitas to Mammoth.

Sharon -- I don't begrude you the (relatively) long board. I wish I'd had one back in the day when I lived a block from the beach down south. I never did get the hang of it. Those short boards make Eastern surfing interesting. But I have to say, if I lived at the ocean, I would be a surfer, no doubt.

Wind surfing's cool, but it's really more sailing than surfing. Plus, it's got that John Kerry Martha's Vineyard vibe now (nothing against him, mind you).

That said, a few months ago, the New York Times had a surreal story about Great Lakes surfers. These are mostly former coastal people, primarily but not exclusively from California, who have been sentenced to inland life by jobs, marriage, family, poor life choices, etc., yet manage to keep a hand in their sport. Some guys in Cleveland described used syringes and dodging junked cars on the "beach." These people are hard core. And hard-headed. Evidently, there is at least one bona-fide surf shop in Michigan, and supposedly, it's possible to surf in Chicago (which, I know, sounds like a recent thread on telemarktips labled "Pennsylvania backcountry"; someone replied by saying the thread is either the most ridiculous he's seen or the most intriguing). I checked out a web sites the article referred to and found video of some pretty decent waves, at least by East Coast standards. Of course, the water was about 38 degrees, but the point was these people were finding a way to make it work -- kind of the way we live with skiing Greek Peak and the wilds of Dryden and Newfield.

see:

http://www.unsalted.tv

http://www.thirdcoastsurfshop.com (gotta like that name)

Of course, there isn't going to be any surfing on Cayuga Lake. But maybe Lake Ontario -- it's not that far to Chimney Bluffs ....

How far is your closest "real mountain" (Gore?) I think your drive to N. Vermont is rather similar to Encinitas to Mammoth.

Gore is 200 miles. Greek Peak is 20 miles. I ski 50+ days per year...~40% at Greek Peak. ~20% at Gore, ~15% requires air travel and the remaining ~25% requires more than a 5 hour drive.

Wind surfing's cool, but it's really more sailing than surfing.

Maybe so, but once you get that board on plane, you are definitely surfing...though you are being propelled by the wind, the feeling under the board is very similar to that of surfing. I do it because it is something I can do on the lake that is fun and independent. I like sailing, but not nearly as much as windsurfing. I dislike spending a day on someone else's large sailboat. It's fun for a little while, but I get bored being a passenger. I want to do the work. I'd sail a small boat on my own if I had one...but if the wind is up, I'd rather windsurf.

May try kiting again...they like it mostly because you get on plane right away, and yeah, catch air. I'm not a big air person, but I like the riding part and harnessing the wind...though the gusty Cayuga winds can really make is scarey. I'd like to try kiting on snow first...it is easier to learn. I never got out to do that this year because I spent all my time using gravity to ski down the hill.

What got me interested in snow kiting was the prospect of miles of untracked snow. Instead of gravity...using the wind. It is intriguing. I am sure I'll eventually try it, either on water or snow.

But what I've learned...while it is fun to have a friend show you how, there is a HUGE value in paying a professional to get you started (like with the surfing). Had I borrowed someone's board and went out on a few tips, I doubt I would have surfed as well as I did the first time out. I believe that is the case for kiting as well. I tried a friend's kite and nearly killed myself and got the kite stuck in a tree. Paying an instructor would be very valuable in this sport.

In August I'm going out to Hood River. I may try kiting, but I'm more inclined to get a windsurf lesson. I have all the gear. There is so much to learn. I just got my waterstart...but it is still a struggle. I could stand to learn to jibe and tack effectively. Both are 50/50 propositions on a very windy day. So...that should keep me busy this summer. With an August lesson in The Gorge, I could learn some techniques that will keep me busy and entertained for the fall when the winds get decent on Cayuga Lake.

The Bike Shop just called...I need $500 worth of work/parts for my bike. Shit. At least I won't need to buy lift tix this summer.

I've been around enough windsurfers to be pretty sure that it's closer to surfing than sailing in appeal due to the adrenaline factor. Waterstart is key to high wind sailing, and if you get a good lesson and enough practice at the Gorge you'll be on your way. I can't do it, so that's why I never got beyond the low intermediate stage.

Lessons are essential for kiting, due to the safety factor from what I've heard. Kiting is probably more suitable in SoCal because it's a low wind area. A local shop offers a 3-day lesson package that I might try eventually.

In August I'm going out to Hood River. I may try kiting, but I'm more inclined to get a windsurf lesson. I have all the gear. There is so much to learn. I just got my waterstart...but it is still a struggle. I could stand to learn to jibe and tack effectively.
Sharon the best place to learn how to waterstart / jibe and tack a short board is Cape Hatteres... Hands down the best place on the east coast.. You can't beat waist deep WARM water for miles.. Of course there is always Aruba..

Hood River is not very learning friendly.. Cold deep water with high winds..

There are very few things in the sporting world that beat a perfect 5.0 day IMHO....Hooked in back in the straps with nice smooth jibes.. almost orgasmic
As far as kiting goes, a lot of beaches are not allowing it any more. Due to safety issues with the guy lines and collisions with windsurfers

I think Sharon is likely to do OK at Hood River.
1) She's not a beginner. She's already made progress on waterstarting.
2) Living in upstate NY, I don't think she'll be freaked out by cold water, and I'm sure the appropriate wetsuit will be available.
3) There are some coves secluded from the main river current that are used for instruction.
4) Instruction is likely very high quality.
5) She can bring her skis with her to Hood River :wink:

Not to say that Hatteras wouldn't be better. But from what I've heard Hatteras' wind season is spring and fall, not summer. Adam and I had the waterstart lesson in Maui. If we had spent the whole week at it, we would probably have made progress.

Tony every thing you state is true....
What separates Hatteras from the rest are the long stretches of waist deep water...nothing builds confidence like shallow water..

Since she's not opposed to long drives. She should check out Cape Cod :D

jasoncapecod":f5m4nhkq said:
Tony every thing you state is true....
What separates Hatteras from the rest are the long stretches of waist deep water...nothing builds confidence like shallow water..

Since she's not opposed to long drives. She should check out Cape Cod :D

Agreed with all. Hatteras is an amazing place to sail, and Kalmus is the most dependable place in the Northeast for steady winds in mid-summer.

Back