Swain is closing

pointpeninsula

An email from a buddy who's a patroller there:
(Verbatim - I didn't fix the typo on the domain name.)

Sad news.
Tom

Dear Swain Patrollers,

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closing of Swain Resort.
The business will be listed for sale with the intent of finding an owner
who will re-open for the 2009-2010 snowsports season. Should no buyer be
found by August 15th the assets will be sold and the business will wind
down in an orderly fashion. As of close of business April 3rd Ski and
Snowboard Area Management, LLC will have no employees and the office will
remain closed. All summer activities and events are canceled.

Any remaining personal equipment can be picked up Saturday April 4th from
9 am to Noon or Monday April 6th from Noon to 7pm. If you cannot make
either time please make arrangements by sending an email to
info@swain.com.

If you are asked, season pass holders who purchased for the 2009-2010
snowsports season will be contractually protected for their purchase in a
sale agreement with any new ownership. Should the business not sell, full
refunds will be issued after August 15th.

I personally ask each of you, if you do care about the future of Swain
Resort, please let me know if you are willing to assist voluntarily in any
way over the summer should an opportunity to re-open present itself.

We will be sure to pass on further information and updates and visit
swian.com for public announcements.

Sincerely,

Eric Stearns

That sucks. Another western NY ski area bites the dust. Hopefully they will find a buyer. Until economic conditions improve that would be doubtful. The sad part is that they probably will not be able to keep the place intact. It won't take long for vandals and thieves to ruin the place. :(

Holy smokes. that's where I learned to ski, thanks to the PE requirement at RIT in 1975.
6 lessons and lifts $30. 6 rentals $30. That's where I got my love of skiing, moved to New England and never looked back.
Thanks for the start Swain. Hope a buyer gives it some love..... :cry:

OMG - RIT?

I graduated from high school in 75, and went to RIT for chem tech from then to 78. I didn't go there for my PE requirement, but I wish I had. I didn't start alpine skiing until a few years ago.
Your post brings me back.

Tom

pointpeninsula":2hyhxjhi said:
OMG - RIT?

I graduated from high school in 75, and went to RIT for chem tech from then to 78. I didn't go there for my PE requirement, but I wish I had. I didn't start alpine skiing until a few years ago.
Your post brings me back.

Tom

reunion time. BSEE 1980. :mrgreen:
Little time to socialize, little time to ski, a grueling major. It didn't make huge leaps in skiing until I graduated and had this novel thing called nights and weekends back

Seems to me the second year I went to Bristol. I never really go into those straight to the bottom, fallline trails. I tend to eat a lot of bark nowadays....

EMSC":j5zdyrge said:
Small & most un-interesting terrain, but during their peak in the 80's I used to show up for the one run of mid-Nov skiing they fought to put out before any of the other CNY/WNY ski areas. Talk about a WROD. Down to only 45K skier visits. Tough to make much snow on those kind of numbers.

http://www.wetmtv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=18005@video.wetmtv.com&navCatId=5

Ouch. 150k --> 50k visits per year.

Yes, upstate NY is tough. However, it does not explain that type of skier day collapse.

I'm somewhat surprised. I'd think Ski Denton would be tough enough to break even on with it's small hill and small population of locals. I'd focus on the school groups and beginners with Swain's terrain. They're not likely to draw the more advanced away from Bristol. I wish them luck. At least they have all of Rochester to try to entice if they put out a competitive ski surface.

This isn't their first rodeo. They also operated another ski area in the region, although I can't recall right now which one.

Back