Taos Expansion

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/0 ... sion-plan/

I thought this item in admin's news was quite noteworthy. Taos is planning to put lifts up the West Ridge and Kachina Peak. They say Highline Ridge will still require hiking, but it won't take that much effort IMHO from those 2 new lifts.

I'm sure some purists will bemoan this, but as alluded in admin's piece Taos needs that high alpine terrain to be keep up with its expert oriented competitors in the Rockies. You won't get the same quality of powder out of small storms like I had in 2007. And I'd advise even more to adhere to the "75-inch rule" for skiing Taos as that upper terrain will be getting much more traffic. But in February/March of normal or better years there will be greater variety of skiing than before once the new lifts go in.

I'm excited, this should put Taos in the top 5 lift served expert resorts in the US when snow is good.

Tony Crocker":1v19lszp said:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/09/04/forest-service-approves-taos-ski-valley-expansion-plan/

...And I'd advise even more to adhere to the "75-inch rule" for skiing Taos as that upper terrain will be getting much more traffic. ...

Exciting news, especially since I'm not really motivated to endure any more the pain of my sea level lungs as I hike to Kachina Peak. But the 75-inch rule seems a bit optimistic. Even in the Castor-Pollux trees ski bases can be ripped up until 86" are reported. Of course, that 86" might really be 75".

Jeff

Sad Day? I see your point but that hike is brutal. Silverton is a walk in the park in comparison. Not sure how many folks will actually go up there , imho sometimes the snow goes bad up there without anyone sking it sometimes.

TRam":1xxptcd1 said:
that hike is brutal
That was my opinion in 1993 after taking an hour to get about 3/4 of the way up Kachina Peak on my 3rd day away from sea level. 20 minutes up to Highline Ridge in 2007 was more manageable. Lift surface to Kachina Peak is also likely a plus for snow stability in what I would expect is often a problematic snowpack.

This is a different situation from Highlands Bowl IMHO. There is other lift served alpine terrain at Aspen/Snowmass. The Blake family is more attuned to economic reality than people give them credit for. When the numbers/research indicated they needed to open to snowboarders they did that, and I suspect they drew a similar marketing conclusion in this case.

Back