Taos Snow, Wine Fest, & Specials

How should FTO Liftlines management deal with jfslenes' self-promoting posts?

• Ban him!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's the big deal? Let sleeping dogs lie.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jfslenes

Deleted post to display my responsiveness.

Regards boarders, I hope readers understand that not everyone owns Taos Ski Valley. Many locals have plead with the ownership to allow boarders. This avid skier and biz owner is a 100% believer that boards would get Taos skier levels back where they used to be.

Pray for snow. Pray for a southerly snow path!

He's baaaaaaaack...

:roll:

OK, members, I'll put this to a poll. jfslenes has never been responsive to any of my frontchannel or backchannel pleas to cease and desist the self-promoting posts. I therefore invite your opinion via a poll I'm adding to this topic.

ahh, thanks for the chance to practice a little poetic justice. Here's one snowboarder voting to ban the Toas freak!

p.s. it's going to take a lot more than a foot to save your season. Bet your missing that extra local boarder income now :)

He's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

I prefer not to let the sleeping dog lie but to kick him when he's down.

I have complete snow data from Taos since 1971-72. The 3 lowest years for November - January snow were:
63 inches in 1980-81
71.5 inches in 1995-96
62.5 inches in 1999-2000

Season-to-date now is 48 inches. Taos needs another 15 in the rest of January to avoid being the worst start in my 35-year database.

As several of us have noted, Taos is a steep and rocky mountain where an 80-inch base is needed to make everything skiable. Taos' website today states that 3 advanced and no expert runs are open and that 30% of total terrain is open.

I hope the wine is good because the snow may not be until next season.

The southwest is having the worst snow year I can remember.... I was out of the area in 99/00, but returned that summer to watch the fires cause havoc. The snowpack around SF is non existent. Ski Santa Fe is reporting 5" from the last few storms, but the temps are so high that unless the storms start to stack up it will all just melt. They just built a new lift this summer and I am starting to think we won't get the snow to even open the top of the mountain this year. I've heard reports that in parts of the state this is the worst snowpack on record. This could be a scary fire year. :(

For the entire season 2001-02 was about as bad as 1999-2000. In 2001-02 it was the back end of the season that was super dry, and as I recall that was the year of those huge fires in Arizona and south of Denver in May.

To put the current season in perspective, Taos season snowfall now is about what it normally has by the end of November. Continued average snowfall gets everything covered about the first of February. 2 months of average snowfall from today forward takes you to late March...

Odds are at least 50/50 you can stick a fork in the 2005-06 SW ski season.

Give Arizona Snowbowl credit for telling and showing it like it is: http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/winter/snow_report.html . Perhaps they are using these pics as ammunition in their quest for snowmaking.

Here in SoCal there has been only 8 inches natural snow. Even at Big Bear, with its lake water source and huge snowmaking capacity only 40% of terrain was open for MLK weekend, the lowest percentage in 20 years.

I think jfslenes has grieviously twisted the entire purpose of FirstTracks. Sounds like he wants me to ski at Taos, even though the snow sucks. I've skiied there enough times in my life when the snow sucked, but it was at least OPEN and we were desperate for skiing.
As I've found out the hard way, even two feet of awesome powder on a lousy base, makes for nasty core shots.
Steamboat even has a official on-line snow report, that is pretty honest about whether or not the conditions, snow depth, snow quallity, temperature, crowds, wind, or any other aspect of the ski experience sucks or not. Some of my best days have been when one or even two of the above parameters sucked terribly.
But that's no exucse to drive six hours to Nex Mexico, when I can ski almost-lousy snow at Telluride, only two hours away. Latest is that T-ride has finally gotten some fresh, I'm gonna take my rock skis and find out what it's like on Friday.
But at Taos, low snow means don't go, unless you like icy groomers, or are desperate. It's gotta be deep deep deep there for the steeps to be any good (or open) more so than even Telluride.
My vote: BanBanBan- at least until it snows and his postings become meaningful-
PS anybody else catch the credit card ad during the Steelers game about skiers showing up a little too late in the season? I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself laughing. I laughed so hard I didn't get to see the name of the credit card they want me to get.

I've never seen or heard of this guy, but just for the sake of me being a boarder and him promoting Taos, I say ban him! :twisted:

kinda bites being banned, eh? :lol:

snowave":o4e2rx6s said:
I've never seen or heard of this guy, but just for the sake of me being a boarder and him promoting Taos, I say ban him! :twisted:

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, that has nothing to do with it. Use "search" near the top of the page and put his name in the author field.

Admin":3fpylf8e said:
snowave":3fpylf8e said:

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, that has nothing to do with it. Use "search" near the top of the page and put his name in the author field.

LOL, I realize that..it was a joke.. :lol: You guys here obviously don't know my sense of humor! :D

It's official. First half snowfall through Jan. 31 of 56 inches is lowest ever at Taos. Taos website says natural snowbase is 24-30 inches with 9 advanced and 2 expert trails open. Bring your oldest beater skis.

Back