The Yellowstone Club

NHpowderhound

For those who arent aware of http://www.theyellowstoneclub.com/ they are a private ski area/golf course.Members and guests only, much like a country club except it's skiing. It makes Deer Valley look like MRG(nothing against MRG,I love the place) as far as amenities go. They only have 864 residential properties for thier private mountain. They have over 2200 skiable acres and a 2700'vert plus 3 detatchable buble quads on a 13,400 acre property. So that makes for an incredibly low skier per acre ratio.
I have mixed emotions about this place. I guess if you have the money ($250,000 membership fee) and are willing to squander it in that fashion then good for you. Someone is willing to take it and I wish it was me. But I proabably never would have wanted to ski this place until you told me I couldn't! :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

The membership fee is small beans compared to the mandatory minimum investment in a home.

Admin":28ad9wuc said:
The membership fee is small beans compared to the mandatory minimum investment in a home.

As is the minimum $10 million net worth.

The one person I know who has skied there raves about it. Most of it is lift-serviced backcountry since 90% of the few people who ski there stick to the groomed slopes.

About how many of these big private areas are there in the US? Anyone know? And has anyone ever heard that the ex-speed-skiing champ Franz Weber is working at or running one of these areas?
-HDH

HDHaller asked
About how many of these big private areas are there in the US? Anyone know? And has anyone ever heard that the ex-speed-skiing champ Franz Weber is working at or running one of these areas?
I belive The Yellowstone Club is the ony one of it's kind.
Not sure about Franz Weber but Warren Miller is the Director of Skiing(honorary I belive) and Former US Ski Team alumni Hank Kashua(sp?) is Director of Marketing.
((*
*))NHPH

in Skiing Magazine, the latest one I believe... there's a pic of a sign saying "Leaving Big Sky, Entering Yellowstone Club, No Trespassing, Violators Prosecuted". I guess they sometimes get the occasional Big Sky skiier moving in on their freshies.. :lol: I'd be tempted for sure.

NHpowderhound":fcsgu6tg said:
I belive The Yellowstone Club is the ony one of it's kind. Not sure about Franz Weber but Warren Miller is the Director of Skiing(honorary I belive) and Former US Ski Team alumni Hank Kashua(sp?) is Director of Marketing.
((*
*))NHPH

Director of marketing, eh? I wonder what sort of commission ole Hank gets when he lands a new $10-mill-net-worth member.

-HDH

this place sux! it's only "better" because most people aren't allowed there. the other ski area's around are comparable.

compare WV, Loon, and Cannon. if Cannon was private.... = same thing :roll:

Well, since my net worth is still a bit shy of 10 mil I guess I'll have to wait.

P.S. Are we still in that Internet bubble thing? Or should I have sold those stocks already? :D

NHpowderhound":28tm6b9k said:
HDHaller asked
I belive The Yellowstone Club is the ony one of it's kind.
Not sure about Franz Weber but Warren Miller is the Director of Skiing(honorary I belive) and Former US Ski Team alumni Hank Kashua(sp?) is Director of Marketing.
((*
*))NHPH

Although on a smaller scale it is not one of a kind. There is an all private resort in Ellicottville NY called Hollimont. It is right over the hill from Holliday Valley. I got to ski there on invite twice last winter and it is very nice..... at least for west NY

I think there are small private ski areas in Ontario also. But Yellowstone Club is the the first on a big western mountain. The model is to golf country clubs, and on my visit in 2001 a former high school classmate had just been recruited from a country club in Palm Springs to help with marketing.

The limit is 864 memberships, and a couple of years ago at L.A. Ski Show Warren Miller said they had 150-200. But I think owner Tom Blixseth has deep enough pockets that he's willing to be patient in getting the family-oriented membership ambience that he wants.

I don't have any idea what the minimum membership required is for Yellowstone Club to be self sustaining, but it will defintely not be an issue if it gets close to 864.

That's hill-arious. I'm going to have to try that everywhere I go. Maybe the gorilla suit will work on lifties at public resorts 2. Classic. :D

Back