Timberline, OR, June 29, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Since 1990 this was my 5th attempt to ski Timberline and the first for which weather cooperated enough to run the Palmer lift up to 8,500 feet. In 1990 I skied lower lifts in drizzle for a couple of hours. I stayed at Timberline Lodge but did not ski due to torrential rain in 2012 and clear weather but high winds closing the lifts in 2014. Similar windy weather in 2018 deterred us from swinging by on the way from Bachelor to Portland airport.

It was breezy above tree line this time too, enough for me to keep my shell jacket zipped and hat on all day despite clear skies and temps in 40’s early and 50’s midday. With intensive salting and grooming for the race camps, the first two runs starting at 8:15AM were bulletproof above tree line, so we remained on Magic Mile for our first 7 runs. A few pics, first view up from the parking lot about 7:45:

IMG_6525a.JPG

Riding Magic Mile:

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

First two runs, skier’s right and left on Magic Mile:

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

The Magic Mile runs were all corn by 9:30 so we stuck with those for another hour. By 10AM Magic Mile had a lift line.

IMG_6539.JPG

At 10:30 we took our first ride up Palmer, which also had a lift line, and skied top to bottom skier’s right. At this time the snow above Palmer’s mid-loading was still frozen granular, but below that was excellent corn. By the time we rode the two lifts back up it was about 11AM and in corn mode from the top. We took some view pics. Glaciated top of Mt. Hood with some climbers on the way up:

IMG_6541.JPG

View south to Mt. Jefferson and the Sisters:

IMG_6540.JPG

Mt. Hood Ski Bowl:

IMG_6543.JPG

It’s north facing with interesting terrain but at dicey elevation range for Oregon of 3,660 – 5,010 feet. I have never skied there. We dropped by on the way down the hill and Ski Bowl has a lot of summer activities including mountain biking and an alpine slide using its lower chairlift.

IMG_6560.JPG

In late August/early September all of the skiing is done on skier’s left of Palmer above mid station with a strip down to the top of Magic Mile for downloading. In the current timeframe there is much more terrain available. Far skier’s left are two terrain parks. The lower one accessible from top of Magic Mile opened about 10:30, this pic much earlier.

IMG_6538.JPG

The upper one has a bigger pipe and features and requires a ticket surcharge ($120 vs. $97) and opened about 11:00. There is also a rope tow for those lapping the upper park. The upper part of Magic Mile had two race courses skier’s right and one skier’s left. The top of Palmer had two courses skier’s right and several skier’s left.

The designated public area on Palmer was skier’s left, closest to the lift. By the time we got up there we could go skier’s left beyond the racers and ski smooth corn to the top of the pay terrain park near Palmer’s mid-station.

IMG_6548.JPG

Below mid-station there was more room to spread out skier’s right so on all later skier’s left runs we did that.

I have always wondered how far you can ski west or east when there is snow coverage to Timberline Lodge, in the case of east not very far. The drainage beyond the terrain parks has lost nearly all of its snow already.

IMG_6552.JPG

Later we drove around to southeast facing Hood Meadows, where it’s very patchy.

IMG_6556.JPG

There is much more snow to the west so I pushed out there for one run around noon, toward Ski Bowl in the pic in that direction.

It’s wide open for about 1,000 vertical but then spines of exposed rock appear so you need to pull back east in order to make it back to Palmer’s lower station. The lower you go the bigger and longer the rock spines get, so I was not tempted to find a route to the bottom of Magic Mile. The out of bounds snow up high had just the beginnings of suncups, not yet with frozen edges that can stay frozen all day and disrupt skiing.

All of the race camps ended between 11:30 and noon, so that also meant the end of the lift line on Palmer. We then alternated left and right sides above mid-loading. Areas vacated by the racers remained in smooth corn mode until we were done. In the morning you have to walk past the length of the Timberline Lodge to reach Magic Mile, but at the end of the day there’s an exit trail direct to the parking lot.
IMG_6549.JPG

Liz quit at 12:30 while I took two more Palmer runs and quit at 1:15 with 20,900 vertical. The sunny but breezy weather was near ideal for snow conditions. I skied maybe 4,000 vertical of frozen granular early on and the only heavy slush run was the end of the day to the parking lot. The rest of the day had very high quality corn snow.

The days like this with sequential softening at Mammoth tend to be warmer, and the upper steeps at Mammoth would have never loosened up in today’s weather. But at Timberline everything faces into direct sun and nothing is more than intermediate pitch. I don’t know what it would be like on a warmer and calmer day. It’s likely that the areas used by the racers would still be good for a short while after they are done.

We had lunch at Timberline Lodge then drove to the other ski areas. We also stopped at Trillium Lake with this view of Timberline and Mt. Hood.

IMG_6550a.JPG

Last edited:
Timberline looks pretty nice/worthwhile right now. Better than when I was there in August 1999 - another big Northwest snow year. There was really only one way off Magic mile - other than the Pipe. And skier's right/west side of Palmer had melted out almost.

I remember Magic Mile was super soft upon arrival, but Palmer skied quite well as corn. More of the Palmer snowfield became available as the racers left for the day.

Are lift tickets more expensive in the summer vs. winter still?

Here are some pics for comparison sake. Old digital camera images from 20+ years ago mid/late-August.

Access road
IMG_2992.JPG

Magic Mile
IMG_3003.JPG

Palmer
IMG_3016.JPG

Return to Lodge
IMG_3050.JPG

Last edited:
1999 was a monster Northwest snow year, 149% overall and the year of the Mt. Baker world record. I have 1972 and 1974 as over 160% but that's based upon 4 or 5 areas vs. 11 in 1999. Hood Meadows had 542 inches this season (including a record 141 in April) and 640 in 1999. It's obvious from my pics that Timberline gets more than Hood Meadows. Timberline's website says 596 inches for 2021-22 and has base depth charts going back to at least 1960. I went into ski patrol after Friday's skiing and someone there is going to look for the snowfall history.

From ChrisC's pics it's obvious that August of an average season is going to be very restricted with downloading of Magic Mile. Timberline did not make it to Labor Day of the bad 2005 and 2015 seasons. As mentioned in my June 29 TR, lift tickets were $97, with a $120 option to use the larger terrain park. In a normal ski season Liz and I think the current time frame is Timberline's sweet spot: the only game in town but much more variety than in the late summer.

Timberline still does not compare to Bachelor or Mammoth when they are able and willing to stay open this late. Mammoth is always willing but only able in about 30% of seasons. Bachelor is able in about 60% but rarely willing. When A-Basin or Snowbird are open this late they are very restricted and have huge lift lines, so I'd find Timberline preferable to those.

1999 was a monster Northwest snow year, 149% overall and the year of the Mt. Baker world record. I have 1972 and 1974 as over 160% but that's based upon 4 or 5 areas vs. 11 in 1999. Hood Meadows had 542 inches this season (including a record 141 in April) and 640 in 1999. It's obvious from my pics that Timberline gets more than Hood Meadows. Timberline's website says 596 inches for 2021-22 and has base depth charts going back to at least 1960. I went into ski patrol after Friday's skiing and someone there is going to look for the snowfall history.

From ChrisC's pics it's obvious that August of an average season is going to be very restricted with downloading of Magic Mile. Timberline did not make it to Labor Day of the bad 2005 and 2015 seasons. As mentioned in my June 29 TR, lift tickets were $97, with a $120 option to use the larger terrain park. In a normal ski season Liz and I think the current time frame is Timberline's sweet spot: the only game in town but much more variety than in the late summer.

I'm going to need to verify the file date. It could be 2000. A lot of file data was lost as I transferred photos to Google and Apple clouds.

Overall in the PNW 2000 was 104% while this year was 102%. But Hood Meadows had only 364 inches in 200 vs. the 542 this year. I'm going to guess ChrisC was there in 2000. I think the Palmer snowpack had been permanent year round for decades back then and that 2005 was the first time it had completely melted out since the 1920's.

1999 in the PNW was more like 2011 and 2017 at Mammoth, and with less intense summer sun I'd suspect more snow than in ChrisC's pics, even in August.

Last edited:
Overall in the PNW 2000 was 104% while this year was 102%. But Hood Meadows had only 364 inches in 200 vs. the 542 this year. I'm going to guess ChrisC was there in 2000. I think the Palmer snowpack had been permanent year round for decades back then and that 2005 was the first time it had completely melted out since the 1920's.

1999 in the PNW was more like 2011 and 2017 at Mammoth, and with less intense summer sun I'd suspect more snow than in ChrisC's pics, even in August.

Sorry, the pics are from mid-August 2000.

During Summer 1999, I was skiing Crystal on weekends until mid-July due to the record snowfall of winter 98/99. No need to drive to Oregon.

I think I never went to Blackcomb in the summer since the Timberline Lodge ski product was closer and better (More vertical, HS Lifts, No need to take lifts, and a truck to ski on 2 T-bars).

Last edited by a moderator:
But it was only $49 then.
Reading that TR, Timberline is definitely worth twice the price with what's open now. Though like us tseeb had the benefit of moderate temperatures. I did not notice thermometers at any of the lift shacks. I was going by the OpenSnow forecast predictions of high temps of 59F at 6,700 feet. Hood Meadows had 436 inches in 2018, more than in 2000 when ChrisC was there, but the two seasons when Palmer melted out completely were between those visits.

It will be more interesting to compare these August TR's to what we hope to ski in Norway later this summer. If successful this will be Liz' first 12 month ski season, which I first accomplished in 2005, also due to a rare October start in California.

Conditions now look a lot better than my only Timber Summer skiing two months later in 2018. There was no skiing on Magic Mile then (uploaded and downloaded it carrying skis) and even the lower 1/2 of Palmer was limited and got very thin during day. But it was only $49 then.

$49? I think I paid more in August 2000. Pass discount?

Timberline Lodge is notorious for keeping ticket prices higher or at par in the Summer since they have a monopoly on the ski product during those months.

For example, ticket prices at Timberline Lodge for this past season:
  • Winter 2021/22: guests pay $97 to ski from open to close, or $75 from 12 pm to 4 pm.
  • Summer 2022: $97
Season Pass:
  • Winter 21/22: $749
  • Summer 2022: $999

The seasonal pricing makes perfect sense to me. In winter Timberline is quite flat and far inferior to Meadows and SkiBowl in terrain quality. Palmer (closed in winter) is surely the steepest chair on the mountain and basically intermediate on an absolute scale.

I was equally happy to pay monopoly pricing to ski Mt. Baldy April 22&24 and May 1 in 2020.

Back