Tuckerman Ravine, NH: 07/02/05

Here, the Natives have 27 words for "Ice", including "Packed Powder" 8)

Sledhaulingmedic":37seg9ke said:
Here, the Natives have 27 words for "Ice", including "Packed Powder" 8)
one of my number one pet peeve's in skiing, and in life in general i dare say, is people's use of the word 'ice' to describe snow conditions. i'll go to my grave saying that man made scraped is not ice! packed powder scraped is not ice and new england hard pack is not ice! ice is something that no skier in the world could hold much of an edge on. most people refer to ice as conditions in which "they" can not hold an edge on =; :? ](*,)

The proper term is frozen granular. How about a deal: we don't call it ice, and the ski areas don't call it packed powder?

:lol: not sure what to call 'it', but holding the edge is not the problem -- it is that noise in my ears that makes me think it is can't be powder! ](*,)
:wink:

That blissful silence is golden ~ ah yes, but I still do think the eastern peaks are being kept a big secret from those of us way over here! 8)

I'm thinkinking there are a few more mountains over there to check out . . . 8)

wendylynn":3oekutsi said:
:lol: not sure what to call 'it', but holding the edge is not the problem -- it is that noise in my ears that makes me think it is can't be powder! ](*,)

We Eastern Skiers are lost without that noise... that the way I felt the first time I skied out west a long time ago. "What I'm doing wrong :!: :?: "

I know I'm a little late on the draw on this one but Tucks in July..... Man

I'm impressed. I can't wait for the season to start. I started my pre-season workouts this week so I have skiing on the brain.

Back