US Car Hire

q

Anyone got any great ideas to get a half decent deal for a SUV or truck hired in Seattle?

I've searched high and low in the main places I search and struggling to get anything under 1500 bucks for 4 weeks. Only half decent deals were with Next Car or something but digging into the details you can only drive so far a day and not out of Washington. Kyte had some good deals but not sure how that would work if I wasn't at my drop off place at the time of booking(flight delay etc)

I knew this year would be expensive but currently it is a joke.

50$ a day is a good deal...
Just rented 10 days in FLA for 525$ i was thrilled.. Last year it was close to 1k...

I did a simple Expedia search for Seattle (not just airport) and got $1150-1250 for 4 weeks? You might try bidding site Hotwire...likely even better.

1674742347265.png

US car rental market was jacked after the rental companies sold off inventory during the pandemic and had to rebuild it last year when car prices were inflated. In South Carolina Oct. 2021 I paid $100/day and in Oregon Jun. 2022 $90/day. And that was just for a standard car, not SUV. FYI this price squeeze did not happen in Canada or Europe in Feb/Apr. 2022. I agree with James and ChrisC that that the prices quoted in this thread seem like the market has settled down.

There is further evidence. Used cars appreciated from the beginning of 2021 through mid-2002, which is almost unheard of. By the end of 2022 used cars had resumed their normal depreciation track. And remember all those stories about dealers charging over sticker price? That's probably going away too. Tesla steadily raised prices all through that 2021 to mid-2002 period and just recently cut them by ~10K or so.

Used cars appreciated from the beginning of 2021 through mid-2002, which is almost unheard of.
Quite insane really. My MIL had a leased SUV that we helped her turn in instead of buying out the lease (she no longer drives now). When you look at the down payment and lease payments vs the check that they paid to her to turn the leased vehicle in 2 months early... she actually got Paid money to drive the SUV for 3 years and ~22K miles! It's nuts.

Anyone got any great ideas to get a half decent deal for a SUV or truck hired in Seattle?

I've searched high and low in the main places I search and struggling to get anything under 1500 bucks for 4 weeks. Only half decent deals were with Next Car or something but digging into the details you can only drive so far a day and not out of Washington. Kyte had some good deals but not sure how that would work if I wasn't at my drop off place at the time of booking(flight delay etc)

I knew this year would be expensive but currently it is a joke.
$1500 for 4 weeks? Even though some others found somewhat better deals, that's still a great price. A few years ago (well before the pandemic) friends came up with rates on the order of $1500 per week.

Cheers ChrisC that is certainly something I hadn't considered. One to look at while watching X Games this weekend. A quick look at work and it seems fairly easy on the train to get from SeaTac to downtown too.
$1500 is rediculous compared to what I have ever paid even for 6 weeks in the past and thats even with Enterprise, Alamo etc

Cheers ChrisC that is certainly something I hadn't considered. One to look at while watching X Games this weekend. A quick look at work and it seems fairly easy on the train to get from SeaTac to downtown too.
$1500 is rediculous compared to what I have ever paid even for 6 weeks in the past and thats even with Enterprise, Alamo etc

The question is whether the uber/train eats into the savings. If you can find something just a few miles from the airport, it's likely worth it.

Booked one that can be cancelled up til day of collection on Expedia for $1080 so a massive saving. Looks like $3 train from SeaTac to downtown so a massive saving. Cheers ChrisC!
Will continue to keep an eye and if I get a better deal(hopefully at SeaTac) I will cancel and rebook in the next few weeks,

Back