Val Thorens, France, April 1-2, 2022

James and Liz are neck and neck in ski area count.
Not that the lifetime-ski-area count should be a competition (as @ChrisC mentioned, it could be larded up with uninteresting hills), but the last three seasons, I haven't skied more than 16 days each -- and don't see that changing any time soon -- so I suspect that she'll end up way ahead of me.

Last edited:
I’m at a very modest 39. 33 of those are at least a 9 hour flight away though. Many a 24 hour flight away.
I’m thinking I could be setting some kind of record for someone from Brisbane Australia.

I’m at a very modest 39. 33 of those are at least a 9 hour flight away though. Many a 24 hour flight away.
I’m thinking I could be setting some kind of record for someone from Brisbane Australia.
Yes home location matters. People who have moved around some can get some advantage. ChrisC has lived on the East Coast, Seattle and SF.

So for Brisbane, I'd suspect 39 is a rare number for someone living there all their life. There may be people there who formerly lived somewhere more convenient to skiing.

This is the reason I think Patrick's monthly ski streak is unique. It started in October 2005 and so currently stands at 199. I'll get a couple of days with him at Mammoth next month for his upcoming milestone. There are several Pacific Northwest backcountry skiers and likely many in the Alps who have longer streaks. But I believe Patrick has to be #1 for anyone living full time in eastern North America.

Back