What's left on Mt. Washington?

sven

Anyone been up the Auto Road lately and scoped out what the snowfields are looking like?

Pretty much nothing. You could link together some decent vert. of the Westside, but it would defiantly involve some rock scrambling. East snowfields are toast, the GG is pretty much done. The Upper part of the GG trail might still be in, but will probably have a lot of rocks sticking out.

sven":37pvxvo0 said:
Anyone been up the Auto Road lately and scoped out what the snowfields are looking like?

I know that the autoroad is only open up to the treeline, it might open in the next few days with the current forecast warm weather. Which is good if you're a tourist wanting to drive up to the summit, but bad if you're looking for more turns.

Right now your best bets are:

1. Left gully, the longest skiable vert in Tuckerman.

2. The west snowfields, which look like you could link from near the summit to almost down to lake of the clouds, not exactly fall line skiing (best be good with your right foot).

3. SUPRISE Sugarloaf is still rockin:
52107.JPG

Source: K2trav.com

-porter

Hey! That Sugarloaf photo is interesting! I live in St-Georges in southern Québec and it's a 2hour drive from the Loaf which i enjoyed for the first time mid-april with all the crazy snow!

When the photo was taken??? Will it be that good this week-end????
Thanks
Nicolas (here south face of Ste-Anne is all green but there's still some skiable stuff on the north side....)

salida":oaidgvfj said:
2. The west snowfields, which look like you could link from near the summit to almost down to lake of the clouds, not exactly fall line skiing (best be good with your right foot).

They're cooked. The snowfields a little north from Lakes of the Clouds are probably still decent, but that is quite far from the auto road. Monroe Brook may actually still be a pretty good option, but it might also be very sketchy since there is a raging river under the snow.

It's really too hot for May. 33c in Ottawa today.

With this type of weather in the East, it isn't a surprise that the Autoroad is NOW open to the summit.

Hopefully is still there for a bit. :oops:

Tony Crocker":1sb5bmd3 said:
3. SUPRISE Sugarloaf is still rockin:
Not that much of a surprise. Sugarloaf got 107 inches in April vs. 65 on Mt. Washington.

I've seen pics of Tremblant (from a distance), Grand Fonds (Frankontour extreme snowshoeiing) and Rimouski this last week. Rimouski got some snow on May21th (Rimouski is on the shore of the St.Lawrence River down in the Gaspé Peninsula).

If only I can convince Lucky to post part of his TR from May 12-13-14. :eek: :wink:

Austin, no I don't think they are cooked. You may have to take the skis off and hope over some rocks, but they are still skiable (as I was looking at them from the Lafayette ridge this morning). Also, was up the carters on Monday, there is roughly 3-10ft of drifted snow on that ridge, the april Nor easter really did wonders.

Patrick, we are hitting up Saddleback on Saturday... they should have similar coverage to the loaf...

Also, Khatadin opens for the season on June 1st, I guarantee they have a lot more snow than the loaf does and lines up there that could not normally be skied on June 1st surely will be skied this year. Just some ideas...

Hey Salida! I'm a bit curious about Katahdin! I have bought a book (classic ski and snowbaord tours in maine and new hampshire) and it only tells about winter trips which looks absolutely crazy to realize (conditions and park regulation) but it doesn't provide info about the 'spring/summer' season....anybody know where to find that? i'll call to the park to ask but just wanted to know if any of you ever did a spring trip up there? is there single day trips possible???
Thanks!
Nicolas

salida":3bjmgeo2 said:
Also, Khatadin opens for the season on June 1st, I guarantee they have a lot more snow than the loaf does and lines up there that could not normally be skied on June 1st surely will be skied this year. Just some ideas...

Katahdin... :shock: Chic Chocs :shock: :shock: Both while definitely have some descent snow (I imagine for K). Never been to any of them, but we are talking a hell of a road trip from Ottawa.

Have you ever ski Katahdin? In June or in the Winter? I know someone that been (not skiing) and that the approach is almost has crazy as the drive.

Hi guys, The park could be testy about you bringing skis in, I don't know. I know this time of year the dreaded abol trail seems to be the only one that is open... I would give the park a call and see what they have to say. Sneaking the skis in may be the same deal as the chic chocs.

Yes, there are plenty of lines up there to ski, some very radical ones as well. I have some pictures of June 1st a few years ago (after a bad winter) and there was still quite a bit of snow left.

Either way give the park a call.

porter

Back