Whiteface/Lake Placid

mikesathome

Tossing around possible rode trip to white-face Jan 7th, first time ever to this area, and my first time skiing anywhere in the east since 1993

I think I would rather stay in Lake Placid to check out the town, any suggestions on places to stay that has a good out door hot tub?

I probably wont be locking down anything till late DEC, as I like to wait and see how the snow fall is.

My plan was to leave Detroit and stop by Rays indoor MTB park in Cleavland for a few hours, then dive over to Holiday Valley Resort for the night. Then make a few turns there and make my way the following afternoon to White Face / Lake Placid area

any info/suggestions are much appreciated!!

mikesathome":1pwtp5zp said:
Tossing around possible rode trip to white-face Jan 7th, first time ever to this area, and my first time skiing anywhere in the east since 1993

I think I would rather stay in Lake Placid to check out the town, any suggestions on places to stay that has a good out door hot tub?

I probably wont be locking down anything till late DEC, as I like to wait and see how the snow fall is.

My plan was to leave Detroit and stop by Rays indoor MTB park in Cleavland for a few hours, then dive over to Holiday Valley Resort for the night. Then make a few turns there and make my way the following afternoon to White Face / Lake Placid area

any info/suggestions are much appreciated!!

Outdoor hot tub? Not sure about that,... but IMO after the adirondack loj, the Mirror Lake Inn is the place to stay. It's walking distance to the strip and it's really nice. There is also the Whiteface lodge, but I think that is more expensive than the Mirror Lake Inn. A cheaper option is the Art Develyn inn which has no hot-tub, however, you can always poach a hot tub at the Econo-lodge just down the road. There is also the Holiday Inn etc... Again, I feel the nicest for the price is the Mirror Lake Inn, although it is still pricey.

Powderqueen":1vhy31gm said:
Check out http://www.nyskiblog.com/

You may want to post your question in the forum there, as there are many NYS skiers who frequent this forum and would have a wealth of information for you.

From someone who frequents LP herself, that was an incredibly useful response. :roll:

rfarren":10fsymvq said:
Outdoor hot tub? Not sure about that,... but IMO after the adirondack loj, the Mirror Lake Inn is the place to stay. It's walking distance to the strip and it's really nice. There is also the Whiteface lodge, but I think that is more expensive than the Mirror Lake Inn. A cheaper option is the Art Develyn inn which has no hot-tub, however, you can always poach a hot tub at the Econo-lodge just down the road. There is also the Holiday Inn etc... Again, I feel the nicest for the price is the Mirror Lake Inn, although it is still pricey.

The best places in Placid and are rather pricey. Many of the others are old 1970's paper walled (aka cold/noisy) places with 'character'. A couple, but not many mid-range places. Depends on your budget.

mikesathome":10fsymvq said:
then dive over to Holiday Valley Resort for the night. Then make a few turns there and make my way the following afternoon to White Face / Lake Placid area

It does make the most it can out of it's 750 verts. The real attraction is the town of E'ville. Fun place with some good restaurants and bars not to be missed (well OK your probably over the whole bar thing, but it was fun being there there while in my mid-20's 8) ).

Good info EMSC, and I am never opposed to some bar hoping after a good day of skiing :)
Is the town of E'Vill far from the hill?

rfarren the Mirror Lake Inn looks nice, I am not to worried about cost to stay, thanks for the tip.

I see some VRBO rentals in the area, but most are peoples basements (kinda creeps me out) found one APT that is open, looking at that also.

This trip will be a last min. decision, my back up plan is the UP of Michigan, Bohemia/Indianian Head, ski the porkies.. This all depends on where the best snow conditions are. I hope it's white face, I want more VERT, and Rays indoor MTB park looks like a fun way to start out a ski trip LOL

Here's my Lake Placid article that was posted a few months ago.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... Snowboard/

At the end, I mention the place where we stayed, which I can recommend. Less expensive than Mirror Lake, but a short walk away, very comfortable, covered parking, and right on Saranac Avenue. I've dirtbagged it many times in LP, and it was worth the couple extra shekels.

mikesathome":2295edu8 said:
Good info EMSC, and I am never opposed to some bar hoping after a good day of skiing :)
Is the town of E'Vill far from the hill?

Nope. Not far at all. Holiday Valley is right on the edge of E'ville. You could almost walk to the Depot for some pizza from the hill (if that's what you're in the mood for). The center of town is prob a mile. Don't forget to pick up a shirt that says "Aspen, the Ellicotville of the West". Definitely a party town!

mikesathome":ca5ndb47 said:
]

rfarren the Mirror Lake Inn looks nice, I am not to worried about cost to stay, thanks for the tip.

Then definitely stay at the Mirror Lake Inn, it comes with nice cookies. It's also worth getting the breakfast there. In the afternoons they also offer free tea, coffee and cookies for tea time. The spa is pretty nice there too. Eating wise, you can't go wrong at the brown dog which is right down the road, and walking distance too, so you can buy yourself that magnum of the 1990 chateau Lafite and not worry about driving back to the hotel.

Thanks for the info and link to the artical. Its a wait and watch game for the next month

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Admin":3h15p5lb said:
Powderqueen":3h15p5lb said:
Check out http://www.nyskiblog.com/

You may want to post your question in the forum there, as there are many NYS skiers who frequent this forum and would have a wealth of information for you.

From someone who frequents LP herself, that was an incredibly useful response. :roll:

Dude, I don't know anything about lodging in Lake Placid...I stay with friends.

I will say, the skiing at Whiteface on Sunday was excellent.

Report here from HighPeaksDrifter
http://www.nyskiblog.com/2010/12/whitef ... 12510.html
and my pix are here
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Whiteface-12 ... 24555.html

Actually, I guess I do know something about lodging...

The Whiteface Lodge has an awesome outdoor hot tub. I went to a conference event there.

Room start at $500.00 per night.

Poaching this hot tub would be worthwhile...but the place is quite hoity toity...though it is beautiful.

Somehow, I think my first post, citing www.nyskiblog.com as a good resource for Whiteface/Lake Placid lodging, was probably much more helpful than posting what I actually do know about lodging in Lake Placid. If I don't know something, I am happy to point you in the right direction rather than posting other non-useful information.

Powderqueen":1h5u5cbh said:

The Whiteface Lodge ...

Oddly that's the only place I have experience with in LP too.

Electric sidewalks (no shoveling). Underground parking and tunnels to get between buildings. Bowling alley.

Three (?) story great room...

Not my thing, but an amazing place.

Harvey44":en8x5t37 said:
Powderqueen":en8x5t37 said:

The Whiteface Lodge ...

Electric sidewalks (no shoveling). Underground parking and tunnels to get between buildings. Bowling alley.

Why do folks feel they need to attach the "not my thing" disclaimer? What's wrong with anything you mentioned (well, except for the bowling alley) along with elegant rooms, fine dining, etc. on the assumption that it's easily affordable for someone?

As much as I love an outdoor hottub after a good day on the slopes, 500 a night is little steep for me(not sure if that's a weekend rate lol). I start paying that much for this trip, I might beat my self up for not flying west. I travel a lot for work so I might use some points/offers from marriot as they have a decent looking place in lake placid. Looks like winter is starting up in LP. Might have a big storm come sunday/Monday!!

Marc_C":nnapa0fj said:
Why do folks feel they need to attach the "not my thing" disclaimer? What's wrong with anything you mentioned (well, except for the bowling alley) along with elegant rooms, fine dining, etc. on the assumption that it's easily affordable for someone?

I wasn't trying to be political.

I was just expressing my own personal preference, in shorthand.

To me you seem to be saying that the bowling alley isn't your thing.

Is that different?

mikesathome":23np7g8z said:
As much as I love an outdoor hottub after a good day on the slopes, 500 a night is little steep for me(not sure if that's a weekend rate lol). I start paying that much for this trip, I might beat my self up for not flying west. I travel a lot for work so I might use some points/offers from marriot as they have a decent looking place in lake placid. Looks like winter is starting up in LP. Might have a big storm come sunday/Monday!!
The WF lodge isn't worth it for the price when you consider the Adirondack Loj (relais & chateau) is about the same price. I still think the mirror lake is the quintessential LP place to stay. As far as the price is concerned you gotta remember it is one of the nicest ski towns in all of North America and also a true 4 season resort.

Marc_C":3m9fe2nl said:
Harvey44":3m9fe2nl said:
Powderqueen":3m9fe2nl said:

The Whiteface Lodge ...

Marc, I think he means that those are not the amenities that Harvey is looking for on a ski vacation, especially at $500 per night. To him the focus is the skiing. If you are going to pay $500 per night, you might as well stay slopeside at a western resort.

The Adirondack Loj does not have a hot tub (at least they didn't when I was there last). But what you do get there is true Adirondack ambience, as opposed to Lake Placid glitz.

I bet the Marriott has an indoor hot tub at their pool. I find it is tough to find outdoor hot tubs in the east, mostly because the weather is pretty harsh, making it more maintenance. I know this because I own an outdoor hot tub, and it is very difficult to fill or repair a hot tub when it is 5 degrees. But as I said, the one at the Whiteface Lodge is definitely worth poaching. I think if you go there and buy a few $15 drinks at the bar, you can probably go and enjoy the hot tub and the outdoor bonfire. They have a bunch of fireplace lounges there. It may not be worth $500 per night, but definitely worth it to visit for an evening of apres ski.

Back