women that over pack

I have travelled west 2 or three times per year over the last few years and have not had a problem limiting it to one checked bag per person.

I don't know if the airlines allow it officially, but, I use a snowboard bag and have fit up to 4 pairs of skis in it...and 3 sets of poles (yes, three sets were kids skis). I have also used it for my skis/boots/poles and several clothing items and have never had a problem. Two of those times, I was headed to SLC. I ski on 148's so my skis are short....this is the only reason I can make a boarding bag work. But, for me and the kids, it is terrific. Unfortunately, the kids have a little longer skis now and I can only fit 3 sets of skis in the bag this year. However, I do watch the weight carefully and write down what I packed where so I can re-pack to go home without worrying about the 50 pound limit. Also, I plan to do laundry!

I have shipped items, but found it to be more trouble than it is worth; especially, if you are going out of the country.

Good luck, I have never heard of the airlines charging more due to additional items in your ski bag. However, I always find a note that my bag has been "inspected" when I open it. They also might be getting even more strict....I haven't done it yet this ski season.

Also, I do not over pack....and I am female.

Annmarief":3tall86z said:
I don't know if the airlines allow it officially, but, I use a snowboard bag and have fit up to 4 pairs of skis in it...and 3 sets of poles (yes, three sets were kids skis).

Consider yourself fortunate that they didn't call that three checked bags or charge you oversize. Officially one ski bag is limited by airline policy to one set of skis and one set of poles.

Annmarief":36xwauij said:
I guess I better start being more careful?
I think that's the key point in this thread. Just because some kind of innovative packing you've done in the past wasn't called-out is no guarantee that it won't be this or future seasons. I mean, the airlines are even charging for a bag of peanuts and sodas now. One of them recently raised their ticket-change fee to $150. Do you really think that they will continue to ignore a simple way of generating an extra $100 or whatever charge?

Dropping off some guests at the airport the other week, we witnessed an argument followed by a full-on sidewalk repack - one of their bags was 54 lbs and they were trying to avoid the extra $100 it would have cost them to get it to New York ($50/leg on a two-leg flight: SLC > ORD > JFK). Our guests were asked if there was anything else in their ski bag other than one pair of skis and poles.

Assume nothing and pay attention to the airline rules.

Marc_C":1zrqrqxq said:
($50/leg on a two-leg flight: SLC > ORD > JFK).

Sounds like United...the worst airline for ski travel, and the most likely to charge you more for your bags.

I'm flying NWA this year, and still plan to put the ski pants, a coupla fleeces and parka in the ski bag to cushion my skis from damage.

If they balk...I'll be doing the repack.

Unfortunately, next year I'll be flying United :x but it will be free, except for the baggage.

I've always found NWA/KLM to be absolutely no problem going home from the USA flying out of "non-ski resort airports" in Montana and they don't even bother weighing your bags never mind checking whats in them while your at check-in. That is very different to flying out from Scotland with KLM who weigh everything and I suspect this year will be worse with all airlines trying to make an extra buck.

As for the ticket inside you ski bags that is your homeland security mob checking them and not to do with weight or whether you have a fleece in there and breaking the airlines policy. I always carry one case which includes my ski boots and one ski bag which includes skis, poles, ski gloves and a pair of gortex boots.

I travel very light for 4 weeks away, dont wash anything and never wear everything in my case :lol: :lol:

q":28foiq0k said:
I've always found NWA/KLM to be absolutely no problem going home from the USA flying out of "non-ski resort airports" in Montana and they don't even bother weighing your bags...
When was the last time you experienced this? Pretty much all the US carriers are weighing bags at all airports now. However, it's also fairly obvious that someone who handles hundreds of bags a day will get a feel for bags that are close/over and will weigh those while not weighing the 35lb-ers. So yeah, your bags are being weighed, just not always on a scale. :wink:

Since the bag charges were only instituted last fall, I think it's dangerous to assume that "I've had no problems in the past with Airline X and/or airport Y" will apply this season. 4 months from now we'll know more, and I suspect there will be a few unpleasant surprises.

I've carried 3 sets of skis in a bag before, and only been called on it once. But the bag has been just under 50 pounds. This season I will never have more than 2.

For our plane trip next Saturday, for the first time in our lives, we'll have to pay to check in bags, so we decided to send them by ground via FedEx. Two bags of skis, each with a pair of midfats, a pair of powder skis, and a pair of poles ended up costing $52 total. That's two dollars more than if we had checked them in as our second piece of luggage ($25 each).

They'll be waiting at the hotel when we arrive and it'll save us from schlepping two bags -- each weighing 25-30 lbs -- to the airport, checking them in, picking them up at ABQ, dragging them in the shuttle bus to the rental car agency (a huge PITA when you've got suitcases, boots, and other crap), etc. Also, when you rent a car in New Mexico and the rental car people see that you have skis with you, by state law they have to charge you for a roof rack, even if you don't want to use it... that's $10/day ($70 for the week we're there). As it was explained to me, several people were killed by skis rocketing forward because of a sudden stop.

After weighing the options (none of them free), this is certainly the best one.

Back