Americans Moving to Florida?

DeSantis seems to just address social issues. He’s very good at avoiding the real problems. Run away insurance cost and taxes.
Not defending this nutcase but is there a solution to FL's insurance mess other than nixing coverage or distributing catastrophic hurricane losses across blue states?

There is a semi-easy path to Florida Centrism:
  • Home Insurance market (Don't allow random contractors to sue on your behalf)
  • Restoration of the Everglades. (50% funded by Congress).
Frankly, I would focus on those two issues and drill them into Floridians' brains: Lower Home Insurance and Environmental Restoration.
  • Likely abortion terms. Keep it at 2 trimesters and women's health issues.
Assume they would poll at 50-80% approval.

No one cares about Disney's special tax zone, African-American studies or AP classes, drag queen performances, "Don't say gay" in classrooms, etc. They are non-issues and distracting.

Last edited:
Instead, Florida has Beyonce's Texas Hold 'Em for Democrats: Florida Rep. Frederica Wilson (D)

1715958135010.png

They lived longer than Rockefeller Republicans.
I'm more in between, say like Nixon/Ford. I recall that during Watergate I would comment facetiously that Nixon should serve out his term because he was a good president on policy, then go to jail. :icon-lol:

Oh no. I would avoid that like the plague (or super virulent COVID).

He used to be an affable host on CNN Crossfire, but he might end up like Rudy Guliani by the end.
I have voted conservative in the past and perhaps will do so in the future but Tucker and his fawning to Mr Trump is way too much for me.

I'm more in between, say like Nixon/Ford. . . . Nixon was a good president on policy . . . .
For the purposes of this discussion only, I'll very grudgingly allow the 72 amendments to the Clean Water Act and the creation of the EPA to go into his column. Ok, fine, you can put detente, Salt I, and China there as well. . . .

BUT, even putting Watergate aside for just a moment, to cite just a few examples, the bombing of Cambodia, the politically-motivated slow-walking of American withdrawal from Vietnam, the intervention in Chile, the war on drugs, and propping up psychos like Pinochet and Mobutu, all immediately spring to mind as policy choices that did real and lasting damage to American credibility and the office of the presidency at home and abroad. Sorry, but I can't help but take Hunter S. Thompson's side in this particular debate:

"He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president."

On Florida: I seem to be forced by circumstances beyond my total control to briefly visit ever 7 or 8 years or so. I don't mind the climate at all, but I &*%$#@! hate the place.

On book bans, this week the MN legislature passed a bill, which will almost certainly be signed by Governor Walz, that bans book bans in school libraries.

On hot and humid weather: within limits (higher than you might think) one can acclimate to it just like with very cold weather or altitude. I've generally found it to be worth the effort, as it can open up some interesting parts of the world to visit.

Wow, this thread opened a can of worms :)
I'm pretty conservative, but consider myself an independent politically. I usually never let politics or culture war issues diminish my appreciation of any place I visit. Must say, in my recent cross country drive I spent part of a day in little Hays, Kansas, population 21k. It seemed so refreshing and wholesome. And so far removed from the divisiveness and BS on the East and West Coasts of America:bs:

I often engage in lively political discussions but decided to take this one private.

I think for the purpose of the Florida discussion it was informative to bring up issues involved in actually living there, which ChrisC and I did during part of the pandemic period.

I agree with JimK’s sentiments above. Political discussions seem more likely to degenerate online than in person. I will confess to occasionally taking aim at some of our former admin’s FB posts.

I often engage in lively political discussions but decided to take this one private.

I think for the purpose of the Florida discussion it was informative to bring up issues involved in actually living there, which ChrisC and I did during part of the pandemic period.

I agree with JimK’s sentiments above. Political discussions seem more likely to degenerate online than in person. I will confess to occasionally taking aim at some of our former admin’s FB posts.
Political discussions shouldn’t degenerate in any situation. It’s easy to accept others may have different views. Democracy at work!

I was kidding James, just trolling you. Moving to FLA would crush my spirit and cripple my soul.

Your reaction surprised me. I was betting it would be something like:

"Wait WHAT? When did THAT happen?!?!

Sincere apologies.

I guess as a mod on NYSB, I have to be so... moderate, that I look for little chances to troll here and there (AZ).
"Moving to FLA would crush my spirit and cripple my soul.".
Well said!

Back