Europe 23/24

I'd like everyone to take note of this acknowledgement ^^.
I believe in learning from one's mistakes. In retrospect we had an impressive run of conditions in the Alps on 5 trips from 2014-2019. The only area we saw hardly any of that scraped manmade hardpack during those trips was SkiWelt. In 2022 we hit extended dry spells but that trip was in March/April so late day "home runs" into resort bases were more an issue of slush than ice. The past two seasons have taught us that intensively trafficked/scraped manmade pistes are more of a feature than an anomaly at many Alps resorts. So I now pay more attention to avoiding them, and if that means downloading a lift at the end of the day, I'm good with that and did it 4x on this trip.

1707314401436.png

Wednesday 7 February 2024 - Taste of winter on its way for most of the Alps…

The good news is that temperatures are set to turn a bit colder in the Alps later this week and over the weekend, with some snow in places. However, the snow is sadly not going to be quite as heavy or as widespread as was hoped a few days ago, with some places probably not seeing very much at all.
Panoramic view of the snow-covered ski slopes of Isola 2000 in the southern French Alps – Weather to ski – Today in the Alps, 7 February 2024

Isola 2000 in the far southern French Alps has not seen much snow this season but should be in the sweet spot for the upcoming storm, with at least 50cm of snow expected between Thursday night and Saturday

Today will be mostly fine and mild across the Alps, with some long sunny spells. However, cloud will thicken across the far northern Alps later in the day, with a little rain or snow falling overnight close to the foothills of the French (e.g. Avoriaz), Swiss (e.g. Engelberg) and perhaps the far western Austrian Alps (e.g Lech). The rain/snow limit will rise from 1400m to 1800m, with a maximum of 2-5cm of new snow.

Any showers in the far northern Alps will die away on Thursday, leaving most areas with a dry day with sunny spells. However, cloud will thicken up in the south-western Alps (e.g. Isola 2000)later, heralding the approach of the next, more significant storm. This storm will continue to influence the weather in the Alps into the weekend, most favouring the south-western Alps.

The two areas that should do very well from this storm include the far southern French Alps (e.g. Isola 2000, Auron) where 50cm or more is quite likely between Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. The second is a portion of the Italian central-western Italian Alps, roughly between Cervinia and Madesimo (including the Monte Rosa region) where 30-50cm is likely.

Most of the rest of the Alps will also see some snow but generally in lesser quantities, with typically 10-20cm, with the higher totals falling in the northern Alps (e.g. Avoriaz, Engelberg, Lech, Kaprun) falling later in the weekend.

During this storm the rain/snow limit will generally start at around 1500-1800m in the southern Alps overnight on Thursday, before gradually falling towards 1200-1500m on Friday. In the northern Alps it will also start at around 1500-1800m, but on Saturday, before falling towards 1000m on Sunday.

The upcoming snow will be very welcome for those resorts that get it in any significant quantity. However, except in a few lucky resorts in the south-western Alps (e.g. Isola 2000, Monte Rosa), itis unlikely to significantly alter the situation for long. This is due to the serious lack of snow at low altitudes across the Alps, for which big back-to-back storms are needed to radically transform the situation and relay the base – an increasingly tricky task at this time of year when the sun’s strength increases.

In terms of how the weather in the Alps will pan out for the big February half term week next week, there remains a lot of uncertainty, with a little more snow possible but not in the really big quantities that are needed right now.

This is due to the serious lack of snow at low altitudes across the Alps
This was the third time (Jan. 31) Liz and I have driven between the Tarantaise and the Upper Rhone or Chamonix. The shortest route is through Megeve.
IMG_4592.JPG

On prior trips the snow on the ground in Megeve looked unappetizing for skiing, but at least there was some snow.

Nice score: Ötzi and fresh Ischgl snow. I love the olde-school English translation: "torn him asunder."

Let us know what you think of the town's garish delights. Not my cup of tea but fun to observe.

1707483938983.png

Friday 9 February 2024 - New storm has arrived, favouring the southwestern Alps

The weather in the Alps has turned more unsettled with the arrival of a new storm from the southwest. Most of the Alps will see at least some snow over the next couple of the days, with two distinct parts of the south-western Alps set to be the most favoured.

Thin snow cover on the ski slopes of Bardonecchia, Italy – Weather to ski – Today in the Alps, 9 February 2024

Worryingly thin snow cover lower down in Bardonecchia in the Italian Piedmont, though there will be an improvement over the weekend, albeit only temporary

The two areas set to see the most snow from this storm are firstly the far southern French Alps (e.g Isola 2000), stretching just over the border into Italy (e.g. Prato Nevoso) and, secondly, a narrow sector of the central-western Italian Alps including the eastern Monte Rosa (e.g. Alagna), a little further east (Macugnaga) and over the border into the far south of Switzerland (e.g. Bosco Gurin). All these areas should see at least 30cm of new snow above 1800m by Sunday morning, perhaps a bit more, though this is a bit less than had been hoped for just a day or two ago.

Elsewhere in the Alps there will also be some snow, but generally in quite modest quantities. Expected snowfall totals between Friday and Sunday (above 1800m) include: 20cm in St Moritz; 15cm in Sestriere, Val d’Isère, Zermatt, Obergurgl and Verbier; 10cm in Avoriaz, Lech and Selva; and 5cm in Kaprun. The rain snow limit during this storm will start at around 1500-1800m but will drop towards 1000m later in the weekend.

Snow conditions will clearly improve in most parts, at least above 1500m or so, but this is not really the game-changing storm hoped for, and snow remains very thin, patchy or non-existent at low altitudes. The most solid bases are to be found at altitude in the northern French Alps (e.g Tignes, Val Thorens), the Arlberg (e.g Lech, St Anton) and in other high Austrian resorts (e.g. Obergurgl, Obertauern).

More later but I have never ever experienced a more crowded hill (including Christmas/New Year) than I had the displeasure of experiencing today at St Anton.

St. Anton is perfectly set up for the end-of-day scrapefest returning to the resort, exacerbated by the those runs being low altitude with primary SE exposure. Any group of skiers with intermediates I strongly recommend basing in Lech/Zurs. Overall I think the Arlberg is worthy of its reputation in ski quality and is the complex in Europe where I have skied the most days, maybe tied with Val d'Isere/Tignes after this year. But you need to have a plan and some navigation skills to get around efficiently.

I look forward to the detail report to comment further. I can say that as a daytrip from Landeck I would very strongly have recommended that sbooker and spouse go to Lech/Zurs/Warth not St. Anton, though that was probably constrained by their traveling by train. The amoeba-like sprawl of the Arlberg also makes me skeptical of trying to ski there as a daytrip in the first place.

I would very strongly have recommended that sbooker and spouse go to Lech/Zurs/Warth not St. Anton
Taking a less scolding tone :icon-smile:, I'd suggest that our Aussie friends have done reasonably well considering that most of their visits are to mega resorts, where it's only a matter of time before you run into hordes, especially in February. I was grateful that once out of the base area at Val d'Isere, Liz/Tony/I only hit a handful of lifts where we had to wait more than a few chairs.

Taking a less scolding tone :icon-smile:, I'd suggest that our Aussie friends have done reasonably well considering that most of their visits are to mega resorts, where it's only a matter of time before you run into hordes, especially in February. I was grateful that once out of the base area at Val d'Isere, Liz/Tony/I only hit a handful of lifts where we had to wait more than a few chairs.
More on this later but I’m skiing a relatively deserted (no exaggeration) relatively small hill as we speak. I think I have just become a convert to your somewhat ‘anti-industrial’ attitude James.

Back