Mt. Baldy, CA, Feb. 27, 2023

good on ya Tony. good luck up there - you have far more patience then i do. should be a beautiful day.

looking forward to the TR. we're in March now and sun is higher up in the sky . yesterday went through a freeze / thaw so i'm curious if there are the infamous death cookies in South Bowl from the snow melting off the trees.

I forgot an interesting story from the ticket line Monday. There were three young Latina women in front of me without ski gear. I asked them if they were going to rent and they said yes. I said there would be another big line for that and that's it's better to rent from a shop and bring the gear to the mountain. I also mentioned that I rented from Baldy as a beginner and that "it didn't end well," without the details that the ending was a blown ACL.

In further conversation one of the ladies mentioned she was from Austin, Texas visiting friends in SoCal. She had seen online posts/videos from some of us nutcases commenting on how great Baldy was vs. the other places down here, without the fine point that advice might not apply to casual skiers. But here's the amazing part. The lady from Austin bought a $30 lift and rental package for Feb. 27 in October, having no idea that she was going to an area that would be marginal at best in nearly half of seasons yet show up two days after a once-in-20-years snowstorm.

Last edited:
Back