Mt. Washington, NH - April 23, 2008

Lftgly

My last-minute request for a vacation day granted, I had the pleasure of skiing Wednesday with one of the area's best skiers-hikers-bikers-runners-paddlers. After a 2nd place finish on Saturday in the F.O.T. Inferno pentathlon, she had recovered by Wednesday and wanted more!

FOT 2008 Inferno Results

Skies were mostly sunny in the morning, with increasing clouds afternoon, light winds out of the West-Northwest, highs of 70F-80F in the valleys. At 5AM, the summit was at 42F, so the snow had not set up much overnight, and the snowcover is receding fast. The OBS record high for the date, set at 50F last April, was broken with a new high of 51F.

We stopped for coffee at the White Mountain Cafe in Gorham on our way to Pinkham Notch, Wednesday morning.

Skiing up, we gave up quickly on the Sherbie, and had continuous snow cover up the Tucks Trail to Hojos. Right Gully was really ugly at the top, climbing over undermined snow, then rocks; it's not really a viable route to the summit any longer. Took us a while to get to the summit. Skinned up a little way above Tuckerman Junction, then hiked the Tucks Trail the rest of the way.

We were able to ski down the East Snowfields, and link that with a big traverse to descend the Chute. Although the Chute was very wide (25'-30'?)at the bottleneck, four deep runnels split it into four narrow skiable lines, and you had to jump over the deep runnels a few times to make it down. We should have gone up to Left Gully or Hillmans for a better ski descent, but it was getting late, and I hadn't skied the Chute in years.

After a short walk across the rocks at the Connection Cache, we skied down the Cutler River (in spite of the hazards), and took skier's right around the big open waterfall on the Little Headwall, where we traversed the Lower Snowfields to bottom of Hillmans, and down to the Sherburne (via a visit to HoJos to see Chris).

Bare sections on the Sherburne began immediately after the crossover to Tucks Trail at the Cutler River bridge. The old narrow track through the woods on skier's left got us around the first bare stretch, and down to the upper first aid cache. Below there began a series of nice soft bumps interrupted by increasingly frequent walks, until a mere ribbon of snow remained on the edge. We finished on skis, though, from the last bridge to the parking lot.

The snow is going very fast. Mike P.'s remark on Wednesday April 16 that we'll be "skiing until June" seemed quite possible at the time, but not any longer. Chris of MWSP had just come up the Auto Road, and told us it looks like the icefall melted out in Pipeline (I had just skied over it on Sat. 4/16)

Attachments

• _IMG_2756SherbieBareSpots.jpg
    _IMG_2756SherbieBareSpots.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 6,653
  • _IMG_2745EastSnwflds.jpg
    _IMG_2745EastSnwflds.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 6,624
  • _IMG_2739EastSnwflds.jpg
    _IMG_2739EastSnwflds.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6,614
  • _IMG_2738EastSnwflds.jpg
    _IMG_2738EastSnwflds.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 6,655
  • _IMG_2724SkinAboveLionsHead.jpg
    _IMG_2724SkinAboveLionsHead.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 6,630
  • _IMG_2718_SkinUpToRightGully.jpg
    _IMG_2718_SkinUpToRightGully.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 6,651
  • _IMG_2716_CnctnCache.jpg
    _IMG_2716_CnctnCache.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 6,625
  • _IMG_2712LtlHdwl.JPG
    _IMG_2712LtlHdwl.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 6,618
A couple more.

Attachments

• _IMG_2735BallCrag.jpg
    _IMG_2735BallCrag.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 6,625
  • _IMG_2734MtWashStatePrk.jpg
    _IMG_2734MtWashStatePrk.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 6,629
  • _IMG_2755SherbieBumps.jpg
    _IMG_2755SherbieBumps.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 6,638
Great report as always.

Lftgly":20bbltxt said:
The snow is going very fast. Mike P.'s remark on Wednesday April 16 that we'll be "skiing until June" seemed quite possible at the time, but not any longer.

What do you mean by the "skiing until June, but not anyone longer" statement? Do you mean a specific area or all of Mount Washington?

Yep, I agree snow has melting a lot in the past two week, but that statement is surprising somewhat, especially based on the previous years.

we'll be skiing in june, left gully and hillmans are fat enough to last as well as e. snowfields. it's gonna get colder w/snow up high this week. i just spent the day putting in 4 laps in the e.snowfields, not a track in sight from the rain wed night, with a left gully exit. we got nuthin to worry about for june turns.
great report and pics
rog

OK, Rog & Patrick, I'll stop prognosticating about the future of weather on the Rock Pile. I certainly hope we'll be skiing in June. I realize this is like a religion to some of us, and being a skier requires a leap of faith. I believe it's going to snow again next winter. I believe that the recent below-30-year-average snow fall years will be balanced by some above-average years in the next couple decades.

I haven't verified by checking the OBS archives, but I was told the summit had not gone below freezing in over a week. The Observer's comments mentioned Ken Rancourt doesn't recall as long a period without any fog as the recent warm weather spell. I have seen with my own eyes the loss of snow pack in 4 days between Saturday and Wednesday. We are 3 feet short of the average April snowfall, with 5 days to go.

That said, I have skied Tucks twice in August, so I know it's not over until it's over. Maybe we'll get the cold weather and snow Rog predicts.

I don't believe in global warming, I don't believe in global warming, I don't believe...

Considering that Patrick was scratching around there July 1 last year, it's hard to believe he won't be doing the same this year.

I would assume the snowpack is much deeper than last year, with a very solid frozen base from the early snow. When the snow comes late like last year it doesn't build as high and usually doesn't last as long.

I base these assumption on the observation of stockpiled high water content snow in the Pacific States. It takes a very sustained stretch of hot weather to speed up this process. As I recall April 2001 in the Northeast was also very warm and took out the lift serviced skiing by early May, but I also recall that was one of the years the nutcases were still up in Tucks in August. So I still think that's what's piled up during the winter has a stronger effect than the spring weather.

I don't believe in global warming, I don't believe in global warming, I don't believe...
The past winter was something like 65th warmest of the past 100+ years, and also had the greatest northern hemisphere snowcover since 1966. I am usually the first one to comment on unusual weather often being a random fluctuation, so I make no predictions as to change in trend here. The La Nina (still increasing in strength) probably had much to do with it, as was the super strong El Nino of 1998 a likely leading cause of that year being the warmest on record.

So enjoy the longer than normal tail of the current season, and hope the continuing La Nina brings another cool winter next year.

funny that you mention April 2001 as an analog to this year in the East, as that was also the last time I can remember a big very-late-March (final weekend) snowstorm.

Typically I find the 3rd weekend of March in the East to be stormy, as well as another storm in early April. Seems like this year we got our early-April storm in very late March. I wonder if this April will set records for lack of snowfall in Northern New England, after an incredible April last year.

But it sure looks like the corn has been sweet the past 2 weeks.

There is no meteorological reason or statistical evidence to support certain weeks within a season being warmer/cooler or wetter/drier than other weeks.

The 2001 eastern snowpack was much deeper than this one, but this one is clearly second best of the past decade.

The Aprils have been similar, mostly sunny which is what you want for the good corn. The norm for New England in April is a lot of rain, 5 days and over 2 inches average at the Mansfield Stake

Tony Crocker":2vogcger said:
The Aprils have been similar, mostly sunny which is what you want for the good corn. The norm for New England in April is a lot of rain, 5 days and over 2 inches average at the Mansfield Stake
Indeed, very abnormal for April. I can not remember the last time we had a rainy day. Maybe a short shower once every week or two at best, but this month has been characterized by anything but its precipitation. Though we have not had really good corn lately because the damn temperature has been staying above freezing going on like two weeks. Still isn't bad. Today was kind of like "cream corn" I guess :lol:

not much great corn lately riv? where are you skiing? the corn has been epic round these parts since this whole warm up started. both the loaf and sunday river's corn the past two weeks have been all time as well as the rock we've even had a decent freeze the past two nights. attitash this morning and wildcat this afternoon had great corn on supportable bases.
sunday river will continue the trend tomorrow.
come on over
rog

My personal definition of corn doesn't match up well with conditions lately. Not saying the skiing has not been stellar by any means! But not freezing up at night and with temps hitting 70, the snow has been a bit mushy for true corn conditions. This morning when I woke up, the summit had a higher temp than the base and conditions today were not indicative of a freeze last night up at elevation.

From the 18th to the 23rd it did not get below freezing on the rock pile. Otherwise its has been able to refreeze over night. Some of those days there was stiff breeze (like the 20th) and it allowed to the snow to corn(y), instead of mushy. Maybe you haven't been out enough?

salida":m33x06v2 said:
Maybe you haven't been out enough?
That is always true regardless. ;) I hit more mush than corn up there so I have not been up there on the good corn days. Good skiing regardless though!

Ummm, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I must take issue with Tony as to this comment:

"There is no meteorological reason or statistical evidence to support certain weeks within a season being warmer/cooler or wetter/drier than other weeks."

Ummm...then how does one account for the (accurate) bit of folklore stating, "March: In like a lion, out like a lamb"?

That saying is not only anecdotally accurate, but I think it's supported meterologically because early March is a very active time of year (still cold in Canada, warmth starts to build across the U.S. South, and the clash of those air masses breed big storms in the East).

I know it's unfair of me to throw something out (like my contention concerning when it typically snows in March & April) and ask others to do the research, and I apologize for that. But I stick by my assertions and feel they would be backed up by the evidence over the past 20 years (since I've been skiing and therefore have been following Winter weather patterns much more closely).

Of course, I also tend to believe that cows lie down before it rains. Any uplanders wish to weigh in on that one? :?:

What I meant is that comments like "It's more likely to rain the 3rd week of January," or "the second week of March is warm and then it's more likely to snow later in the month," have no foundation.

There is a transition from winter to spring weather, so in March/April, depending upon location, there will be a period of several weeks when average temperature rises and/or average snowfall decreases. There is of course a transition in the other direction, on average in November, but also varying by region.

In the East it's mostly temperature driven. Precipitation by month is fairly even, may even be higher in spring than winter. So rain incidence climbs and snowfall decreases. I think the rain incidence starts to go up around the spring equinox, but March snowfall averages are basically equal to February's. April snowfall is 3/4 of March on top of Mt. Washington but half or less elsewhere in the East. December - March have similar averages, with November somewhat lower, also due to increased rain.

In most of the West the altitudes are high enough that spring precipitation will still be mostly snow. But spring is drier than winter, in some regions a lot drier with April getting barely half as much snow as March despite no rain. Average November snowfall is close to winter months in most of the West, though about 25% lower in California.

Utah/Colorado monthly averages are very flat November- March, with no more than 10-15% variation, and also only about a 25% dropoff in April. Some Colorado areas have a 15-20% bump in March. And April is as snowy as the other winter months near the Continetal Divide.

sszycher":2215qasi said:
cows lie down before it rains
That's the gospel truth. Can we convince the OBS to point one of their webcams at a dairy farm pasture somewhere in the valley?

Back