NE Gets Screwed Again?

Saw that on the gfs but I thought it was too early to say how it was going to play out. I think it means I should hit the poconos or mountain creek.
Bluebird Day":1d13xsxq said:
http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=2

And I don't mean the "Pats". :rotfl:

I think maybe you should turn lemons into lemonade, hit the more local/southern mountains. It'll be tough for those in Northern Vermont but people around NYC should be happy.

The Jet Stream has not been friendly to Northern NE this winter, so far. I will most likely hit the poconos if this storm happens. I am leaving for JHWY next week and see that the 10 day shows snow for the whole time we'll be out there. [-o< I wasn't going to pack beacons, but we will now.

Possible the Catskills and the southern Berkshires may pick up a little snow from this upcoming storm, but does not look good for anything further north. I'm envious of you going to Jackson Hole, IMHO the best skiing in the US, especially if snow and weather conditions are good. Have fun !

the skiing up north has been fabulous up until yesterday with my last 6 out of 8 days being full on powder days. so i disagree with anyone that says the northern mountains have been sub par, or missing the goods. the one day at cannon on jan 3rd was the best pow day i've skied since the v-day storm of 2007 and better than any of the last 30 days that i've skied in utah, and i did hit some pretty deep days in utah, especially last april in the bc. so sorry for anyone out here that can't get to or time the goods. it's been here all along.

rog

Icelantic:

I'm starting to think that you are on the New England Chamber of Commerce payroll. I agree that NH has been able to benefit from some of these storms this winter. But Northern Vermont has been left standing against the wall at the school dance. And, I have to challenge you on the claim of East = West for powder skiing. The moisture content, terrain, frequency of pow days, and verticle? No comparison. Doesn't mean the East isn't great skiing, just different. :popcorn:

Yeah, Sugarloaf went from 102 trails open this past w/e to 27 today!!!

I'm sure once the groomers get out those numbers will greatly improve but still... #-o

This is normal for the NE. This is why I have been taking my vacation during the first week of Feb for the last few years. Experience has told me that this is usually the best time to go (Tony, got any stats for what the best week is to leave the east?). Last year there was a thaw while I was away. So this year the thaw was earlier, but at least I have that trip planned and I need these few days to rest up and get ready for 10 days of skiing the Wasatch.

I gotta say...while it may not have been a deep powder winter so far, the snow we had was quality and the skiing has been excellent. It has remained mostly cold during the last month, so I can't complain. I've had 15 great days of alpine skiing so far. None of them were bad. I probably xc skied 20 times, mostly on my own land (which is now completely void of snow, my last day on it was on Friday before I left for VT).

Best thing to do now is to head west. I think the crowds out there are because people from the east are now desperate for some powder. I don't expect it to be any less crowded next weekend.

Powderqueen":389lzws4 said:
I think the crowds out there are because people from the east are now desperate for some powder.

No, the crowds in LCC this week were because of people from the Salt Lake Valley now desperate for some powder.

Powderqueen":3opj80jc said:
Best thing to do now is to head west. I think the crowds out there are because people from the east are now desperate for some powder. I don't expect it to be any less crowded next weekend.

Watch what you say about better powder out West vs. East! :sabre fight:

Bluebird Day":2nh4witl said:
Icelantic:

I'm starting to think that you are on the New England Chamber of Commerce payroll. I agree that NH has been able to benefit from some of these storms this winter. But Northern Vermont has been left standing against the wall at the school dance. And, I have to challenge you on the claim of East = West for powder skiing. The moisture content, terrain, frequency of pow days, and verticle? No comparison. Doesn't mean the East isn't great skiing, just different. :popcorn:

no, i work for EMS and myself (real estate) :mrgreen:

i could care less what happens in vermont, i don't ski there cept for when i visit my dad who lives in east burke and loads chairs at burke, and i really don't visit the bastard much if at all anymore. O:)

i ski plenty of powder here by making the most of whatever region of northern new england gets it on each storm, which is quite frequent. to tell ya the truth, i actually prefer the average moisture content of our snow here more than many places out west cuz it tends to keep you off of the hard surfaces below providing a great ride. for example, a foot of 4-6% pow at alta is generally gonna ski like crap if it hasn't snowed in awhile and the suns been out. yer just gonna be banging off all of the crap below. high pressures hit out there for sometimes long periods of time, which is why i generally don't resort ski out there unless it's absolutely puking. another thing is that all winter long i ski great untracked pow high on mt washington where even just an inch or 2 will blow in deep in the right places oftentimes many days a week. i climbed and skied close to 40,000 vert up there just last week alone and skied some great powder without anyone else around cept for who i was with and it wasn't pow at wildcat which is just across the street.

if yer gonna make generalizations of eastern skiing you should include the backcountry as well. while yer skiing 4200 vert at jackson hole, i'm skiing 4300 vert on mt washington.

the rain and thaw we just had wasn't so bad. i was surfing today at a perfect point break in rye nh where i live and it was sunny and close to 50 degrees out. the waves were perfect head high with power. tomorrow morning should be just as good. my suit is drying now for the morning. rain/warm/sun in new england january? do somethin else! there's plenty to do. plenty of skiing to come.

just sayin :stir: :popcorn:

rog

icelanticskier":f101zwkl said:
while yer skiing 4200 vert at jackson hole, i'm skiing 4300 vert on mt washington.

Ya.. but I'm riding the tram all day and getting 25K' vert a day. Why skin if you can ride the Big Red Box to the best terrain in the country? :-"

Bluebird Day":11j2ozw0 said:
icelanticskier":11j2ozw0 said:
while yer skiing 4200 vert at jackson hole, i'm skiing 4300 vert on mt washington.

Ya.. but I'm riding the tram all day and getting 25K' vert a day. Why skin if you can ride the Big Red Box to the best terrain in the country? :-"

ya, with a whole mess of wahoos and you had to fly 2500 miles to do it. plus skinning is free and keeps you in much better shape.

best terrain in the county? funny.very funny. :rotfl: you should know full well that alta has the best terrain in the country! :rotfl:

have fun BBD! send pics!

rog

ej Alta.jpg
Agreed... Great terrain at Alta. :bow:View attachment 1

Attachments

• Alta tmark.jpg
    Alta tmark.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 6,615
icelanticskier":179xhh4m said:
[
i actually prefer the average moisture content of our snow here more than many places out west cuz it tends to keep you off of the hard surfaces below providing a great ride. for example, a foot of 4-6% pow at alta is generally gonna ski like crap if it hasn't snowed in awhile and the suns been out. yer just gonna be banging off all of the crap below.
rog

but your video from last week doesn't seem to portray this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38815266@N07/4286244875/

skimore":d5ovkujy said:
icelanticskier":d5ovkujy said:
[
i actually prefer the average moisture content of our snow here more than many places out west cuz it tends to keep you off of the hard surfaces below providing a great ride. for example, a foot of 4-6% pow at alta is generally gonna ski like crap if it hasn't snowed in awhile and the suns been out. yer just gonna be banging off all of the crap below.
rog

but your video from last week doesn't seem to portray this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38815266@N07/4286244875/

nice detective work! that was some very light density and shallow snow atop a gully where it got deeper and denser about 1/4 of the way down keeping you off of the bed surface.

quantity and quality? same area a few gullies over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7zMIFN ... ture=email

rog

Admin":2p7govoh said:
icelanticskier":2p7govoh said:
quantity and quality? same area a few gullies over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7zMIFN ... ture=email

rog

February 20, 2009

wrong, it was the 19th and i never said it was the same day. hey marc i've been thinking. yer only what? 5-6 years older than me. you seem to complain about being in lots of pain and being fatigued quite often. i think what you need is to ditch those tanks for skis that you ride and do a bit more skinning to offset the resort stuff. the bc skiing is SOOOOOO much more relaxing and yields way less competition than some of the crap that's dealt with at the resorts. anyone that's sore from the pounding that resort skiing provides should consider touring cuz it's just so much easier on the body and you get way more untracked all of the time.

just a thought.

thanx for playing!

rog

icelanticskier":1tj6hskb said:
you seem to complain about being in lots of pain and being fatigued quite often. i think what you need is to ditch those tanks for skis that you ride and do a bit more skinning to offset the resort stuff. the bc skiing is SOOOOOO much more relaxing and yields way less competition than some of the crap that's dealt with at the resorts.
Even though Ice has an obvious point about the ditching the resorts occasionally -- I really miss the quiet and solitude from my x-c days -- I think this is another case of a doctor prescribing a cure for something that doesn't really bother the patient. Instead of looking at canyon traffic and powder frenzies as something that would make him pack up and go elsewhere, Admin clearly relishes the challenge of using his local's knowledge to find the places at a very popular ski area that haven't been pillaged.

This is an unsolicited psychological evaluation from someone living 2,000 miles away who has only scored one powder day out of 11 this season.

And for the record, I don't think it's those tanks that he skis on... it's the cigarettes. :wink:

Anything else you'd like me to comment on?

Back