NE Gets Screwed Again?

jamesdeluxe":2md15yu8 said:
And for the record, I don't think it's those tanks that he skis on... it's the cigarettes. :wink:

Damn, you beat me to it James. I was going to say that. :mrgreen:

Bluebird Day":39vw6f9q said:
Why skin if you can ride the Big Red Box to the best terrain in the country? :-"

I realize this thread has drifted away from this. but...

I get this all the time, in another form. "Why tele - it's looks like so much work!"

Another word for work is exercise. Why exercise at all? The easiest thing is to ride the lifts back downhill. Or stay home and watch TV. If you are missing the speed thrill there is probably a virtual reality gizmo that could give it to you.

I'm in awe of Ice's conditioning and need to be out there. Skimore, and others too.

And there's no question in my mind that when you use your body, the benefits are wideranging. I know that when I'm in better shape, I'm much happier.

Patrick":1ug0y5sq said:
Damn, you beat me to it James. I was going to say that. :mrgreen:
I've only skied one day with our fearless leader, but (and I've mentioned this before) I remember him leaving me in the dust on a couple uphill slogs, so it could be argued how much those coffin nails slow him down. In my defense, I had just arrived there from 89 feet above sea level.
8-[

Funny how this discussion (not the cigarettes) has taken on a life of its own, accompanied by much bristling from Admin. I think that everyone is just role-playing with a fantasy scenario: what would you do if you could ski ANY ski area in SLC whenever you liked?

icelanticskier":6zs9z924 said:
wrong, it was the 19th and i never said it was the same day.

No, but you certainly implied it. This is amusing. Let's recap the timeline, shall we?

1. You indicate that you've been skiing great powder on the Rockpile within the past week: "i climbed and skied close to 40,000 vert up there just last week alone and skied some great powder"

2. You also imply that it's been bottomless: "i actually prefer the average moisture content of our snow here more than many places out west cuz it tends to keep you off of the hard surfaces below providing a great ride."

3. Skimore calls :bs: on you: "but your video from last week doesn't seem to portray this"

4. You respond to Skimore's call with this video: "quantity and quality? same area a few gullies over:"

Problem is, that video is nearly a year old. (And if you're going to argue that my assessment of the situation is one day off, you might as well correct the tag on YouTube, then.)

icelanticskier":6zs9z924 said:
hey marc i've been thinking. yer only what? 5-6 years older than me. you seem to complain about being in lots of pain and being fatigued quite often. i think what you need is to ditch those tanks for skis that you ride and do a bit more skinning to offset the resort stuff.

About 5-6 years if not a few more, plus I'm a desk jockey 5 days a week. Not a good combination.

However, I know my limitations, and my limitations are my level of snow science knowledge. Something that's easily corrected, I know, but while I have a decent sense of mountain awareness I also know that I can't properly assess the snowpack and have to rely upon the skills of others. There's a certain local I know who also lacks the requisite formal skills, who skied outside the Brighton boundaries on Sunday, but you wouldn't have caught me dead out there that day (or perhaps you would have!). That's why I spend the majority of my BC days in the Wasatch early and late in the season.

And FWIW, two of my regular pair of sticks are anything but tanks. The Goliaths are rather light for their size (they are a BC ski after all), and are mounted with Silvretta Pures. My G3 Reverend/Pure setup is my regular touring rig and quite frankly is too light for in-bounds much of the time as they tend to get tossed by anything cut up. Only the CMH/Fritschi rig is approaching anything beefy, but honestly they're my most nimble setup. That's one reason I'm not a fan of demoing anything other than an AT setup, for demo bindings make heavy alpine skis even heavier. Even though I never got out on those S7 demos I picked up on Sunday, their weight was shocking just carrying them to the car.

Thanks for playing!

jamesdeluxe":6zs9z924 said:
Instead of looking at canyon traffic and powder frenzies as something that would make him pack up and go elsewhere, Admin clearly relishes the challenge of using his local's knowledge to find the places at a very popular ski area that haven't been pillaged.

There's probably some truth to that. However, if I'm able to score BC-quality untracked for 20 runs a day, rather than 2 in the BC, why wouldn't I? Note as well that I'd be dealing with the same canyon (automobile) traffic if I were skiing BC. Up-canyon traffic is often overstated, as it's usually just a product of the Sheriff's checkpoint at the mouth of the canyon, not the drive up the canyon itself. Position yourself well and it's pretty much a non-issue. I've experienced far worse traffic on the Killington Access Road or on the Mountain Road in Stowe.

And for the record, I don't think it's those tanks that he skis on... it's the cigarettes.

I've got to quit. Even I can't argue that one.

I've only skied one day with our fearless leader, but (and I've mentioned this before) I remember him leaving me in the dust on a couple uphill slogs, so it could be argued how much those coffin nails slow him down. In my defense, I had just arrived there from 89 feet above sea level.

I've always said that I only smoke to even the playing field for our visitors. :lol:

Harvey44":tgowy0t2 said:
Bluebird Day":tgowy0t2 said:
Why skin if you can ride the Big Red Box to the best terrain in the country? :-"

I realize this thread has drifted away from this. but...

I get this all the time, in another form. "Why tele - it's looks like so much work!"

I was being a bit of a smart a$$, but in all honesty, at a resort like Jackson Hole (and the Bird) the best way to fully access the terrain is by getting on the Tram. At JH, it opens up a vast BC area just beyond the gates. As you can see from my Alta photos posted earlier, I too tele and find that a day on my teles at JH is quite a leg burn. I will also spend some time in Teton Pass, when conditions are safe, and do some touring. A skin up Glory is like a death march, especially with my locally acclimatized and conditioned family, but the descent is well worth the agony.

BBD I wasn't saying I'd go to JH to skin. I think you probably know that.

Just saying that I don't understand the aversion to excercise.

I heard a co-worker complain that she had to park 2 blocks away from the gym. I don't get it. Paying money to excercise, and avoiding free excercise at all cost.

Still If I could ski 100 days a year but could only afford 50 days of lift served, I'd definitely skin the difference.

Hell, even if I was loaded, I'd do it.

many assumptions and implying aside, i'm still a little bit bummed that you, marc, missed your alarm clock that morning for the milli back bowl tour with craig, princess lea, and me. it would've been a nice tour to share with ya.

hopefully next time.

rog

icelanticskier":24cjsl4o said:
many assumptions and implying aside, i'm still a little bit bummed that you, marc, missed your alarm clock that morning for the milli back bowl tour with craig, princess lea, and me. it would've been a nice tour to share with ya.

Yeah, me too! :mrgreen:

Admin":1dc7ajw3 said:
icelanticskier":1dc7ajw3 said:

Yeah, me too! :mrgreen:

Hoping you won't leave the skis in the truck with The Kid. :stir:

This weekends storm system dumped 10" on the Jersey Shore and another system coming through the East on Weds will do the same. What a waste of snow!! ](*,) I haven't been up to New Engand all winter and suspect I won't until this pattern changes, if ever. How will the thin base survive through the spring skiing season? Thankfully, I have three more trips out West this winter. :-D

Unfortunate, but true.

Thank god that Belleayre had the guns cranking (see Harv's report below)... it would've been a very scratchy day otherwise. Getting tired of using my 67-waist skis on a solid base. My powder to hardpack ski-day ratio is really sad this year (1 to 12). Normally, by this time, even in the Catskills, I would've normally had at least a few knee-deep days.
http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/01/be ... 13110.html

Bluebird Day":2lrz4f3o said:
This weekends storm system dumped 10" on the Jersey Shore and another system coming through the East on Weds will do the same. What a waste of snow!! ](*,) I haven't been up to New Engand all winter and suspect I won't until this pattern changes, if ever. How will the thin base survive through the spring skiing season? Thankfully, I have three more trips out West this winter. :-D

Both Stowe and Jay getting 2ft+ from wednesday on and the Mansfield stake at 57.......doesn't seem so bad

jamesdeluxe":2vjh2zja said:
Even chronic bellyachers like BBD may approve of that ^^^.

I should have been clearer.... I will not travel more than 6 hours by car to ski. So, Jay and Stowe are not in my radar. More than 6 hours, and I'm on a plane to SLC and staying in Sandy or Midvale for $78 a night and taking the bus up to Alta.

The POW at Stowe looks great though =D> ... I definately have a taste of crow in my mouth. :-#

Bluebird Day":2zvjvi7y said:
jamesdeluxe":2zvjvi7y said:

I should have been clearer.... I will not travel more than 6 hours by car to ski. So, Jay and Stowe are not in my radar. More than 6 hours, and I'm on a plane to SLC and staying in Sandy or Midvale for $78 a night and taking the bus up to Alta.

:-#

I guess I don't get that. You have a time limit on travel by car, but not airlines. A 6 hr drive for a couple feet would seem to be more pleasurable experience than dealing with airlines

skimore":1r0km5d2 said:
Bluebird Day":1r0km5d2 said:
jamesdeluxe":1r0km5d2 said:

:-#

I guess I don't get that. You have a time limit on travel by car, but not airlines. A 6 hr drive for a couple feet would seem to be more pleasurable experience than dealing with airlines

Amen!!! You can either ski far away once in a while or skimore. :wink: (sorry for the pun). I vote for the more.

I find better value going out West. It's not hat much more expensive and the skiing in usually better. I don't like to drive long distances. When I go out West, I just pack my boots and avy gear and I demo skis suitable for the conditions. I meet a lot of other New York area skier who are doing the same thing. I don't think it is that unusual.

I don't blame you. I'd rather fly to Utah or JH or Denver than drive 6 hours to ski Stowe or Jay Peak - ignoring the extra cost. Admittedly, it is a hassle to fly these days, but, once you're on the plane, you can relax, unlike driving.

berkshireskier":22l99vju said:
I don't blame you. I'd rather fly to Utah or JH or Denver than drive 6 hours to ski Stowe or Jay Peak - ignoring the extra cost. Admittedly, it is a hassle to fly these days, but, once you're on the plane, you can relax, unlike driving.

Being jammed in a plane with 100 other people in seats that are too small is relaxing? A couple people taking turns driving isn't so bad

Back